Wednesday 29 September 2010

Early Review: Take a chance on me - Jill Mansell

Genre: Contemporary romance/fiction/chick-lit
Pages: 432
Publ date: October 1st 2010 Sourcebooks Landmark

Living in a small town like Channings Hill, there are some people you just can't avoid, no matter how much you really, really want to. When Cleo's job throws her into constant contact with her childhood nemesis, Johnny LaVenture, she can't leave the past behind. But for someone she'd rather have nothing to do with, Johnny is impossible to ignore... Then shocking discoveries of past scandals, unrequited loves, old grudges, and not-so-ex-wives throw Cleo's family and friends into chaos. Life in sleepy Channings Hill may be about to get very complicated, but it's definitely never been more exciting.


This was my 2nd Jill Mansell book, and now it did make me read more. There was drama, romance, and nothing was rushed. I liked that.

The story is about Cleo who works as a chauffeur. All is well, and she has a great boyfriend, until the day Johnny LaVenture comes back. And she hates him, and with reason since he gave her this nickname that ruined her schoolyears, among other things. But he is so hot and hard to resist. Then there is the story about Cleo's sister Abby who is older and in a happy marriage, but they never got any kids and this saddens her. And soon things start to happen in this  sleepy English village.

There is much drama, I can't go into details, but secrets are revealed, foundations are shaken, and perfect boyfriends are not so perfect after all. Abby and Cleo are the main characters, but we also get to follow Cleo's friend Ash, who is really shy around women he likes, but on the air, he is mr perfect. So there is a lot of things happening, and a lot of relationships that comes together or needs to be fixed.

Like I mentioned, I enjoyed that there was no rush. No one fell madly in love and married the next day. No things took their time, it felt very real. Some were stubborn, and some just hoped for things to come. A truthful tale about romance, and everyday life.

This book did makes me want to go to this English village and drink some tea. This is a great book to read this fall, perhaps while drinking some tea ;)

Blodeuedd's Cover Corner: I have mixed feelings, I don't like it, but at the same time it's cute and fits the book.
Reason for reading: From sourcebooks
Final thoughts: It was sweet, and I could not put it down. I just wanted to know.

3,75



25 comments:

  1. I can enjoy a slow burn romance and I LOVE English tea time. Especially with a cart full of yummy goodness. I've done it a few times now, in England, Ireland and the Netherlands and it's such a good time to share with friends or family :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - this book made me want to travel to England too!

    I liked the book and went into it thinking I'd never like Johnny and by the end I sure did :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't read a lot of chick lit, but I do love Mansell's books because her characters are so fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant review! This sounds like a fun, entertaining story...and I like a slow-burning romance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review!! Sounds like this one was really sweet! I've never read anything by her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Jill Mansell - she's one of my favorite Brit Chick Lit authors! I think I have this one on my shelf. I find all of her characters to be entertaining so I'll be looking forward to comparing notes with you when I get around to reading this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful review. This sounds like my kind of book. Will add to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't tried this author but I may one day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read anything by Mansell yet, but everyone seems to really like her stories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one looks cute..I think Tori is going to read it for Smexy. Nice review:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do appreciate a book that moves more at the pace of real life!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Leontine
    Mmm yummy goodness, I really must make real scones so I can know what they taste like. So fun that you have had the real deal.

    Patti
    We should all travel to England and drink tea! ;)
    Johnny was a hard person to like for me too, and at one time I just went noooo.

    Bermuda
    That they are. They feel so real, and she is really good at creating them

    ReplyDelete
  13. Melissa
    When I read so many fast romances, then it sure is nice sitting back with a book like this one

    Carrie
    I have only read one book, and that one was a bit, confusing actually. But this one was so much better :)

    Amused
    I am happy to have finally discovered her for real. It was fun. Great characters and romance, and I'd sure enjoy comparing notes when you have read it

    ReplyDelete
  14. DC
    I am sure you would enjoy it :)=

    Ladytink
    It's good to save some for that rainy day

    Carol
    They just have something heartwarming and real over them

    Mandi
    Nice, looking forward to that :D

    Chris
    After all the world winning romances, I totally need slow

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like a nice romance!
    I always enjoy reading a good book with a cup of tea :)
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sounds like a fun read (and now I have the ABBA song "Take a Chance" stuck in my head). :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahh... sounds like a lovely read on a lazy Sunday afternoon with my tea :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I skimmed your review dearie because I'm starting this one tonight. I will make sure that I have some tea while I'm reading!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always wanted to give this author a shot but never really have a chance yet. Her books sound like a very fun read and I sure love their light tones!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I read a book by Jill Mansel once and I don't remember being impressed. This book sounds like a fun though and I love stories about old enemies falling in love. I also like books where relationships are developed realistically and the characters don't fall in love with each other after a couple of conversations. I think I'd enjoy this book.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Naida
    I do like it too, and even better if it's chilly outside.

    Alyce
    I am happy it didn't get stuck in my head, cos then I go around singing it all day long.

    Cherry
    My point exactly :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Staci
    You do that, and I can't wait to see what you think.

    Shy
    They are sure perfect when you want just that, and at the same time this one was serious too

    Simcha
    I read one too once, and was not impressed. So I am sure glad I liked this one.
    And yes love takes time, sure I love the love fantasy books where people fall in love at once. But I do want reality too

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad you enjoyed this one. I love Jill Mansell and can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I will meet you for tea. I am reading this now and totally loving it. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anna
    I hope you enjoy it! But if you like Mansell I am sure you will

    Jenny
    Yay, tea time, lol, it did make me wanna live in a cute and quiet village

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP