Monday 1 August 2011

Review: Venetia - Georgette Heyer + guestposting

Genre: Historical romance
Pages: 384
Published: 2011 Sourcebooks (1958)

In all her twenty-five years, lovely Venetia Lanyon has never been further than Harrogate. Then she meets her neighbour, Lord Damerel, and before she knows better, she is egging on a libertine whose way of life has scandalized the county for years.
My thoughts:
This is my first ever Heyer book! I had not heard about her before I started book blogging but when I did she was everywhere and I was intrigued by this old icon. If you are reading historical romance then you should read her too, and now I finally have. I liked what I read, a lot. I can't say I noticed that it was originally published in the 50s either.

To the story. Venetia has lived all her life at Harrorgate and has not travelled at all. Her father wanted her at home and therefore she has not known many men either. Though she has two suitors, but they are soon forgotten when she meets the rake next door. Poor Venetia, she had such a  thirst for life but her dad was an idiot when he was alive. Still she is just so sweet that she does not mind because she loves her home and her brother. The thing with Venetia is that she might just be too sweet. I usually do not like heroines this sweet but here it works because, well she is just so nice. She is very forgiving. But she does have a tongue on her too and can put down her suitors when they get too odious. I think that is why it works, because she has a mind of her own and I like her witty style.

The style is very amusing and the banter between Demarel and Venetia is sweet, and it just made me think Jane Austen (and we all know I love her.) These two just hits it off at once, they are playful, they flirt, and it all so very cute. I know he is a rake, but not with her, though he does say a few things now and then, but so does she. For once I can be shocked for silly reasons. In the end I truly love sweet romances where people at most kiss and that is utterly scandalous of course.

It is not all a dance on roses. He is a rake, so no one wants him close to them. She does have two very silly suitors. Something happens that will cause a uproar. But this is a lovestory and she knows what she wants.

Conclusion:
I am happy to have read my first Heyer book and I will read more. I do recommend this one to romance lovers. The style is humorous and I love the old talk.

Rating:
Sweet :)

Cover:
Nice

----------------------------------
I am at two places today :)

I am over at Melissa's blog talking about the best fantasy books I have read the last 2 years. Come visit :) and be sure to enter the contests she has during her blogaversary (My world in words and pages)


I am also over at Stella's Ex Libris Blog. She is away and I took over her blog to spread some Jane Austen love. Come on over and discover the 10 best Jane Austen sequels, prequels and all the rest.





32 comments:

  1. I started reading Georgette Heyer since I was a teenager. Glad you enjoyed your first book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to try her work. This sounds great.

    I think I want to start with one of her mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read her mystery books, though I haven't bought one yet. I really need to get on that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray, a new Heyer fan! So glad you enjoyed it. Am checking out your guest spots now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love really sweet romances too, they just make me happy:) I've never read anything by this author so I'll have to check her out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a big fan of Georgette Heyers. I havent read this one yet. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I so want to read her novels, I've heard so much about them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard her regency books are good so I should try those. But this sounded good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh you are everywhere today! Whee!

    This sounds just like a sweet book that I enjoy from time to time. Oh but I need to check out the other 2 b/c I'm in a mood for fantasy and JA! Oh, wouldn't that be an interesting book? lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've been talking about her books for years on the Almacks list at yahoo groups.
    Venetia is one of my favorites. Try Frederica, too, also one of my faves. My introduction to historical romance was through Heyer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also never heard of her before I started book blogging. I really did try to read one of the mysteries and I really loved the dialogue and everything, but not the story, much. Then again, I have to try more books.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've not read any Georgette Heyer either but I have noticed that I've not read many historical books recently at all...might have to adjust that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never read one of Heyer's books though I've definitely heard of her. I really should give her a try. By the way, I just read a contemporary romance book that I think you would enjoy and I wanted to mention it to you because I doubt I'll be reviewing it. It's called Yours to Keep by Shannon Stacey. I think you'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now THAT is a believable historical cover! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Would you be surprised with the fact that even I have read a Georgette Heyer novel or two back in the day? I like the settings of the novel, the time period, and the more genteel romance.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just started reading Heyer and I really love her style and words. Seems she has the magic touch for Regency rakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. First published in the 1950s? Wow! I have not read her work, but I'd love to give it a try. Sounds like a good story.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't really read Historical books, but this one does sound like a fun time with the banter and all. :) Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am about to read my first heyer books too!! This one sounds like it was great!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Georgette Heyer's books are wonderful to read. I don't find them dated at all.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad to see you enjoyed your first Heyer! I have The Reluctant Widow but haven't read it yet, and she's an author I really want to try!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yea!!! I am so glad you tried Heyer and liked her. I am going to try and read all of her books over time of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Nise
    I wish I had heard of her but then the only books I ever heard of were the ones at the library :/


    @Juju
    It is all so sweet and I honestly love love sweet :) I am so traditional when it comes to historical romance


    @Ryan
    Those I actually think I have seen at the library. Not the main one but one I once visited, so at least those are around


    @Audra
    I know :D I am very glad too. I would have felt so disappointed if I had not fallen for her

    @Jenny
    They make me happy too. This was the kind of book that first made me like romance, sweet and innocent. Even if the leading man is a rake ;)


    @Naida
    I am truly happy to have finally read one and more will follow soon. Got two more still to read


    @Irena
    I sure know the feeling, I have been so curious about her for such a long time

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Elysium
    You should try them cos I did try Lord John, her his fic, and the feeling was not the same and I put that one aside. The only Heyer the library had


    @Melissa
    Lol, I know, I am very popular ;)


    In my heart I love sweet HR the most. It should be sweet and no sudden love scenes. Oh what a HR prude I am ;)
    JA and fantasy....*deep in thought about writing one* Excellent idea


    @Lynne
    They had this list about books at the back of this one, but not all were there so I must go and google cos they all sounded so fun. Will def check Fredrica first.

    My first was Barbara Cartland, lol, I know they can't be compared ;)


    @Veens
    I do think her books are all different, genre wise that is. I tried her historical fiction and did not like it, but liked her romance. So dunno if I would like her mystery books


    @Mel
    True, I can't remember seeing you reading one lately, while I have seem to have read a lot lately. Sometimes they all just comes at once. You really should read more :D


    @Simcha
    Hm.....is that the book I think it is..I do think so. I have seen it around and peeps seem to enjoy it. I will take your word for it and put it on my list :D

    Now where is that goodreads tab so I can get cracking


    @Chris
    No heaving bosoms, manly chests and strange dressed anywhere. I applaud

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Steph
    *gasps* Lol..well ok I am actually surprised since I have not seen much of that fact on your blog. But then everything who reads my blog would think that is all I ever read ;)

    That is sure why I read it, the romance that was just awww


    @Aisle
    I noticed that she fancy rakes, but then I grew up reading about rakes and sweet heroines who they fell for so I love it. And I do love her elegant phrase of words


    @Diana
    You should try it, it's all very cute. And the 50s can't been seen at all..then again dunno how they wrote then but at least 70s romance sure stands out


    @Melissa
    She was not afraid, that's for sure. What a sweet gal. I do like a good banter


    @Carrie
    YAY :D I can't wait to see what you think


    @Marybelle
    They have sure withstood time and not aged like certain other books.


    @Anna
    I am so happy. I always saw her around and I always said to myself I should read one


    @Jenny
    I know someone who has tried that, blogger that is :) You really should :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. I haven't read any Georgette Heyer (yet). Maybe that will change soon as I'm certain I will pick up one of her books one day.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think the book as affected your speech as well... "utterly scandalous"? eh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Finally a Georgette Heyer! I grew up with those books, and still love and read them occasionally. I think my favourite is The Grand Sophie. Please try that one next. I think I have almost all of her books, so if you want to borrow a suitcase full, come over for a weekend or so :).

    ReplyDelete
  29. YAY, I'm so glad you read Heyer finally! I enjoy Venetia, too, but there are so many other books out there for you to try by her :-) SO glad you enjoyed her!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I don't read a lot of romance, but do want to give Heyer's work a try because I've heard so much about it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love Heyer too and like you didn't know anything about her until I started blogging about books. I have this one so I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. @Jenny
    I do hope you try a book by her one day :)

    @Cherry
    Lol, yes I confess that I would love to talk like that


    @Aurian
    It took me a while but I got there too. Lol, I might just take you up on that.

    next up is the Quiet Gentleman and Bath Jungle. I also got Cotillion as en ebook. And then, then a new world opens


    @Aarti
    I am happy too! And yes, oh my how many books out there. So much to choose from and I just love that

    @Berumuda
    Do give them a try and I am sure you would enjoy them too


    @Staci
    Yay, I hope you like it and i can't wait and see if you do

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP