Tuesday 13 March 2018

The girl in the tower - Katherine Arden

For a young woman in medieval Russia, the choices are stark: marriage or a life in a convent. Vasya will choose a third way: magic...

The court of the Grand Prince of Moscow is plagued by power struggles and rumours of unrest. Meanwhile bandits roam the countryside, burning the villages and kidnapping its daughters. Setting out to defeat the raiders, the Prince and his trusted companion come across a young man riding a magnificent horse.

Only Sasha, a priest with a warrior's training, recognises this 'boy' as his younger sister, thought to be dead or a witch by her village. But when Vasya proves herself in battle, riding with remarkable skill and inexplicable power, Sasha realises he must keep her secret as she may be the only way to save the city from threats both human and fantastical... 

Hardcover, UK edition, 364 pages
Published January 25th 2018 by Penguin Random House UK, Ebury Publishing (first published December 5th 2017)
Winternight Trilogy #2
YA, Historical fantasy
Library

My thoughts:
I liked it, it was an interesting story, BUT, no, it did not live up to book 1. That one was more magical and at the same time now. That one was a fairytale. This one was not.

Vasya is on the run. First, omg, I haaaate people who is all witch witch!! I am certain I was a burned at the stake in a previous life because if anyone accuses anyone of being a witch and when the priest preaches hellfire I breathe fire. SO yes Vasya left her home and is heading to her sister.

Thought break:
I found it fascinating how the Muscovites put highborn women in towers. And only let them out to church. They lived their entire lives in those towers. And that is where Olga now is. She might be married to a prince, but she is still stuck in that tower.

End:

Bandits are burning and killing and soon Vasya has the eye of the prince of Moscow. This girl does not think ahead, instead she rushes into things. So strike  one for her there, please, think about things! 
ALso, everyone thinks she is a boy....we all know that will bring drama.

I really like the winter spirit, Morzorko, I forgot how to spell it already. In this one he really shows more of himself.

There is this other person that comes into the novel and I really did not get his story at the end. It stopped making sense.

Arghhhh priests!!!!

Conclusion:
All in all, it is still a good story. It did loose some magic, which is weird since there is more magic now. 
I am looking forward to more and I hope that one will be back on track to awesomeness. I have no idea how it all will end

Cover:
I did not like the previous one, it felt so MG, but this one looks kind of cool

28 comments:

  1. I do really like that cover - sorry the book didn't work for you though.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, this one doesn’t live up to the first one. .There were some brilliant parts, but I wasn’t captivated like I was in book one. The horse race was way cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That first book blew me away, here, eh, not so much

      Delete
  3. Whenever a female character pretends to be a boy I know it's going to be interesting when it's revealed lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure this would be for me. I'll have to check out the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That does sound like an interesting storyline.

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks interesting, I'll read this eventually

    ReplyDelete
  7. It seems like you liked this one even if it didn't live up to your expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry this didn't hit as high a note as book one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review Blodeuedd, sorry it didn't live up to book one, sometimes 2nd in trilogies are like that. Hope 3 is great

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this one, and actually liked it a bit more than book one, but then both books have their strengths and weaknesses. I agree this one lost a bit of the magic, but it was also more fast-paced which made it up for me.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see that. It was different with other strengths, but I liked the slow pace of book 1 because it was a fairytale

      Delete
  11. It's always a disappointment when the second book doesn't live up to the first! Bummer! It does sound like an interesting story, though.

    Do You Dog-ear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good, but yeah, could have been amazing

      Delete
  12. It has pretty cover and medieval Russia would be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've lost me, but I love how passionate you are in the review.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP