Sunday 13 September 2009

Review: Relentless - Lauren Dane


Relentless by Lauren Dane

Genre: Futuristic  romance
Pages: 352
Published: 2009

In this universe, passion knows no rank…

Since the first settlers came through the portals from Earth, fifteen Families have held the rule of the Federated Universes in their hands. There’s never been a better time than now to throw out the old and usher in a new order. Give voice to the unranked. Abbie Haws has spent her life battling the system. A fighter, she’s always been too busy and driven to pay much attention to finding love. But when she’s granted audience with Roman Lyons, the head of House Lyons, who stands for everything she hates, her instant attraction catches Abbie off-guard…

It’s common knowledge that the Known Universe revolves around Ravena—and that Ravena revolves around Roman Lyons, bred to lead since birth. Roman dreads his meeting with a defiant—if stunning—rabble-rouser. But, sometimes, headstrong personalities in the conference room make for hot-and-heavy, guilty trysts in private….

Now, Abbie will show Roman the parts of her world he wouldn’t otherwise get to see. And he’ll give her a glimpse of the Families’ age old tradition and unleash a sexuality he’d never given rein to before.


Lauren Dane is an excellent writer, I liked how her words just flowed and the story moved on so easily. It's a story set in a far away future where the space have been settled. It takes place in the city of Ravena, where a barrister named Abby is fighting for what she believes in. Then she meet Roman Lyons, the most powerful man in her 'verse. There is passion at once, passion that can not be.

I was not a fan of the feudal society they lived in, the families ruled everything and the people had no say in anything. Not to mention Roman was ranked, Abby was not, and because of that they could not be together. He was someone she was not, they did seem to live in the dark ages, and here I thought the future would know better. It seems not, rank still rule.

I liked the story, I have always been a sucker for future worlds. This society is then ruled by a lot of powerful families. They have the power, they have the say, and no one can question their will. They say it's democracy, but it is not. They also have the attitude that they are better and ranked are not allowed to marry unranked. But there are voices that wants to be heard, and they want change. A book sure needs a bit of that too, civil unrest, even if it doesn't amount to that here.

There was one thing that sadly killed my mood, I was not a fan of the sex, all the dirty talk, well I could not feel the love between them, just the sex, which is a shame. It was just too much for me, and yes I guess I am a romantic. I need to some love. Sure I was hoping they would end up together, but that was mostly because I knew it, I didn't feel it.

Still Abby was a good strong character who had gone through horrible thing, but she did not late them hold her down, and Roman, oh it was the power that did it for me. He was just so raw and powerful.

But it's a great story, with exceptions then for me, it flows, the story holds my attention and it's a great world she had created. She is a wonderful writer and the book is read with ease. Too bad the sex didn't work for me, because else I would have liked it even more.




17 comments:

  1. B,

    Lauren Dane was my first foray into the world of erotica and I had no idea what I was in for. :)

    I found out quick that erotica is not my cuppa - though a lot of people enjoy it and that is okay with me. :)

    I think it is because in erotica the sex is the conflict and I have a hard time wrapping my head around that.

    Have a great day.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this book and I know I will read it eventually...

    I am also a fan of futuristic society, even ones with ranks and hierarchy and chains of command...

    It's good to see nothing as change from the present - human as still fighting humans...

    Pity about the rough language - I love erotic stories, but I really draw the line at the language...

    All in all you seem to have enjoyed the book - which is always good at the end of the day..

    E.H>

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a good read! I might have to try it. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you....the sex would've been nice if there had been romance and love included. Sounds like a good read overall though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Call me old fashioned, but I need the romance angle too. Thanks for an honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle,
    I am still unsure, too much is not my cup of tea, I need some romance, and so often I just can't feel the romance cos there is just so much sex. It might not be a world for me either, I have only ever tried it this year so I know more and more now.
    Good on those that like it, but perhaps not for me :)

    Staci,
    It was so good, she had such an easy tone but I needed more romance. There was one scene where I felt it, but mostly it was just sex and nothing more

    EH;
    I sure liked to read about those, I think I at heart truly enjoy politics.
    I did enjoyed it, it was a great book, but just too much dirty talk since that was the point. They both got off on that.

    Krista,
    You're welcome, it was a good story, even if I didn't liked all the elements

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alyssa,
    That I do understand, I didn't know what a big romantic I was before this. I just need it too fell

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd like to give this author a try, thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Patti,
    She have a wonderful way of writing, I will tell you that :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the review. I agree about wanting some love with the sex in books. I think I prefer "romantica" over straight up erotica.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fiction,
    I do have a book that says romantic but I am so out of it with all labels and such. But good to know that there is a difference.
    Though I sure hope they can write as good as L.Dane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the review Blodeuedd! I haven't read Lauren Dane before but I do have LAID BARE in my TBR based upon all the great things that is said about her. While I'm not a big fan of futuristics, if I like LB, I might be tempted to pick up the rest of Dane's backlist.

    Dirty talk during sex isn't always a favorite of mine either. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I'll be sure to be prepared when I pick up Dane.

    Thanks for the recommendation!

    ;) VFG

    ReplyDelete
  13. VFG,
    Ah Laid Bare, I have heard about that one, it was futuristic too? If so then it might be good cos she works well with that.

    The dirty talk just didn't work for me, I actually think after this it never will for me. But the rest of her book was just great

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review!
    Just started this book and totally agree with you so far.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Susi,
    I did like the flow of her words, she is a great writer. Even if I didn't like everything this book still stands out this year

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have her other book, Undercover, and that was pretty good. You may enjoy that one better. It ends well too.
    Sorry this one wasn't for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jenny,
    I mean I really enjoyed it,except for those things. And they are not the whole nook :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP