Wednesday 24 August 2011

Review: Blood Bound - Rachel Vincent

Series: Unbound #1
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Pages: 400
Publisher: Mira
Date published: August 23rd 2011
Source: I got an ARC from the author, yay

By blood, by word, by magic…
Most can't touch the power. But Liv Warren is special— a paranormal tracker who follows the scent of blood. Liv makes her own rules, and the most important one is trust no one. But when her friend's daughter goes missing, Liv has no choice but to find the girl. Thanks to a childhood oath, Liv can't rest until the child is home safe. But that means trusting Cam Caballero, the former lover forbidden to her.

Bound by oath and lost in desire for a man she cannot have, Liv is racing to save the child from a dark criminal underworld where secrets, lies, trauma and danger lurk around every corner…every touch…every kiss. And more blood will be spilled before it's over…

My thoughts:
This is the start to a new series from Rachel Vincent and after having her Shifter series I knew I wanted this book, and what more can I say then I am sure glad I got it.

The paranormal elements in this series are that some skilled individuals have the power to find someone by a name, by blood, some have binding powers and make contracts you can't break, and some can move from shadow to shadow. There are also more and everyone knows about them, but no countries have done anything about this and pretend they are not there. Then there are those who profit from these skills others have and that bring us to the novel. There are two crime bosses in the city and you do not want to cross them. They hold on to their empires and skills are a trade to them.

Liv has the skill of tracking and these days she tries to stay on one side of the town since she works now and again for one of the crime bosses, Cavazo. She is strong, kickass (we all know I love that), and she has this love for freedom because in this world it's not easy being free. I did like her at once.

Cam is her exlover who shows up asking her to take a case. I can't go into details why they broke up but just say he wants her back and she is running. One thing he did I did not like, but again there were reasons back then. But damn this man loves her and wants her back. He would go to the end of the world for her and that is enough for me to melt into that little puddle. What else can I say then I promise you some romance and passion on the side.

It's not easy trying to move through this mafia world but they try their best. And I do love the world she created, it might just be this tiny obsession I used to have for mafia related things. There is action, danger and a whole lot of questions. Which is also a great part because there is always something there, just over that hill and I am reading like crazy to find the answers to everything that is happening. You just can't put it down, you will want more, you need to know more.

And that brings us to Cavazo, the awesome baddie. He is so evil, and not in that delicious way where you want to have your way with him. But no in the evil evil way. He will not think twice of putting a bullet in your brain, he rules with an iron fist, he is cruel, he hits women, but I like him. Yes I do have problems it seems. The thing is that even though he is totally bad, there is still this glimmer of something decent buried way way way back inside of him and he does have one redeeming quality, which the other boss Tower does not seem to have. What can I say, I love a good baddie, and fine I pictured him as hot. But would not go anywhere near him. He is crazy after all.

Conclusion:
This was a great start to this series and it made me want the next book. Sadly I have to wait almost a year for that one. It also did not end in a cliffhanger,  ok sort of not ended. There was an end, there was a maybe, but I could live with it. To wrap this up, great book.

Rating:
Recommended

Cover:
I just do not like it at all. Are they in a forest? Why would they be in a  forest? I also think the cover might have been why I first thought it was a YA book when I saw it. And trust me, it is not.




33 comments:

  1. Ooh new series, I love Rachel Vincent's writing, in the middle of her YA series at the moment. Great review, I want this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love it when the first book in a new series can keep my so engaged. The evol badmguy sounds intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited to read this one, I adore Rachel Vincent and the way she writes characters. They always suck me into their stories:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice review! I really need to try out some of Rachel Vincent's books. I haven't read anything by hear but I always see reviews for her stuff around the book blogosphere. :]

    ♥ Sarah @ I'm Loving Books

    ReplyDelete
  5. You reviews always make me smile. Sounds like a good one and I like that even though it's part of a series it actually has an ending of its own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo, I can't wait to get my hands on this series! Everyone seems to have loved it so far. :)

    Agree with you about the cover - have you the UK cover? It's much nicer and less YA.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's such a bummer when you find a series you like and have to wait for the next installment. Oh well, good things come to those who wait, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo another series to start reading! And I haven't even read the Shifters series yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no, not another great review ;) Nina review this one over at our blog and I've been wanting it ever since and now you make me want it even more. I have only so many hours per day LOL I need longer nights for reading I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Teddy
    I have not read that one, but Lis reviewed it here and sure recommend it so it is on my wish-list


    @Leontine
    He is ;) I like that he is evil, but I still do not hate him...too much, lol


    @Carole
    It might not stand on two feet (the ending that is) but it does pretty well on one leg. Ok lol I have no idea if that made sense. I am just saying there is an ending but so much more could happen


    @Jenny
    I am sure you will like this book then :D How could you not


    @Sarah
    I do like her Shifter series, and I have heard great things about her YA books, and of course I would recommend this new one

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Mel
    Nope, I always post the cover I have :/ But yes I did see that the UK one looked better.

    And I am sure you will love it too


    @Dana
    Oh yes that is life :/ But I can wait, I am used to waiting. I am a book lover after all


    @aurian
    You haven't? Then get on it :) Oh and this one ;)


    @mari
    Hihi, yes I remember that. I skimmed a bit since I was about to read it but I sure remember her liking it so yes-......read it *more whispers* read it

    ReplyDelete
  12. He will not think twice of putting a bullet in your brain, he rules with an iron fist, he is cruel, he hits women, but I like him. Yes I do have problems it seems.

    Oh dear, I hope your bf is not reading your blog or your books. You know, he might get ideas. Wrong ideas. *devil*

    I might be willing to try this one. I like interesting baddies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha! I almost thought it was a YA book too, based on the cover. I haven't read anything by Vincent yet, but her characters sound like superheroes. Their abilities seem really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haven't read any of her books yet but someday. Hopefully...

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Ana
    Schhhhh, bf must never know! *shifty eyes* Here are some cookies, just for the goodness of my heart


    @Missie
    Not the best one out there, and just very YA. But the book was great and you should totally read it


    @Elysium
    I hope so too :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, hooray -- glad to hear this new series is a hit!! I feel ya on having to wait a year for a sequel -- possibly the only bad part about getting an ARC! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was thinking YA too! Oh I still need to finish her shifter series and I love it. Looks like this is another story I need. I can deal with a opening to another story, just not a cliffie! So glad there isn't one here!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad I read this review! Excellent, by the way! I've had my eye on it for a bit and almost bought it last night on my Kindle but didn't because I wanted to see what some of my blogger buddies thought of it!

    I think I'll be ordering it now!

    Thanks for such a great review, it was a decision maker for me!

    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love her shifters and can't wait to read this! For some reason, like you I thought it was YA at first too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, darn you darn you darn you!! I want this book. Not that I have all that much time at the moment to read it with these review books piled around here, but I want this book! :) And after this darned WONDERFUL review, I'm just wanting it more. Thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. *thinking* What time does the next plane leave for over seas....

    ReplyDelete
  22. I haven't read any of her books, but this sounds like it will be a good series.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fantastic review! I've never read anything by Rachel Vincent but this series sounds so good. I'm glad that you enjoyed the first book in it since you enjoy so much of her other work. :-) I'm going to have to check this series out and see what I think...or maybe start with her other series. LOL. Thanks so much or being so loyal in visiting my posts even though I've been gone for so long! I really appreciate it. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  24. So the baddie melts you into a puddle, eh? He probably would have the same effect on me; going to the ends of the earth for someone is quite appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm so happy to hear that you thought it was good since I've been wanting to read Blood Bound for so long now. Your review pretty much made me want it even more.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are obsessed with mafia related things :) - I like that :)

    I have been wanting to read this author too/ I just can't remember if I ever got to a book by her.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have this one pre-ordered!

    I am glad that it isn't a cliffy, especially if is a year to till the next one.

    I am with you on the cover :( It isn't the best.

    ReplyDelete
  28. @Audra
    Well I did waited and read it just when it came out so the wait wouldn't too long if I liked it ;)


    @Melissa
    It just looks very YA. Finish it :D So kick-ass and I love the men!
    Yes do not worry, it's an opening, but not a cliffie


    *waves to Chris*


    @Kristi
    Thanks!

    I hope you like it :D I always check around too, well almost all of the time but sometimes my finger click away on books, lol.

    Yay, I am glad


    @Patti
    I had that notion for such a long time, the cover really threw me for a loop.


    @Melissa
    Nooo! You will not steal my books *orders a guardian dragon on-line*

    Lol, I know. So many books around here too, and still there are soooo many books I want, nay need.

    ReplyDelete
  29. @Yvonne
    It is, I do recommend reading her books


    @Deanna
    Of course I am gonna visit. I will visit as long as my tabs stay open :D You see sometimes I accidentally close one and then forget. Ok never mind, lol. I got the time.

    And yes read read read


    @Steph
    Oh no, it was not the baddie, it is Cam who melts by heart, the baddie and I, well I just have a fascination with him


    @Jenny
    I am sure you are gonna like it too :D


    @veens
    Hihi, I am! I even held this speech about a Mafia boss once in class. Obsess much? ;)


    @Felicia
    Yay, I hope you get it soon.
    It is a sort of cliffie, but one you can live with since it ends, but..oj hard to explain.l Just do not fear

    ReplyDelete
  30. Nice review. I always like a good baddie too. That spices things up.

    ReplyDelete
  31. GAHH I soo wanna read this book, like now

    ReplyDelete
  32. Naida
    So right! Gotta love a good baddie

    Tyraa
    You totally should ;)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP