Tuesday 6 March 2018

Audio: To catch a stolen soul - RL Naquin and TMST

Kam is a soul chaser for the Hidden Government, a much harder job now that the Hidden look like everyone else. Broke, out of magic and sick of playing waitress in a pirate-themed dive bar, Kam jumps at a chance for an out-of-town mission. 

A reaper—and his loaded soul stone—have gone missing. The stone contains souls that might get permanently stuck if Kam doesn't find it, like, yesterday. She tracks the reaper down to a food truck outside Kansas City, only to find a dead reaper and no soul stone in sight. Which means that someone who should be dead killed the reaper and is running around with a powerful magic item. Not good. 

And apparently the killer is targeting food-truck owners that also happen to be Hidden. So the only thing to do is open her own truck and go undercover—goodbye Kam the Djinn, hello Mobile Food Entrepreneur—and hope that she and her new runaway friend won't be the next targets… 

Audio CD, 7 pages
Published February 27th 2018 by Tantor Audio (first published January 9th 2017)
Djinn Haven #1
Urban fantasy
For review


My thoughts:
Kam is a Djinn down on her luck.  A piece of her magic was stolen. She has lost her partner (in chasing souls), and she works at a crappy bar to earn some money. What she has is a car that still runs for some reason, and a will do live her own life, on her terms. I liked her. She was so friendly! To everyone, strangers, homeless, she did not care. All were equal in her eyes. The world need happy people like her. Or happy Djinns.

But that is not this story. She gets an assignment that takes her into the food-truck posse. I liked the food truck people, and I want to try their food. It was a nice scenery and it worked for this. Solving a murder. It was kind of like a UF cozy mystery in that way. Maybe totally like a UF Cozy mystery when I think of it. Humour, a tiny bit of romantic feelings (no romance, just the hots), friendship and a murder to solve. And food, of course.

Conclusion:
Murder, toast (I totally made grilled cheese after listening) and lots of "monsters". Fun times to be had.

Narrator: Chandra Skyee
Her Kam voice was perfect and I wanted to be friends with her. Her voice for this other person was sort of similar. But it did not matter. She made the whole book sound fun.


Tell Me Something Tuesday is a weekly discussion post on Rainy Day Ramblings where Rainy discuss a wide range of topics from books to blogging. Weigh in and join the conversation by adding your thoughts in the comments. If you want to do your own post, grab the question and answer it on your blog.

March 6th: Spring picks for 2018
I am honestly reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally bad with these. I have NO idea when books are out. I always go all wtf? when I see something I want is out. So spring picks? Well when is spring?

32 comments:

  1. Lolll im bad at these two. Rarely do i plan my reading. I go by what I am in the mood for. Thus why some of my books gets dusty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean to write more but alas, I was gone all day

      Delete
  2. Oh crap! I forgot to do TMST lol

    Oh well, I'm bad at knowing when books come out too so it probably wouldn't have been much of a post.

    That book sounds fun though.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are the same then :D I am so bad at it

      Delete
  3. ah I'm chuckling at your TMST post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That one has a creepy little feel to it. Lost souls in a stone. That's weird but I like the premise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I imagine where you live, Spring takes a long time to get there. I like the sound of a cozy, UF mystery. I think I have a couple of books by this author, A Pookie in my Closet or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. March is a winter month, April though, that is spring and May. Spring is short. The shortest month. Winter is longest for sure.

      Yes I went back and checked those and pookie was one. I had a freebie :)

      Delete
  6. I love the sound of this one Linda and I have been on such a Urban Fantasy and Paranormal kick of late.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm curious why this Djinn can be out of her lamp so easily. I'm guessing a deal with her employer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are no lamps, she comes from a parallel universe, BUT someone did catch her once and put her in one

      Delete
  8. haha you always crack me up!!! You should check out some spring books, there are some goodies coming out in the next few months. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! If there were not for lists that people have I would be clueless

      Delete
  9. haha spring is late march, april, may :D
    The Djinn story sounds fun, a cozy UF? different

    ReplyDelete
  10. hmmmm grilled cheese. And the book sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh sweet, a Djinn story! I haven't read one of those in a loooong time. Hmm, where are all the good ones at?

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NOt many djinn around, maybe they will come

      Delete
  12. Lol, a cozy UF mystery? I love it! I'd like to give the audio a shot. I'm off to see if it's at my library. Wonderful review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's an author I was curious to try

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is it just me, or is that book blurb poorly written and hard to follow? Maybe just me.

    Spring titles - I think that means MARCH - MAY... so BURN BRIGHT and LAKE SILENCE are both on my must read list. Then there is the final Iron Druid book, SCOURGED by Kevin Hearne, which comes out in April. I'm also excited for FRENCHMAN STREET by Suzanne Johnson, which I hope comes out this spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I do feel like I should write my own, but I am lazy.

      But March is so winter! ;) And omg yes March is awesome!

      Delete
  15. This sounds like a fun book. I don't know if I have read a Djinn story before. I am so ready for spring to get here!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've listened to Chandra Skyye. She doesn't have a lot of voices to choose from. I have to look at what is one my Goodreads TBR, which isn't complete for new releases.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The range was eh, but her Kam voice was just so happy and luckily Kam spoke most of the time

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP