Thursday 23 March 2017

Sins of Empire - Brian McClellan

An epic new fantasy series from Brian McClellan, set in the same world as his wildly popular Powder Mage trilogy.

The young nation of Fatrasta is a turbulent place - a frontier destination for criminals, fortune-hunters, brave settlers, and sorcerers seeking relics of the past. Only the iron will of the lady chancellor and her secret police holds the capital city of Landfall together against the unrest of a suppressed population and the machinations of powerful empires.

The insurrection that threatens Landfall must be purged with wile and force, a task which falls on the shoulders of a spy named Michel Bravis, convicted war hero Ben Styke, and Lady Vlora Flint, a mercenary general with a past as turbulent as Landfall's present.

As loyalties are tested, revealed, and destroyed, a grim specter as old as time has been unearthed in this wild land, and the people of Landfall will soon discover that rebellion is the least of their worries. 

My thoughts:
After finishing the last trilogy I knew I had to read more by this author, and I did not have to wait long for this new series. I dove in head first and it's just one of those books you want to finish in a day, not matter length.

This one takes place 10 years later in a new place, with new people, except for Vlora, we saw her in the last series too. But you do not have to read that one to enjoy this one. This is a new country, new people, new conflicts, and when old things are mentioned it just breathes life into the novel. Of course you should totally still read that other series cos it was awesome.

It's a nation ruled by a powerful woman, but there is unrest. The people who lived there before is looked down upon and they want more say in matters. We get to know this world via a Michel, a spy. I always like those to investigate things and try to find out more what is happening so I liked him. Then we have Ben Stryke who has been in a work camp and is trying to get his life together again. He had some secrets. And of course Vlora, a general who with her merchants are paid by the chancellor. She is strong, she is awesome and takes no BS.

Rebels need to be flushed out. Conspiracies to be found and then there are even more secrets. It takes place in this city and everything is just alive. He does political intrigues so well and there is always something happening.

Conclusion:
I am totally looking forward to more. He is a really good writer. I liked his style of fantasy.

Cover
Nice

Paperback, 604 pages
Published March 9th 2017 by Orbit
Gods of Blood and Powder #1
Fantasy
Own

36 comments:

  1. A kingdom ruled by a woman? Yes, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is not around much in the book, but yes

      Delete
  2. Not my thing but I'm glad you found a fun series to read!

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not tried this author but will check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that it's a nation led by strong women! I don't read a lot of heavy fantasy but I'm glad you enjoyed this one.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a book that makes me want to read it straight through!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh this author sounds like a winner. I do love a good fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. New series can be a lot of fun to start.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad that the next series is still going to strong! Sounds like an awesome book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still haven't started reading his books... someday...

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one is new to me and it does sound interesting. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh I seem to be out of the loop on good fantasy these days- this one looks pretty good! And I love political intrigues. Will be taking a closer look.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't tried straight up fantasy in a long time, will have to check his books out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad to hear it was good. I have a review copy I need to read soon, I can't wait.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  14. that's nice to find a good book like that! I hope the others will be good too

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like another author worth trying :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh he is the author of Powder Mage series, it does sound interesting. Its awesome how much you are loving his writing.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP