Thursday 28 June 2018

Audio: Love Story - Lauren Layne

When Lucy Hawkins receives a job offer in San Francisco, she can't wait to spread her wings and leave her small Virginia hometown behind. Her close-knit family supports her as best they can, by handing over the keys to a station wagon that's seen better days. The catch? The cross-country trip comes with a traveling companion: her older brother's best friend, a.k.a. the guy who took Lucy's virginity hours before breaking her heart.

After spending the past four years and every last dime caring for his sick father, Reece Sullivan will do just about anything to break free of the painful memories—even if it means a two-week road trip with the one girl who's ever made it past his carefully guarded exterior. But after long days of bickering in the car turn into steamy nights in secluded motel rooms, Reece learns that, when it comes to Lucy, their story is far from over. And this time, they just might have a shot at a happy ending.

My thoughts:
These two were idiots. Total idiots. Who even goes on a 2 week car trip with someone you hate!?

Yes I actually had issues with this one, and it is a Lauren Layne! It just did not feel like a Lauren Layne. They acted like teenagers, and that is being nice to teens! If this has been a YA book and they had been 17 and 18, then I could forgive them. But a 24 and 25 year old who is stuck 2 weeks in a car and can't communicate. Instead they start a million times and never finish. Just talk! TALK. But nope, they act like sulky teens instead.

Oh and do not even get me started on Reece! He had NO reason to hate her, no reason at all. I have no idea why she kept running after him. I was all for cutting him loose and leaving him stranded somewhere. After  I finished it I was still all for her ditching Reese.

But now it sounds like I did not like it at all. I did like it. But that is all because of Amy Melissa Bentley, she is my favorite female narrator. She saved this book for me and I looked forward to her voice.

As for Rudy Sanda...yeah, I had issues. His Virginian accents annoyed me to death. His voice for Lucy was so *sorry*! redneck and like she was the kind that marries her cousin. His normal narration was fine, but when he played Lucy, or any female *cringes*

Omg, I am just complaining! It was still a good book!.
But his Lucy just kept nagging at me. And if I picture this as a YA road trip instead it works so much better. She missed her mark there. Should have been YA with a few changes.

Conclusion:
All in all, It was still good. It is worth it cos AM Bentley saves the book. Her voice is always fun.

A road trip from hell becomes a second chance at love. 

Audio CD, 7 h 10 minPublished June 12th 2018 by Tantor Audio (first published February 14th 2017)Love Unexpectedly #3Contemporary romanceFor review

19 comments:

  1. I think that I liked this one more than you did. I have listened to books where some of the voices used by the narrator drove me a little nuts before. Glad you did enjoy this one at least a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might have ,;) It was still good, but yes things kept bothering me

      Delete
  2. Great review I'm still chuckling a little :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah strange idea to do that

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that would have irritated me too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lauren Layne has been hit and miss over the last few years for me. I don't know why if they have a male and female narrator they still have the male read the female parts when his POV chapters come up and the same when the female takes over. Why can't they have the male read all the male parts no matter what and female read female parts through the whole book? It's really annoying!

    Sorry this didn't quite work out for you, but I understand why. I hate non-communication between a couple. So irritating! Wonderful review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? Sad to hear that, this was my first miss, but now when you warn me I will be prepared. I think I will avoid this series.

      Oh and that would make so much sense. They can think in their voices but yes when she speaks in his POV let her speak.

      Delete
  6. Wow, this sounds like it has a ton of issues. And even the narration had its problems? That's rare. Lucky it was only one reader who was the weak point.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it had not been for Amy it would just have been ok

      Delete
  7. I think the issues you had would annoy me too much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like too many irritants within one book here! At least one of the narrators partly saved it

    ReplyDelete
  9. 😂 I've no idea how you managed to finish this! If I ever bang my head hard enough to re-try audio books (and hey, stranger things have happened) then I'll try to remember and avoid the male narrator!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has been good in other things, so it was weird

      Delete
  10. D: WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH THEM??

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP