Saturday 19 September 2009

Review: Goddess of the Hunt - Tessa Dare


Goddess of the Hunt by Tessa Dare

Genre: Historical romance
Pages: 384
Published: 2009

Ever the bold adventuress, Lucy Waltham has decided to go hunting for a husband. But first she needs some target practice. So she turns to her brother’s best friend, Jeremy Trescott, the Earl of Kendall, planning to hone her seductive wiles on him before setting her sights on another man. But her practice kisses spark a smoldering passion—one that could send all her plans up in smoke.

Jeremy has an influential title, a vast fortune, and a painful past, full of long-buried secrets. He keeps a safe distance from his own emotions. But to distract Lucy from her reckless scheming, he must give his passions free rein. Their sensual battle of wills is as maddening as it is delicious, but the longer he succeeds in managing the headstrong temptress, the closer Jeremy comes to losing control. When scandal breaks, can he bring himself to abandon Lucy to her ruin? Or will he risk his heart, and claim her for his own?


This was a good book for a long bustrip, I sat there and smiled and must have looked like a fool sometimes.

Lucy wants to get married and she has her sights on a certain person but how to get there when she is such a tomboy who hasn't even had her first season? So she gets this silly idea that she should practice her seduction skills on her brother's friend Jeremy. What a crazy idea, and I was so glad to see that Jeremy was a gentleman who tried to resist.

Lucy was bold, and I liked her. Act like her I would not have, but I sure liked her spirit. She was sweet, even if a bit naive in a way. You just had to love her when she got that idea into her head. Jeremy is cold, and those two had never really liked each other. Not to mention she has her sights elsewhere. But things start to happen and I fall for them both and keep wishing they can look through their silly games.

I sometimes have a problem with historical romance, the oh so virginal unkissed heriones tend to give it up to quickly and always love it at once. How sweet and how nonvirginal all must have been. Even if I like a book that always annoys me, and I was so glad that that did in a way not happen here. I did not want things to bug me.

So this book had me soon smiling and grinning like a fool. There are some passages that just made me wanna giggle. Then the book took another turn and changed and I liked the new turn of events too. Made me root for them more, made me dislike Jeremy more and made me love him more. They do not have an easy way to go but that is what romance need, a rocky way to make them realise that they do belong together.

There was romance, there were smiles, friendship, foolish games and a whole lot of fun. This was a sweet read and I enjoyed her style a lot.

There is also a side character that I do not want to like at first, since Lucy does not want to like her either, but I do fall for her, she has such an imagination. And I am glad to see that she is the main character in the 2nd book, and the 3rd book also has a charcter from this book in it. I would sure like to see how it all plays out.



18 comments:

  1. Oohh, good review! I have this book and the next one, I'll have to bump them up on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tessa is one of my favorite debut authors this year. I have read all three of her books and she is one to watch for those who enjoy reading historical romances.

    I found Jeremy a bit too brooding at times. Good to have Lucy around to make him lighten up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review - you've got me wanting to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen a few reviews of this book and it sounds great...

    Not sure if i'll have the time to read it, but you do so make it tempting...

    And there are two more in the series...

    E.H>

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does sound like a great book for a long bus trip B!

    Glad you enjoyed, it sounds very good. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

    I hope you are having a great weekend.

    L

    ReplyDelete
  6. It certainly sounds like you had an absolute blast reading this book. I may have to read it myself!! Loved your fun review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just finished this one and loved it! So romantic. I loved Lucy - she was so cute. And Jeremy...hot damn.

    Can't wait to get the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear a range of voices going from lovely to great storytelling from Ms. Dare and I have the first one on the shelves of this trilogy. I always have a knack to want my historicals to have soemthing different, yet when the mood strikes me I can go for a more classic aproach of the genre...do I make any sense at all?? :))

    I think after your review Tessa Dare's Goddess Of The Hunt has moved another few places up the TBR pile. I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Patti,
    I sure became curious about the next one when I looked who was in it. I am sure the rest will be as good then too

    KB,
    Yes he was a bit brooding at times, there were times I disliked him but then I warmed up to him again cos I knew he loved her even if he was such a fool.
    Great debut, I am so happy to have read her

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary,
    Lol, that was blogging is for :) Making others buy too when we do, lol, nah I am kidding. Fun and sweet book, I love those that make me smile.

    EH,
    Will not tell you more, but yes, but I only had eyes for cold Jeremy.
    Oh I know, I sure wish I could read all the books I hear about.

    Lea,
    Almost 6 hours in a bus so had time to finish this, and more. Great way to get some reading done.
    Thanks good weekend, visited the bookstore and oh so many books I knew, I could have bought them all. but perhaps next time i am down there.

    Thanks Staci,
    It was very fun to read it, so sweet and cute.

    mandi,
    Mmm oh yes Jeremy was a keeper, and Lucy what a sweetie. I really want more now

    ReplyDelete
  11. Leontine,
    I think I know what you mean, and i can be like that sometimes too. In a way this followed the pattern but then came a surprising part that I hadn't seen coming. So liked that about this one.

    And she is good so she deserves to be moved up a spot :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds good. You really got me with this one. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review! And I can relate with looking like a fool in the train reading a fun/good book :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Susi,
    It was such a nice read :)

    Nina,
    Thanks, hehe yes that do tend to happen when booklovers read good books :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read this book, was really cute. Tessa's writing is really flawless. She could write a restaurant menu and it would come out beautiful! lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lori,
    Lol, yes I would like to read that menu then, I am sure that would make a sweet meal

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've heard a lot about this author and really want to read her books. Great review because I know how hard it is not to give anything away. You have piqued my interest even more :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jenny,
    Oh yes, I always try that, not give anything away that i have not seen in the blurb :)
    And she was fun

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP