Thursday 17 September 2009

Review: Wild Heart - Lori Brighton


Wild Heart by Lori Brighton

Publication date: November 3nd 2009
Genre: Historical paranormal romance
Pages: 320

Wanton. . .

Leo Roberts is next in line for an earldom and the power and fortune that come with it, but he is uncultured, unrefined--and completely untamed, until governess Ella Finch arrives upon the scene. Can so young and inexperienced a woman tutor him in the manners and mores of his class? Leo's mysterious past has rendered him an outsider, too wild for polite society. But he finds her innocence most intriguing.

Willing

What manner of man he may be, Ella does not know. Yet he fascinates her and she must know more. Capturing Leo's reckless heart is about to free her in ways she never dreamed of, and his sensual touch releases the deepest yearnings of her body and soul.

......

This was a nice read. I connected at once with the heroine of the book. Ella is a sweet woman with a good heart. There was something innocent about her, and at the same time something mysterious and a great willpower. Leo, well I wasn’t sure what to think of him, was he an animal, crazy or what? It gets explained because things are not always what they seem. Lori Brighton makes you fall bit by bit for him, until you just can’t resist him. Just like Ella, and they have great chemistry; I can see it at once. I ache for them, I want them to be together, I want them to trust each other enough to tell the other one all their secrets.

The side characters are good also, his sweet old grandfather, Ella’s friend Fran, who is the explanation why Ella takes on this position. Lady Buckley, she seems mean, Leo’s friend Akshay, and then the villain of this book, Leo’s cousin Henry. Him readers will dislike at once, and I wanted to find out what his motives was and why he was such an idiot. I can’t tell you the times I wanted to be there with Ella and calm Leo down, or well hug him. Not thathe cared all times, but I sure did.

It was a paranormal historical but the paranormal part was not that big in it. I will not spoil it but Ella has a gift, and she uses it sometimes though out the book. In the end the paranormal part gets a bit bigger as all things are explained. You have to wait for it, and it will make you curious, what is going on in this book? The ending also leaves you wanting more. She wraps it up nicely, but she leaves a thread hanging so that there can be more. I am happy with this ending, but yes I am curious, will there be more? The answer is yes, one character from this book is getting a book of his own.

Lori Brighton weaves together a beautiful historical about two people who find each other at the worst possible time, but at the same time the best time. They both have secrets and they both need something. You smile with them, and you sit by and wonder if it will turn out good. These two are a couple that need to be together. The hint of the paranormal is cleverly shown trough out the book in a way that makes you believe that sure, that is possible. She makes you believe, and you never feel that it’s a paranormal historical. It’s a historical book; the magic in it just exists. And I do believe.

This book has a bit of everything, a mystery, magic, romance and the hunt for the truth that will put lives in danger. When it does heat up it heats up and I am sitting on my seat wondering what will happen next. It always looks the darkest before the end.

This is a great debut and I can’t wait to see what she comes up with next. A good author leaves you with a want for more, if so be with the same characters or with a new concept.

As a side note, I read this book back in July and wrote the review but I post it now when the date is getting closer for its release.

received a copy for a review


12 comments:

  1. I really need to widen my horizons and read more historical romance plus some paranormal elements. I may just start with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute story! And I love the cover. Its very eye catching. I think it's her beautiful lavender dress.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts Blodeuedd!

    ;) VFG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Blodeuedd, I was already wondering with that kind of cover what kind of paranormal element there should be. All in all it sounds like a wonderful debut book and will go check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice review, Blodeuedd. This book was on my radar because it sounded intriguing.

    The author had contacted me in June or July. I responded back and never heard anything more. *shrugs* Eh, what are you gonna do?

    I'm glad, however, that you enjoyed the story ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fun one. I love a touch of paranormal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lilly,
    I do like historical romance cos unlike historical books they always have a HEA :)

    VFG
    Oh I love the cover, very pretty, and that dress, sighs, we can't we all wear dresses like that.

    Leontine,
    It sure has the historical look, but yes there is some paranormal in there. I shall not tell you more, but it feels real (so no vamps).

    Barbara,
    I almost didn't recognize you with your new avatar, nice :)
    I did, it was a sweet story and i sure wondered about that hero. I could not figure him out.

    Carol,
    It sure a nice mix :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi B!

    This sounds like a great story and awesome review!

    The historical / paranormal blend sounds very unique.

    Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lea,
    It was a nice mix, and it blended perfectly. Not anything weird, well ok, but I believed :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to try out a historical I think. Sounds real nice. Thanks for the review and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review, I really want to read this book now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi B!

    Okay, I really can't buy any more books!! But, this one looks too good to pass up!

    I guess I'll be looking for it too!!

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Paranormal historical romance sounds like a fun read!!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP