Sunday 18 June 2017

Strange the dreamer - Laini Taylor

The dream chooses the dreamer, not the other way around—and Lazlo Strange, war orphan and junior librarian, has always feared that his dream chose poorly. Since he was five years old he’s been obsessed with the mythic lost city of Weep, but it would take someone bolder than he to cross half the world in search of it. Then a stunning opportunity presents itself, in the person of a hero called the Godslayer and a band of legendary warriors, and he has to seize his chance or lose his dream forever.

What happened in Weep two hundred years ago to cut it off from the rest of the world? What exactly did the Godslayer slay that went by the name of god? And what is the mysterious problem he now seeks help in solving?

The answers await in Weep, but so do more mysteries—including the blue-skinned goddess who appears in Lazlo’s dreams. How did he dream her before he knew she existed? And if all the gods are dead, why does she seem so real?

Welcome to Weep. 

My thoughts:
I really do like her style. It was well written, it flowed like a fairytale and I truly enjoyed this book. The only part that came across as YA was this silly teenage angst from the Golden boy who seemed to dislike Lazlo just cos Lazlo was helpful. But luckily that little shite was not around much, and I was grateful for it cos it did take away from the otherwise great story.

Lazlo works as a librarian and loves books. Come on, you have to love him for just that. And he is a dreamer and spends his time reading and thinking about a lost city.

Weep was fascinating and I wanted to know more. Slowly the story unravels but still there are questions as the citizens just do not know. As those closest to the source just do not know. But after that epic ending I hope we get even more answers in book 2. Because the ending was good and threw quite the surprise. It did make me want to read more at once.

But I do worry. I really liked book 1 in her other series, and sure the next 2 were good but they were not as awesome as book 1 so I do worry that this series will fare the same thing.

Still, as it stands now this was a great start to a new series. There are questions, quests and gods and monsters.

Conclusion:
I can't wait to read more.

Cover
I do like how it looks in rl

Hardcover, 536 pages
Published March 28th 2017 by Hodder & Stoughton
Strange the Dreamer #1
Fantasy YA
Library

29 comments:

  1. I still need to read the 3rd book in her last series. No one liked it so I'm afraid lol

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good. I do like the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does sound good. New to me author too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never heard of the author before now. This does sound interesting. Beautiful cover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds good! I have the audiobook, I really should get started!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is something about that cover...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I go back and forth on these but maybe I should give em a go. I agree, nice cover.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sure Lazlo gets a big plus for loving books! Hope the next one doesn't nose dive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I heard great things about this author, I need to try

    ReplyDelete
  10. If a dream can choose the dreamer, a book can choose a reader. This one hasn't chosen me. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, I agree the first book in her other series was way better than the second!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow... this sounds great! Thanks for the review. I'm tagging it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really long, but it seems interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I Really liked this too. The ending was a stunner. I know what you mean about the first book being the best in her series. I am eager for more of this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope it continues to be good cos oh yeah that ending

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP