Sunday 27 September 2009

Reviews: 2 in 1 Sookie again + DNF read

Definitely Dead by Charlaine Harris
Book 6

Spiked with a frothy fusion of romance, mystery, and fantasy, this bestselling series sends the supernaturally gifted cocktail waitress Sookie Stackhouse to New Orleans, where she has to deal with the legacy of one of her own family and a host of potentially dangerous characters. (GoodReads)




All Together Dead
Louisiana cocktail waitress Sookie Stackhouse has her hands full dealing with every sort of undead and paranormal creature imaginable. And after being betrayed by her longtime vampire love, Sookie must not only deal with a new man in her life-the shapeshifter Quinn-but also contend with the long-planned vampire summit.

The summit is a tense situation. The vampire queen of Louisiana is in a precarious position, her power base weakened by hurricane damage to New Orleans. And there are some vamps who would like to finish what nature started. Soon, Sookie must decide what side she'll stand with. And her choice may mean the difference between survival and all-out catastrophe.


So more Sookie books. In the first one she goes down to New Orleans because a family member died (when did that happen btw, did I miss it?) She meets the Queen and there is trouble as always.

In the next book she travels with the queen to a summit, but someone is out to get them all, and who can she trust?
Here she has Quinn and I do like him, he has potential. I also like her new buddy Amelia. About all the shifters, well I guess they will be outed too soon. And what is up with all the things showing up in every book? Soon the Easter bunny will show up.

Even if I like the mystery part I do get annoy at one thing, she always figures everything out even if there are not many clues. I guess she is the smartest chick around. There were also some historical facts that bothered me in this one.

But mindless fun, easy reads, even if she get beaten up always. And Eric is still yummy. I have started to wonder how many more books there will be, you get to a certain point with all books where they can be no more. I still want more but I do wonder.

As always not much to say about these books.


Then the DNF read:
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

 It was a great book, the language flowed and to have the dog narrate was masterful. But it was a sad book, and I was not even halfway when I could take no more, I had been sad, then angry and then I got too upset. It was not the right time to read this book, I am not good with these thins so perhaps in the future. Cos to the point I read it was a good book, worth reading.

Recommended.

Enzo knows he is different from other dogs: a philosopher with a nearly human soul (and an obsession with opposable thumbs), he has educated himself by watching television extensively, and by listening very closely to the words of his master, Denny Swift, an up-and-coming race car driver. Through Denny, Enzo has gained tremendous insight into the human condition, and he sees that life, like racing, isn't simply about going fast. Using the techniques needed on the race track, one can successfully navigate all of life's ordeals.

On the eve of his death, Enzo takes stock of his life, recalling all that he and his family have been through: the sacrifices Denny has made to succeed professionally; the unexpected loss of Eve, Denny's wife; the three-year battle over their daughter, Zoë, whose maternal grandparents pulled every string to gain custody. In the end, despite what he sees as his own limitations, Enzo comes through heroically to preserve the Swift family, holding in his heart the dream that Denny will become a racing champion with Zoë at his side.

A heart-wrenching but deeply funny and ultimately uplifting story of family, love, loyalty, and hope, The Art of Racing in the Rain is a beautifully crafted and captivating look at the wonders and absurdities of human life...as only a dog could tell it. (GoodReads)



13 comments:

  1. The story of the cousin and her death is in a short story that was feature in an anthology awhile back.

    Personally, I see that as a cheat and I was disappointed in the following book. It seemed incomplete and pretty much served as an 'in-between' book, as in, I have too much story to tell for one book so I'll break it up into two - neither of which is all that great.

    cjh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did find Quinn to be interesting but for some reason I had a hard time trying to picture him. I think it's because I've never found big, bald men very attractive. ;)

    To bad about your DNF, sometimes being that sad isn't what you need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cj,
    Thank you so much, I was thinking I had totally missed a death for some reason and I was so lost.
    I do think you're great, they were ok but could have been better and it was just a bit strange.

    Donna,
    I have the same problem ;) I don't fall for bald guys so I guess I don't picture his head at all.

    It was a shame, but I could not deal with the sadness right now

    ReplyDelete
  4. I REALLY need to read these Sookie Stackhouse books! My goodness, everyone loves them. I'm glad to read your review of THe Art of Racing in the Rain, too- that book has gotten a lot of press recently.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aarti,
    The Rain was good, but sadly too sad for me at this point. But he had a great voice.
    Oh yes there is Sookie madness, you could always give one or two a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know that there was a sharp breath intake when I saw The Art of Racing in the Rain as your DNF, lol!
    But I can see how this book could get too sad and too upsetting to read on, especially if you're not a fan of sad depressing books at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lilly,
    I had to put it up there, cos mostly I just forget about books that I didn't finish, but this one was so good so had to at least let people knwo :)
    But yes too sad for me, or well too upsetting

    ReplyDelete
  8. I accidentally read the 7th book (and bought it) without reading/buying the 5th and the 6th. It was a common mistake due to the look of the cover, but then again. I do like Amelia as well, she's not very bad as a character goes, and it would be interesting if Harris went further with her immersion in the Witches' world. But the book itself... TBH I was disappointed. When compared to the earlier ones it seemed to lack the wit and the strength of character. Also this whole deal with the betrayal and the way Sookie and Bill are now dealing with each other is pissing me off.

    (savepureness)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Savepureness!
    You made it :D
    You know what, dunno how people write reviews on her books, I sure can't ;)

    I would like more about Amelia, that could be cool. But yes as for the books, they seem to be getting worse. And I am sure she will drag them out forever! Characters do seem to loose their appeal then.

    I do hope you get a blog up and running soon. It's fun, and there are so many nice people out here

    ReplyDelete
  10. uh-oh! I have Racing in the Rain also. It's really that sad, huh? I'll prob still try to read it. i'll let you know what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jenny,
    It was sad, but it was mostly the thing that upset me that made me stop. I could take no more. But read it, it's good, and you will do better than I did

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have problems with animal books, especially sad ones. I've been wanting to read this one, though. We'll see.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anna,
    I can understand that, the sadness it there at once. But Enzo was such a great little dog

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP