Friday 1 June 2018

Wyntertide - Andrew Caldecott

The town of Rotherweird, made independent from the rest of England by Queen Elizabeth I, has resumed its abnormal normality after a happy ending to the travails of summer.

But is it really all over?

Disturbing omens multiply: a funeral delivers a cryptic warning; an ancient portrait speaks; the Herald disappears - and democracy threatens the covenant between town and countryside. An intricate plot, centuries in the making, is on the move.

Everything is pointing to one objective: the resurrection of Rotherweird's dark Elizabethan past, and to one date: the Winter Equinox.

In Rotherweird, nothing and nobody are quite what they seem.

Hardcover, 496 pages
Expected publication: May 31st 2018 by Jo Fletcher Books
Rotherweird #2
Spec Fiction
For review

My thoughts:
I honestly can not say anything with spoilers from book 1 so be warned.

First, do not read this book without having read book 1. Trust me, it will not work, you will be confused and wonder what the f is going on!? So this truly is  a series that should be read in order. I know most should, but this one really should. If I am going to be frank, even I felt lost at times even though I read it back to back because the web he weaves is so freaking intricate.  See, it has me using a word like that, you know I always take the easy way when it comes to words.

Right...ok, so Rotherweird is a weird place. They govern themselves cos 500 years ago a bunch of kids got sent there, gifted kids, until one of them took over and starting messing with things he should not. Like blending animals and humans, and making some of the "kids" near immortal. 

Which brings is to present day. Some of these beings are still around, hidden, some of the immortals are hiding in plain sight. There is a plan and Wynter is coming. And he he will bring back a reign of terror.

Also, what is wrong with these people! This one person has this crazy idea about countrysiders (the people living around the town), and omg, it was scary to be honest. I think this place would be better erased from the earth.

There are a lot of characters. The main guy from book 1 is not around as much, as things fall into place.

And it is so well written, but you really have to have all your attention on the book because else you will miss something, a clue, a revelation, something crazy going on. Like, ok I will not say too much, but this place is not just weird cos a guy 500 years ago made monsters, no...it has always been weird. Romans, Druids, all have found their way there.

I do think the book got the better of me at times, I feel like a need to read more if I can not keep up!

Conclusion:
A strange tale in an even stranger town, coming to life.

Cover
I wanna paint it!

17 comments:

  1. Oh boy. I like the sound of this one. I like complex reads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well I should firstly look at book 1 if so

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only skimmed this ;) Just in case I read book one

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the sequel to that really weird book? Hmm, I probably won't do well with this series, this place sounds too bizarre for me!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  5. For some reason, you have me jazzed to pick this series up now. I had visions of a bizarre Peter Pan and Neverland setting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to know that this series needs to be read in order. I do like strange stories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great covers - really distinctive!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP