Wednesday 1 March 2017

A Mighty Dawn - Theodore Brun

Hakan, son of Haldan, chosen son of the Lord of the Northern Jutes, swears loyalty to his father in fire, in iron, and in blood. But there are always shadows that roam. When a terrible tragedy befalls Hakan's household he is forced to leave his world behind. He must seek to pledge his sword to a new king. Nameless and alone, he embarks on a journey to escape the bonds of his past and fulfil his destiny as a great warrior.

Whispers of sinister forces in the north pull Hakan onwards to a kingdom plagued by mysterious and gruesome deaths. But does he have the strength to do battle with such dark foes? Or is death the only sane thing to seek in this world of blood and broken oaths? 

My thoughts:
I liked how he wove history and myth together. Except for one thing all things could be explained. There are a lot of stuff hidden in the depths of history, and people then easily believed things they could not understand to be other things. Look at me, I am wearing antlers, I must be a shapeshifter ;) You get the point.

This is the book of Hakan. He has a nice life being the son of a Jute Lord, but then he goes and messes it all up and what a mess. We have to have an adventure and off on an adventure he goes. Though I must say I wanted to know what happened back in "Denmark", but I guess there will be more books?

I can't say too much about his "adventure" since...well...I just can not. But he meets new friends, new enemies and strange things. But then those "Swedes" are strange so of course there are strange things there.

I liked the history, even if it at times felt too mythical some how. I mean in the aspect that I do not get how they went viking after that. They had not yet but Lindisfarne is not far way. But then it is mentioned how they went fighting east so I should give them some credit. They were too busy fighting among themselves here.

Conclusion:
It's quite the adventure. He tries to make historical characters come to life, but the kings back then are of that were they real or just sagas? But he takes what he can and runs with it. Making this a fascinating saga of its own.

cover
ok

Hardcover, 608 pages
Expected publication: March 2nd 2017 by Corvus
Historical fiction
For review

30 comments:

  1. Ooooh I haven't read this one or heard of this author before I don't think. Sounds like a good one :)

    Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover looks a bit phallic to me. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why am I sitting here still snickering over the "Look at me I have antlers" remark?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not in for historicals, but I do like adventure. Glad you enjoyed this one.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of this one before, sounds like it could be good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to believe that some of the sagas and more fantastical historical people and events must have a touch of truth to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe so too, the truth what really happened is another thing

      Delete
  7. A history and mythology blend? I like the sound of that? I like Vikings too, even if it didn't really make sense :)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It starts off real enough but then there are some strange things in the woods

      Delete
  8. It does sound like an interesting mix of history and myth. I can see maybe trying this one. Looks like a chunkster too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seems like a good adventure. Love your comments about Swedes. Close neighbours!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like one I'd probably enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. so is this a fantasy then based on history? curious about this adventure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not want to call it fantasy, think more 13th warrior

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP