Thursday 29 June 2017

Early review: Close enough to touch - Colleen Oakley

Love has no boundaries...

Jubilee Jenkins has a rare condition: she’s allergic to human touch. After a nearly fatal accident, she became reclusive, living in the confines of her home for nine years. But after her mother dies, Jubilee is forced to face the world—and the people in it—that she’s been hiding from.

Jubilee finds safe haven at her local library where she gets a job. It’s there she meets Eric Keegan, a divorced man who recently moved to town with his brilliant, troubled, adopted son. Eric is struggling to figure out how to be the dad—and man—he wants so desperately to be. Jubilee is unlike anyone he has ever met, yet he can't understand why she keeps him at arm's length. So Eric sets out to convince Jubilee to open herself and her heart to everything life can offer, setting into motion the most unlikely love story of the year.

My thoughts:
She is allergic to humans...I know! That sucks beyond words. I felt sorry for her for the things she could not experience and for the experience that made her hide.

Jubilee kissed a boy and almost died. So the next decade she spent hiding in her house. Her mum had married and moved and she was all alone. And she never sees other people, she never goes outside. At least she has the internet so it's not like she does not have contact with others. 

Then we have Eric. He adopted his friend's child after they passed away and he is dealing with the aftermath of that. And his divorce. He is a good guy, albeit a little lost.

They will of course meet. They both and the kid has issues to work through.

Jubilee will of course leave her house and live for once.

But she is still allergic to humans. It just takes one touch and she could die...

It was not that long, but it packed quite the story of loneliness in many forms. Of grief. And about wanting something you can not have.

Conclusion:
I enjoyed it. She is a good writer.

Cover
works

Paperback, 320 pages
Expected publication: July 6th 2017 by Allen & Unwin
Fiction
for review

44 comments:

  1. I was so excited to read this one, but it let me down a bit. I liked Jubilee and the other characters, but the romance and that ending annoyed me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the ending ;) ANd since I did not think it was a romance it did not bother me

      Delete
  2. Omg allergic to humans!!!!!! It sounds so unique and intense!!!!
    Haniya
    booknauthors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Curious to see how that all works out for her.

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a more grown up version of Everything, Everything. I love the sound of this one.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never heard of this one, but I like the premise. I'll have to add this to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow what an interesting, troubling premise. I'd love to know why the author chose to write about this. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like a great book. It sounds kind of like the YA book Everything, Everything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't even imagine having that allergy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Allergic to humans. Wow, that would be tough.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Allergic to humans, that sucks. It does sound a bit like Everything Everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now you say it too, I have to take a look

      Delete
  11. *waves weakly*
    This week has been a month long, I swear.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh gosh please tell me this had some kind of happy ending!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes I think I'm allergic to people too. 😃

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never heard of this one before but thanks for putting it on my radar! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Replies
    1. I know, but at least it wast touch only, or when she touched things other had touched

      Delete
  16. Allergic to humans? Well, okay then, at least that sounds like an interesting thought experiment!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ha! I was just thinking Everything Everything then saw the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This definitely sounds like a emotional one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, this one sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hard to imagine a romance with someone who can't touch anyone else. Do they work that out somehow?

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP