Sunday 20 September 2009

Review: Mr Darcy, Vampyre - Amanda Grange


Mr Darcy, Vampyre by Amanda Grange

Genre: Historical paranormal romance
Pages: 320
Published: 2009

A legendary and immortal love story for a legendary and immortal couple - a test of love that will take them to hell and back. The wedding day is magical but when Elizabeth and Darcy embark on their wedding tour, Elizabeth discovers that Darcy has a secret . . .

Prologue December 1802

My dearest Jane,

My hand is trembling as I write this letter. My nerves are in tatters and I am so altered that I believe you would not recognise me. The past two months have been a nightmarish whirl of strange and disturbing circumstances, and the future . . .

Jane, I am afraid. If anything happens to me, remember that I love you and that my spirit will always be with you, though we may never see each other again. The world is a cold and frightening place where nothing is as it seems. It was all so different a few short months ago. When I awoke on my wedding morning, I thought myself the happiest woman alive . . .

(Author's site)


Let's face it, I will never looked at pride and prejudice the same way again. Imagine how glad I was when my friend looked at this and wanted it and I needed top buy her a present. Long story short, read it before her that night cos could not really take it up north with me. Now I just have to read the zombie one and Austen will be forever weird to me, lol.

The title sadly says it all, yes Mr Darcy is a vampire. But it's good to know it, and it could have been written differently. First I can giggle at things because I know things Lizzy does not know, and that makes this book funny. If we would not have know the funny part would not have been it. But still not knowing would have been fun too.

To the book then, it takes up a bit before the book ends. Lizzy is waking up, the wedding takes place and soon they are off to the lake district, or wait, no Darcy decides that they should head over to France. Soon she has a strange feeling about Darcy, he is distant and she is afraid he regrets marrying her. It will be an eventful wedding trip.

The reader gets bits and pieces here and there and even if the title had not been that it would have been easy to guess after a while. I like the clues because they made me giggle, and at the same time I feel sorry of Lizzy because she thinks he does not love he, and the reader does not learn why he acting so strange (well easy to guess but still why?).

Not much romance since he is distancing him from her, but it's still there, and I am aching for them. Lizzy and Darcy belong together but how can they be together? The book had me reading fast to find that out and to see if i could get some vampire action.

This was a sweet and easy read, the paranormal made me smile cos I knew, but it gets a bit different later on, I tiny bit more thrilling we can say. But the end left me wanting, great end yes, but it felt rushed and not right. But that could just be me.

It's a clever way to tell the story what happened next. Because many sure wanted to know, and who knows, perhaps he really was a vampire, lol, I do feel like watching the miniseries again and taking a closer look at him. I will always imagine him hiding his vampire self now.

A fun sequel to read, I tell you that. I have not read a real sequel yet, but I know that I sure will look back at this vampire one and smile.



21 comments:

  1. Hmm, I might read this eventually, I've read tons of sequels of P&P and P&P fanfiction, but I'm scared that reading something like this and "Zombies" might just ruin it all for me. Though I can see how making the (what seems to be) taciturn and sullen Darcy a vampire makes sense and explains a lot about his behavior! Thanks for bringing this to my attention, good review and you piqued my curiosity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be reading P&P&Zombies soon, and I don't have any high expectations for it. I just hope it's fun.

    I agree that Mr. Darcy Vampyre was fun and sometimes funny. You know the part where Darcy is a bat and trying to fly into the room, but Elizabeth closes the window. I was hoping he would smack into the window and slide down. That would have been hilarious! LOL

    Great review, as always!

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kinda like this cover for Mr. Darcy, Vampyre vs the US cover. It has a more gothic look to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies not too long ago and it was rather entertaining..LOL! I've looked into getting this one but haven't yet. I know I should eventually , though! Looks like a fun book, that's for sure. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie,
    I do understand that, this and the zombie one is sure different. I have 1 sequel and will get another one, must read those too to see.
    But yes Darcy works so good as a vamp, he has his way and being a vamp sure explains it. I enjoyed this a lot and loved the funny bits.

    Anna,
    I have no expectations, but I know it will at least be funny I hope, a good laugh.
    Haha yes that was a good one, I was so hoping he would do that too. She did good.

    Donna,
    This was the cover we had here, and I do like ti too, very vampire and Gothic like.

    Krista,
    It was fun, and so weird, but since you have read zombies I do not need to tell you that

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is an award for you at my blog!

    http://missysbooknook.blogspot.com/2009/09/new-award-yay.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm.. I started reading it but didn't find myself hooked. So I put it aside and now that I've gotten more books, it'll be a while until I read it.
    Me likes romance and bloody vampires =[

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read any P & P sequels, paranormal or normal :-) but I think I'd like to try one. Your review made me smile so maybe I'd find the book a fun read!

    PS I've given you the Superior Scribbler Award, you can pick it up at The Eclectic Reader

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your review was so much fun to read and now I want to read this one even more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Missy :D
    I will head over at once.

    Hilda,
    I liked it for the giggles, and that it wasn't all bloody and vampires, that would have been wrong to Austen :)

    Teddyree,
    Aww thanks :D You're too nice.
    Oh this one was a hoot, some passages, oh my, they went well with Austen, nothing freaky.

    Staci,
    I hope you get the chance, it was very enjoyable

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed it as well... it wasn't gory or too out there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Areligh,
    I think that is why i liked it too, it fitted her prose :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the UK cover too. Interesting how they changed it so much for a different market. Thanks for the gret review. This book had so much potential. I wished that it had a stronger vampire feel and a more satisfying ending. Amanda Grange is a great writer. I love her Austen hero diaries books.

    ReplyDelete
  14. laurel Ann,
    It is better and more fitting, and freaky lol.
    I liked it for it's silly parts, I didn't mind the not so much vamps, it fitted, but i do wonder how it would have been with more...hm.
    I really must read those

    ReplyDelete
  15. Def. a unique take on p&p! Sounds rather interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lori,
    It sure was, and very different :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey B!

    I'm glad you enjoyed this, very surprized actually, because I didn't think you would.

    A very unique twist on the classic novel that's for sure.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts...

    L

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi lea,
    Aha, you didn't think I would enjoy it, interesting :)
    I just like the cuteness, non bloody vampire part of it. A funny novel and sure a different take to a classic. Gotta love that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've been pondering on reading this one, looks good but...anyway I'll be getting it (sooner or later). Great review! :D

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Leya,
    It's one of those should I or not, hehe and I bought it for a friend, who did want it so it worked out good for me

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ahh, I remember this book. I read this a while back. I had to have it, so I bought it. I liked it, but I'll never look at Mr. Darcy the same way. For some reason him being a vampire makes a lot of things make sense (personality-wise). hahaha. I love it.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP