Wednesday 25 January 2017

With fate conspire - Marie Brennan

Marie Brennan returns to the Onyx Court, a fairy city hidden below Queen Victoria's London. Now the Onyx Court faces its greatest challenge.

Seven years ago, Eliza's childhood sweetheart vanished from the streets of Whitechapel. No one believed her when she told them that he was stolen away by the faeries.

But she hasn't given up the search. It will lead her across London and into the hidden palace that gives refuge to faeries in the mortal world. That refuge is now crumbling, broken by the iron of the underground railway, and the resulting chaos spills over to the streets above.

Three centuries of the Onyx Court are about to come to an end. Without the palace's protection, the fae have little choice but to flee. Those who stay have one goal: to find safety in a city that does not welcome them. But what price will the mortals of London pay for that safety?


My thoughts:
This was a sad one, ok now you think omg am I gonna cry? Haha, no, I do not mean SAD, just you know melancholic. But never sad! The Fae have lived and loved London, but the iron has poisoned Father Thames. The railway is destroying more and more. The Onyx court is dying, iron is everywhere. And I do like the Fae, even if they have their share of rotten eggs too. And the Court is desperately trying to find a way to survive.... It's just sad to see them struggling.

But this book is not about the court for once. It is about Eliza, who is looking for her love that was taken by fairies. Also, she is in trouble with the law cos of the Fenians. I liked her story, her struggles, and how she never gave up. She really wanted to find Owen again.

The second big POV was Dead Rick, a fae, and honestly, eh, I did not care. He was not doing a lot, he was not doing the nicest things. And I just liked Eliza much more.

I guess this was the end then. A good conclusion to the series, and honestly, they do work as standalones cos there are new characters and the last one took place 150 years before.

Conclusion:
A nice end to this series. Intrigues and a dying land. 


Paperback, 632 pages
Published January 10th 2017 by Titan Books (first published August 30th 2011)
The Onyx Court #4
Historical fantasy
for review

21 comments:

  1. It's been a while since I've read anything fae. I find the world to be beyond my imaginative abilities, unfortunately. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really like the Fae but this sounds nice. I think I could handle it as a stand alone.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sometimes like the Fae. I guess it depends on if they are evil faeries or good nice fae. This sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read anything but this author but I've seen her name around so I'm glad you enjoyed this! I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why do I recognize this author's name? I love a good book with the fae.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds interesting and YAY FAE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh nice. I hadn't realized she wrote this. Will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a fan of her Lady Trent books and I would love to try this one. I don't mind that it's melancholy, not if it sounds so atmospheric.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore those! I can't wait for the new one

      Delete
  9. That type of sad is weird. I rather cry and get it out of the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole book is not like that, just the feeling u get at first

      Delete
  10. I usually like all things fae but this wasn't a series for me. But glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are on a roll with books that all sound so awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP