Thursday 4 August 2011

Review: Confessions of an improper bride - Jennifer Haymore

Serena Donovan left London six years ago, her heart broken and her reputation ruined by devilishly handsome Jonathan Dane. Now, with her family's future in peril, she reluctantly agrees to return to England and assume her late twin's identity. The price? Marry a man she doesn't love and spend the rest of her days living a lie.
Jonathan Dane, Earl of Stratford, has become an incorrigible rake, drinking, gambling-and trying to forget Serena Donovan. Yet the moment he's introduced to the prim and proper "Meg", he recognizes the sensual young woman who captured his heart. Haunted by his past mistakes, he refuses to lose Serena again. But convincing her to trust him is no easy task. Claiming his lost love means exposing the truth and destroying the life Serena has sacrificed everything to rebuild. With the future of all the Donovans at stake, and their undying passion capable of triggering yet another scandal, how much will Jonathan and Serena risk for a chance at true love?

My thoughts:
This was certainly a different sort of love story, it was also kind of slow, but do not get me wrong. I do not mean that in a bad way. I am just saying they mostly kept calm and they did not hurry.

Serena was 18 when she fell for Jonathan who was just as young. They loved, and then when the scandal broke he shunned her. She left with a broken heart and who could blame her for that. Now she is back but pretending to be her twin Meg who is dead. She is marrying her sister's fiancé. I can't blame her because her reputation is ruined and she could never make a match on her own. She also wants to help her sisters and her mother. They are poor and not finding worthy men back home. But still yes I do feel sorry for poor Will who wants to marry his Meg. Still I also admire Serena for going through with this to save her sisters even if the way doing so is wrong.

As for Jonathan, he has also served his punishment, but I do understand him too. He was young and his father and  brother managed to get to him. Still he loved her and the things he has done the last 6 years to drown his sorrows. Well his time is served.

As you can see this is not an easy love story. Jonathan is friends with Will and would never want to hurt him, and neither does Serena. And she can't come out as Serena either because the ton still remember too well. But I need these two to be together, they love each other still so much.

There is also a second story in this book. Serena has her younger sister Phoebe with her, and what can I say. They are a scandalous bunch it seems.

It is a book about falling in love again, about doing what you want, and also about forgiveness.

Conclusion:
A good start to this new series and I like these sisters (oh and I also cling to the hope that Meg is still alive, a girl can hope.) There is also passion, and who does not enjoy that.

Rating:
nice

Cover:
Nice too

 Series: Donovan 1
Genre: Historical romance
Pages: 384 (PB)
Published: August 1st 2011
Publisher: Grand Central publishing
Source: Netgalley

34 comments:

  1. It does sound, well, nice! I like that it's the start of a new series. Adding it to the list :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is she in her nightgown on the cover?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story does sound nice. Everyone has got to get some great entertainment from a complicated love relationship right?! :-P Great review. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one sounds quite complex with the sister switch and all, makes me want to read it! I feel bad for Will already though:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @mary
    Do have a look, I am certain you would enjoy it too


    @Chris
    Lol, I do now know. She was not anywhere near water either so maybe that is back home where she liked to go around in her nightgown, who knows ;)


    @Deanna
    The people need their entertainment ;)


    @Jenny
    It was just crazy and yes poor Will. I did feel bad for him from the start :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am reading this right now. Surely Meg is still alive b/c that is just so very sad. I think I would have liked it better if Serena had to masquerade as her sister b/c she couldn't go to london for some other strange reason or something. just me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds good. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I will really appreciate a different kind of love story. Sounds a bit complicated, but then I think I will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice review, sounds like a good series. But for now, I don't need any more new historical authors on my wishlist please ..

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks good. I think I need to add it to my TBR. I love the cover too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. oooh..I need to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, if you can forgive him, then I can. ;) Sounds like a good romantic read.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Agh! It's so hard when someone is going to get hurt no matter what you do. Poor Will. I hope he finds Meg somehow.

    Sounds like Jonathan is the male version of Jane from Persuasion, eh? He should have never listened to his family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ah, it does sounds very nice! I really don't like slow books. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You know me- I'm not usually one for romances but this one sounds intriguing. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Carrie
    I know, I do hope. Like if pirates picked her up (nice ones) and she works in some little town and then she regains her memory. Look at me dreaming way, but Meg has to be alive.

    That makes sense, sure it would have been better, at least to Will


    @Linda
    Thanks!


    @Veens
    It's not that, it might sound it but not when you read it


    @Aurian
    Lol, yes you do get a lot of books ;) And a wish-list is always made to be BIG ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Book cat
    I do like her style :D

    Mandi
    I am SO glad I got it from netgalley, wohooo


    @melissa
    Trust me, you can forgive him. I just can't say more than that


    @Missie
    I do fear Meg is dead, but I hope not! And now I feel sorry for Will again.

    You are spot on, yes he is like Anne. He wanted Serena so much but listened to his elders and suffered for it

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Nina
    Not slow as in slow, just slow in a good way. Things linger on, they do not face their problems at once


    @Darlene
    That's true. But I am glad this one tempted you :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Slow, fluffy, pinky...not my stuff! A sister switch sounds a jolly good prank though!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such the tormented lovers! Sounds like fun. Poor Will, but if Meg is dead he's got to move on. Is she dead for sure? Was there a body?? Doesn't sound like there's a body. I like the pirate idea. They're sexy! Well, the ones that bathe. I'm hoping Meg's alive too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like the sound of the story but I get frustrated by overly complicated relationships between the characters, so I'm not sure about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Haha, I bet the sister is alive...her book will be last or something. Okay, just thinking about the twin perhaps being alive makes me want to read this series. ^.^ Sounds like a jolly good read! Perhaps it'll be my new series...GREAT review!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like a wonderful twist on the love story here. :) Thanks for sharing this one.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm hoping Meg is still alive too. But I feel bad for Eliza and the kid..

    Very complex story. The lives are so tangled and complicated. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the cover! Sounds like a good read, too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. A scandalous bunch of sisters? Sounds like something I'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  27. There's a littl bit of Jane Austen's Persuasion going on in the storyline, I think. Not a bad thing, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. @ANa
    Lol, yes it was rather fluffy and pink. Too many aching hearts...and other things ;)


    @ALyssa
    Nope no body, at least I do not think so. She drowned at sea. And she must be alive! But yes I still hope Will moves on because I do not want them together any more.

    *sits down to wait, hoping Meg is alive*


    @Simcha
    Do not be. It's easy, trust me. It might sound so right now but it's nothing really.


    @Carole
    I hope so! *fingers crossed*
    Thanks and I do hope you read it. Let's see,...perhaps the third book? Lol, ok now I have everyone hoping Meg is alive

    ReplyDelete
  29. @Melissa
    A good twist to a story is always fun :D


    @Ing
    Yes, just because of that and what Will did I do not want Meg and Will together. I mean it had only been a week. I can not forgive that.


    @Yvonne
    It was :)

    @Patti
    Oh yes, you should see what her sister does ;)


    @steph
    Hihi, yes, even if I did not see that before it was pointed out here. I feel like such a fool


    @Cherry
    Nah, not really

    ReplyDelete
  30. As much as I enjoy Historical romance, I don't read it often. This sounds like a good start to a series. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks Naida :)
    I do like some HR here and there

    ReplyDelete
  32. I've never heard of this author or series but it could be good!!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP