Saturday 2 June 2018

June is Audiobook Month: My road so far



June is Audiobook Month #jiam

Since this truly has been the year I fell in love with audiobooks I felt like I should do something, well I felt like I should do something after I saw Jen's month that she had planned ;) So I quickly decided that hey, at least on every Sat I will try to write something :) I really should have thought of it sooner, I mean I was even asked to name a fav narrator, but I still did NOT remember that June is audiobook month. Oops. But let us celebrate now



If it had not been for audio then this would have been a bleak year. I manage one book a week, but with audio I manage more! And my brain would die from just one book a week. It would be a drought, I need books.

But the road here was long. Before 2017 I managed a few a year. At first it was 1 a year, then I managed 2, then a few more, until I was up to a one a month. I liked audio, but I sure did not love it. I mostly just listened when I could at work and never anywhere else.

Then came Baby S. Suddenly I had no time for books so I said what the h. And I did send an email to a publisher just to see if I could review audiobooks. I was accepted and my road began. I dled apps and found the best one (I still miss that first one though, but it was only free for a month). Then I started to play around with speed and realised that I MUST listen at a fast speed. Yup 1.8. Only when I am doing something else where I have to think I go slowed, usually 1.5. I need the speed to not go insane.

And then, then I was an audiojunkie. Breathing audibooks! I need them on my walks with S, cos else I would clearly go insane. I need them when I am putting her to bed, or when I have woken in the night with insomnia. Or when I wake early and do not wanna wake her. I need audibooks. I could no longer live without them.

And that is how I fell in love with audio. How about you. Fallen in love yet? Or still not been bitten by the bug?

PS. If you did not know already, then check out Audiosync! They offer 2 free audiobooks each week all summer. It is a good way to get started and that is how I got started. All thanks to freebies from audiosync (even if it did take me a year to finish some)





24 comments:

  1. I am totally an audiobook junkie! I couldn't read as many books as I do if not for that. I listen on my commute back and forth to work (an hour each way) and while I exercise and cook. It makes the most menial tasks fun. I also have to speed up the narration! Usually 1.5 to 1.75 for me. It sounds too slow and the story takes too long if I don't, lol! Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, it takes soooo long and they talk sooooo slow. I can not take it. Speeding it up saved me, cos before I did not have that option. Might be the reason I fell in love

      Delete
  2. Audiobooks have saved my sanity! Since having kids, I just don't have as much time for reading. I can listen to audiobooks while I clean or work around the house, and their little fingers cannot tear the pages out. Win-win!

    I didn't always enjoy audiobooks. I found them hard to follow, but something just clicked one day and now I'm obsessed!

    L @ Do You Dog-ear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, S looooves to re-arrange my books at the moment *cringes*

      Delete
  3. I tried to speed up my audiobooks and I just can't do it. Boring 1x speed for me. I have even been know to slow things down :) I do love my audios and they really help me get through my work day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slow things down!? Insane! LOL. But then everyone is different and that is why I love that I can speed up and not if i so want

      Delete
  4. Oh yeah, June is Audiobook Month! A good month to listen to a lot of audio (but I do all the time anyway) :)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, audiobooks slowly crept up on me, too. However, now I couldn't do without them. Love the summer audiosync books.

    I'll look forward to more JIAM posts each Saturday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slow and then love :D

      I will try my best! And i honestly do not understand, I mean you even wrote in your email, Audiobook month! My brain is obvi not functioning

      Delete
  6. I love how you have been hooked by audio, I have listened for many years now to them but not at a great amount a month. I like a lot and I mean a lot of quiet in my day!! One thing I have not yet been able to do though is play them at speed greater than what they are set at as it just doesn't appeal to me when going faster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can not listen to slow anymore, sometimes even 1.5 drives me insane. HA, something is wrong with me

      Delete
  7. I don't know why but audiobooks isn't really my thing... to long to listen to them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That I used to think too, but now I have no time for books :/

      Delete
  8. I rarely listen at regular speed but don't go over 1.5.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm still trying with audio. It takes me so much longer to finish a book - I can't multitask while listening & I drift off too much. I keep trying though.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I need to do something I must lower the speed cos else it is like wayyyyy too fast. But when I am walking it is perfect. But yes I do get, it took having a baby for me to love it

      Delete
  10. GREAT post! And I'm laughing because for the two years prior to this, June would come and I'd be "why didn't I do something for audiobook month?" Now, I'm shooting myself for taking this on. I'm spending HOURS doing these posts. Oh well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hours! Ok, then I do not envy your month ;)

      Delete
  11. I'm slowly on the path! I get about 1 or 2 done a month. :) IT helps I have a long commute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. YAY! I love that you've joined the audiobook junkie ranks. A lot of listening requires finding narrators that will get you hooked and finding the right listening speed. I couldn't listen that fast to most narrators. I'm generally at 1.25 with a few 1.5 thrown in.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP