Tuesday 8 September 2009

Review: The Devil to Pay by Michele Hauf


The Devil to Pay by Michele Hauf

Published: 2009
Genre: Paranormal romance
Pages: 288

Torn between Duty and Desire...


After the devil Himself claims Ivan Drake's soul on his twenty-first birthday, the vampire phoenix has no choice but to enforce his wicked rule. But when the devil sends him to claim the Book of All Spells, the last thing Ivan expects is to square off with its gorgeous protector, the witch Dez Merevech - or to be so attracted to her.

To retrieve the book might end the escalating war between the witches and the vampires, but to take it from Dez will ensure her death. With the fate of the paranormal world hanging in the balance, Ivan must choose wisely - and quickly..


My first try at Harlequin's nocturne silhouette books, and it had the Harlequin elements that I know, and sure some other things too. I sure never read a Harlequin book like this when I started reading them.

The story is about Ivan, a vampire phoenix and half witch, his parents story is in book 1, and this is the third by her. This one can be read without knowing what has happened before, it's a stand alone novel. Ivan's parents promised his soul to the devil and on his 21st birthday the Devil came to claim it, and since that he has worked for the dark one. His newest task is to steal a book from a witch, an easy match he thinks but that is not the case and he finds himself falling for her. In the mean time the war between vampires and witches are escalating.

I found it funny sometimes because Ivan is such a young guy really and Dez is ancient and her wanting to be part of the old granny club, very nice. There are sparks at the moment those two meet and not only happy sparks. But it's harlequin in the end so we know what that means. But it's a good ride until the end. The Devil is creepy, there is a story told later on that I really enjoyed and even perhaps liked a bit more than this one cos it was dark, and got me thinking. But they are a good couple and the both need some happiness, if they dare to get it.

There is not much about the whole vampire and witch war. Only mentions when the Grey Council meet, and I guess if there is to be more books than more will be told there. Perhaps one day they all can live peacefully next to each other.

It was a short easy read, romance, action, and the devil Himself on several occasions. Some magic and some bloodsucking, he is a vampire after all. A pretty decent paranormal romance book, but it never had me at the edge of my seat.

Kiss Me Deadly is the first book and this book is one of the books that you can download for free at Harlequin's site because of the celebration of turning 60. I do have that book but I did not think of reading it first, but I can always go back if I want to.



13 comments:

  1. B,

    A vampire phoenix and half witch - now that is a combination. :)

    Great review. :)

    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm..did they go into why his parents sold his soul or was that in a previous book? Sounds interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle,
    Yes he is sure a combo, and a powerful such ;)

    Patti,
    In the previous book you learn why it was done, and you get some details in this one too. He has nice parents so they did not do it lightly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. I had no idea Harlequin did paranormal romances. Then again, I haven't read one since the days of sneaking them from my grandmother's pile as a kid. LOL

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's an award for you at my blog!

    http://missysbooknook.blogspot.com/2009/09/who-loves-you-baby-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna,
    They sure do now, and it's a great idea since I do want a vampire now and then. Haha I was the same, got all my books from my much older cousin and my grandmother

    Missy,
    Aww thanks :D Will come over at once

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh nice job Blodeuedd! Interesting read... will have to look into... Vampire...witch!! HUM!!!
    I hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of a vampire phoenix, that's something new and curious. Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds interesting. I'm not sure if I'll get to this book but you had a wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi B!

    Sounds like a keeper to me, vamps and witches, does it better much? Sounds like my kind of book, I've added it to my list (I downloaded Kiss Me Deadly)

    Thanks for sharing, as always, wonderful review!!

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Cecile,
    Take it easy girl and relax.
    He was a yummy mix, interesting read.

    Donna,
    It was sure soemthing new, the whole phoenix part had to do with...well not gonna tell you but nothing about a real phoenix

    Krista,
    Thanks, not a book to suit all, nice little read that took no time though. But I understand :)

    Hi Dottie,
    Read that first and see what you think, since there are sure a vampire and a witch there, doing things that will bring Ivan to life lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey B!

    Great Review!

    I have this book along with another of Ms. Hauf's in the stacks. I'll have to break it open soon. :)

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts, the vamp phoenix / half witch does sound interesting!

    I hope you have (Are having) a great day!

    L

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lea,
    It was sure a different combo, but it worked.
    So you have some of her books, nice, I hope you like them when you get to them
    Have a lovely day :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP