Friday 19 August 2011

Review: The Lady of the Storm - Kathryne Kennedy

Series: The Elven Lords #2
Genre: Alternate history / fantasy romance
Pages: 384
Published: August 1st 2011
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Source: from the publisher

Storm lord's daughter Cecily Sutton's powers over sea and sky have put her life at risk. Giles Beaumont is reluctant to protect her, until he falls under her enchanting spell...
My thoughts: 
This book can be read as a stand alone, since it does take place 9 years after book 1. But still it is a series and the plot to overthrown the elves continue.

What I enjoy most about this series is the worldbuilding. Kennedy has this way of creating such fantastic worlds that you can almost not imagine them in your head. The book takes place in England but it is a changed England as Elves came from their dimension and took over the country. Now Eleven Lords and Ladies rule with an ironfist. Humans are mere playthings to them and those born out of mixed unions are killed if their magic is too powerful. The elves do not want anyone messing with their power. The greatness of the world does not stop here, no all these elves rule over elements and this time it is the Storm Lord's kingdom we see most of. He has changed the area so that it is filled with streams and lakes. He resides in Bath and there is water everywhere.

With that out of the way I can move on to the story. Cecily is his bastard and she is meant to be dead but was saved by the Rebellion. Now it is time for her to take up the cause and help them, by her side she has Giles who has looked over her for years. She is quite headstrong, and she knows that she has power enough to defend herself. She has also always liked Giles a lot, thought not any more. They had a falling out. Still he also likes her a lot but she is a lady, while he is nothing.  Aye star crossed lovers in more than one way. But we all know they will have a HEA, but the way there is long since she feels that he dislikes her and he tries to stop his own thoughts of having her.

What we then have in this book is passion and romance, danger, a bit of action, some monsters, the search for her dad, a secret mission and learning more about the rebellion and the Elven Lords. All in all making it an intriguing story in a beautiful and rich setting. And the Elven Lords are just so evil, I love it.

Conclusion:
A good story with an excellent world to pull more from. She has created such an interesting world that you want to read more about. The pages just fly by while you read.

Rating:
Nice

Cover: 
I like the colours


---------------------------------------------------

I am guest reviewing over at Alternative Read today. Come over and read my review of Right Hand Magic by Nancy Collins
Like most Manhattanites, aspiring artist Tate can't resist a good rental deal-even if it's in the city's strangest neighborhood, Golgotham, where for centuries werewolves, centaurs, and countless other creatures have roamed the streets.

Her new landlord is a sorcerer name Hexe, who is determined to build his reputation without using dark, left-hand magic. As Tate is drawn into Hexe's fascinating world, they both find that the right hand does not always know what the left hand is doing-and avoiding darkness is no easy trick.



 
And here is my flash fiction story for this week.




30 comments:

  1. The Elven Lords are evil? I like the sound of them and this alternate fantasy England! You always have reviews of such interesting books, I love it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Kathryne Kennedy's writing too! I haven't read this one yet but it is on my "want" list. Darn book buying ban LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. The world sounds fantastic. SOunds like a great series, will keep it in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh, I love worlds that are built so well, you can see them in your head. It makes me even dream of them, and that is always fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading from your review, you make this book sound intriguing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny
    They are truly wicked, and not in a sexy way. But in a cruel dictator way. And yes I love alternate England :D

    Felicia
    Oh no, one of those, aye they are no fun, but then they are a must sometimes ;)

    Veens
    The world is sure marvellous :D

    Missie
    I sadly did not dream of this world, I have tried to dream about elves many times but it does not work ;)

    I am glad to hear that Cherry :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am reading this one at the moment, so I am skipping your review for now :)
    You are quite busy with all the guest blogs and such, always a nice surprise to see you around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love good world building too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a busy little bee! I don't know if Kathryne Kennedy would work for me. It is the author of Fire Lord's Lover, right? Well, I read that one and wasn't impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You always make me want to read some awesome sounding series!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Evil Elven Lords sounds good! Putting this on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cover seems more romance than fantasy, although it seems from your review that there is a lot of fantasy going around.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Every time I see this series pop up I think of Orlando Bloom. *sigh* Sounds amazing! I have the first book in my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Darn it, I can't quite recognize that torso...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you enjoyed this one Blodeuedd!

    ReplyDelete
  16. awesome review! this one does move really fast.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The cover is gorgeous! Every time I read one of your fantasy reviews, it makes me want to give one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The evil evils part somehow cracks me up! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like the sound of this book! Evil Elven? (say that 10 times fast...) Oh I may have to get this one.

    For your Friday Fiction... you are evil! Poor Ella. The prince is a cad. :(

    ReplyDelete
  20. I havent read anything Elven related other than LOTR, but I just might have to look into this series.
    I love great worldbuilding as well.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aurian
    I know :) But I do like it and some I wrote long ago and they are posted first now.

    Skip away, I always do when I am reading a book soon


    Vivienne
    It can make a book so much better


    Ana
    Aye, you are correct so I do not think it is for you. Too fluffy


    Amused
    Hihi, I am glad

    ReplyDelete
  22. Elysium
    I know, evil ones are the best


    Steph
    I would say that the world is the fantasy and the rest is the romance part. Since it is always there, above everything else


    Diana
    Oh yes *sighs too* I hear you

    Chris
    Are you loosing your gift!?


    VFG
    :) I am happy too

    ReplyDelete
  23. Carrie
    It just flowed along


    Bucky
    I do hope you give in and try one one day ;)


    DC
    Lol, it does? Fun


    Melissa
    Haha! Yes I knew you would not approve, but think of it. Here she starved and suffered. Now she will live in luxury but yes must put up with his advances


    Naida
    Nothing? At all? I do see elves around a lot in my books..ok sometimes

    ReplyDelete
  24. This sounds like a book that I might enjoy, though I haven't read the first one yet so I guess I'll have to look out for it. I hate jumping into the middle of a series.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ooooooer, I will have to check this series out. I love me some elves and atlernate fantasy Englang. :3 Great review (of course)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Simcha
    I do say read the first one first. Sure one can jump but you lose a bit of the history

    Thanks Carole
    I do love it too, freaky different history and elves

    ReplyDelete
  27. Another great sounding read. And that it can stand alone too. Hmmm, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love England and elves so I'm sure I'd love to read this story...even if the elven lords are bad ;) Thanks for sharing =)
    Tanyaw1224(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I loved the evil elven lords, it was nice for a change. And they fit so well in England

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP