Saturday 5 September 2009

Review: Grimspace - Ann Aguirre


Grimspace
Sirantha Jax Book 1

Genre: Sci.fi romance
Published:2008
Pages: 320

By all accounts, Sirantha Jax should have burned out years ago…
As the carrier of a rare gene, Jax has the ability to jump ships through grimspace—a talent which cuts into her life expectancy, but makes her a highly prized navigator for the Corp. But then the ship she’s navigating crash-lands, and she’s accused of killing everyone on board. It’s hard for Jax to defend herself: she has no memory of the crash.

Now imprisoned and the subject of a ruthless interrogation, Jax is on the verge of madness. Then a mysterious man breaks into her cell, offering her freedom—for a price. March needs Jax to help his small band of rogue fighters break the Corp monopoly on interstellar travel—and establish a new breed of jumper.

Jax is only good at one thing—grimspace—and it will eventually kill her. So she may as well have some fun in the meantime…

(Author's site)


Even if I liked the beginning I had a hard time getting into the book, and then suddenly when i had read 1/3 of it I was in. What changed? Perhaps it was that I didn't like Sirantha in the beginning.

Sirantha jax is one tough chick, all mouth and no one gets in her way. She can be rather closed off, and even I thought she was kick-ass, I didn't like her. Then comes March, and frees her from her prison where she had been tortured. He was like her and those two were at each other like cat and dog. Then something changed and I started liking the both of them. The book got more meaning. There is a struggle because her wounds are fresh from the crash where she lost her pilot and lover, but you just know that those two are meant to be. And I long to find out.

I have always liked sci-fi so that was sure not a problem for me, though I have actually read way too few. perhaps because sci-fi is so male, ships and weapons. Therefore I have gone for the more philosophical and epic in the past. This, well this is a treat, romance, I love it and I get the space angle too. Not all romance has to take place at earth, or my fav, in the past.

There is her getting to know the crew of his, I like the doc by the way, and then learning what they want her to do. I do like a bit of political involved too, since the more I read the more I don't like the Corp. They may have lost they goal some time ago. There is colonies, seems to be a Swedish one, lol, and bounty hunters. Now what would a sci-fi book be without a alien bounty hunter.

Oh and yes there is romance, don't fear, and I am sure they will be more in the next books. Where she gets to free the the universe, read the other blurbs that there will be more aliens, bad aliens, I hope so.

It was a nice little read, some sci-fi, some romance. An escape read that always feels different from the paranormal ones, I guess it's cos I always think space could happen, but vampires and werewolves, I only wish.

Hard book to review, cos as always I don't wanna give away everything, I'll let the blurb talk.




25 comments:

  1. To be honest with you, I don't really like female characters that are all tough, kick-ass chicks all the time. It somehow comes off superficial to me, so I can understand how you didn't like the beginning of the book all that much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked Jax because she was tough and sarcastic and yet emotionally insecure with her feelings - she lost her love in the crash.

    I loved March...he is a bad ass but then he gets inside her head and is so sweet and gentle.

    Wanderlust is good too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi B!

    Excellent review, I really liked how you said maybe you couldn't get into the book, and suddenly you were a third of the way through the book, lol. Happens to me sometimes too.

    This one is on my ever increasing wish list. It has been for a while, but now, I really want it!

    Thanks for a great teaser!

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey look! You reviewed it! It was fun to read your thoughts here. I tend to not like tough chicks either, so I was thinking to myself, how is it I liked Sirantha? I think - especially in the first third - it was because she was in such peril, so it sort of counterbalanced things. And I agree, the more you know her, the more dimensionality she has, like as the book goes on.

    Ooh, the 3rd one comes out later this month!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lilly,
    Some times I can take them, other times not. But this one had a vulnerable heart underneath, so yes I grew to like her. A good thing-

    Mandi,
    I do like sarcasm, and that is what I came to like too. She was tough but had a heart. And I felt for her as she thought about her lover.

    I know :) March, mmm, just what the book needed.

    Hi Dottie,
    Lol, yes sometimes those things just happen without you even realizing it. Strange, but good.
    It was on my list since a year back to you can imagine how happy I was when I finally had it.
    Hope you can get it, or, well I do think it can be a book I can give away sometime ;) since it was rather light. Who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi :)
    Oh yes I sure planned to start it for some time but other reviews and life always came up. So first thing I did when I got free time this week..start it.

    I have sure seen that the third one comes out, cool. Especially since I just finished this one (well there is still the 2nd one too first).

    Could be, she was in peril, and that did counterbalance things. And then you got to know more and more. The more I knew the more I liker her. Dunno if Aguirre meant for that, but if so then good job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just loved that first line. You get the impression she is living on borrowed time straight away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cover of the book is okay and it doesn't sound very fun to read!
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vivienne,
    She is, you learn early on that they die really fast. But she has survived so far. It does set the tone.

    Nina,
    No, it was fun and nice. I kept thinking it would make such a cool movie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm...sounds interesting but I read a sci-fi book a while back with a strong female lead and it just wasn't my cup of tea.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought your review was fantastic but this book is not for me. I have a hard time with sci-fi.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am almost done with this book - so I am not going to read the whole review...

    But I am liking what I have read so far...

    E.H>

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Sweetie,

    Thank you for my award last week! xoxo drop by I've got one for you!

    Great blog! I think what readers of Sci-Fi have to know is, a writers has to world build...this takes up space before the story can begin. Where as historical and contemporary writers have it easy...their worlds are already set in the mind of the readers...so, yes, it takes longer to get into the story...so keep readering the futuristic, Sci-fi stories and give the writers a chance...they will surprise you with a wonderful story ...as Ann Aguirre did with this one.

    Hugs
    Hawk

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anna,
    I do understand, that is what books are for, something for everyone :) I can't help wondering what that book you read was.

    Staci,
    I think my love comes from watching Star Wars when younger. Ever since that I have loved it.

    EH
    Yes don't go and spoil yourself now. Can't wait for your review.

    Hawk,
    You're welcome hun.
    That is what I love about fantasy and sci-fi, the world building, history and all that. So of course I will go for things like that. I am a fantasy girl at heart so as long as I find good sci-fi(hard by the way they have nothing here) I will be happy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome, then I'll keep writing because that's what I write - futuristic, sci-fi - fantasy!

    One day...I hope you'll find me on the shelf!

    xoxo
    Hawk

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good review! I enjoyed Blue Diablo so much because of Ann's writing style, so I need to read this book soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I definitely have to start this one. It's in my tbr and haven't had a chance to start it. I definitely should now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey, You read it!
    So glad! I love the Jax series!
    If you get a chance to continue reading please do! 2nd book is Wanderlust, 3rd comes out this month, called Double Blind.

    Also, Blue Diablo is very good...is kickass in a different way. I think you'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hawk.
    I sire hope I will :) Because that is sure what I like to read

    Donna,
    I enjoyed Blue Diablo too, it was my first taste of her books and I liked the way she wrote. Though this one has a different feel to it.

    Susi,
    I sure know about those, it was sitting on my shelf for 6 months even though I was dying to read it. But i think I read it at the right time.

    ddo3,
    Hi :D
    Yes I sure did. I have not got book 2 yet, but hey perhaps one day.
    Read Blue Diablo and I really enjoyed, actually more than this one. Dunno why

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'll tell you :) It was Marsface by R.M. Pala.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Anna :)
    I just had a look at it over at Amazon.
    But it doesn't sound like the book for me either.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I hadn't heard of this author or series before - sounds intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Darla,
    She has some good books out there :) I like her Corine Salomon series

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, no, not another series! :-) Would you recommend that I start with the first book of that series, or this one? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Darla,
    Oh yes you really should start with the first one so you understand why the crashed happened and what leads up to book 2 :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP