Tuesday 14 September 2010

Review: Blameless - Gail Carriger

The Parasol Protectorate book 3

Genre: Steampunk romance
Published: September 2010
Pages: 355

Quitting her husband's house and moving back in with her horrible family, Lady Maccon becomes the scandal of the London season.

Queen Victoria dismisses her from the Shadow Council, and the only person who can explain anything, Lord Akeldama, unexpectedly leaves town. To top it all off, Alexia is attacked by homicidal mechanical ladybugs, indicating, as only ladybugs can, the fact that all of London's vampires are now very much interested in seeing Alexia quite thoroughly dead.

While Lord Maccon elects to get progressively more inebriated and Professor Lyall desperately tries to hold the Woolsey werewolf pack together, Alexia flees England for Italy in search of the mysterious Templars. Only they know enough about the preternatural to explain her increasingly inconvenient condition, but they may be worse than the vampires -- and they're armed with pesto.


I have been waiting for this book since that evil cliffhanger in book 2, the one that had me craving this book. It may not have been an evil cliffhanger in this book, but I still want book 4. But the wait, oh so long.

Spoilers from previous books will follow.

Alexia has moved in with her horrible family after Conall threw her out, that wicked beast, but then he is dead, and she is pregnant. To get to bottom of this she heads to Italy and to try to get some answers from The Templars, who hunts all paranormal things, and thinks she is an abomination. She is also hunted by vampires who wants her dead.

Alexia is as fun as ever, she barely escapes an attempt on her life, and what does she do, well duh, she goes to drink tea to calm her nerves. In this book she spends most of her time of Madam Lefroux, who flirts with her, and loyal servant Floote who has some hidden talents. Sadly not much of the book is between Lord Maccon and Alexia for obvious reasons, though it is fun to see him drunk and upset. And to my uttermost sorrow, almost no Lord Akeldama! He is missed for sure.

The Templars, those Italians, tsk. Not the nicest of people.

It is a fun book as always, and I have a sneaking suspicion that Miss Carriger is sitting there giggling while writing. How could she not. She is so witty.

There is adventure, there is teadrinking, and manners. A lady cannot forget her manners even if attacked. I do love this series, and it was a good book that kept me reading, but I did miss Akeldama. And Conall and Alexia meeting again was in my head as it should be, because those two are not normal.

Favorite quote:
"He wore no cravat, to Floote's obvious dismay. Alexia was, perhaps less shocked by the missing cravat than she should have been."

Blodeuedd's Cover Corner : Love
Reason for reading: Won a pick your book at Janna's Blog, yay. She made my day
Final thoughts; If you haven't started this series then do.

"A Novel of vampires, werewolves and afternoon tea"


39 comments:

  1. Great review! I have this series on my shelf, and I can't for the life of me figure out why I haven't started it yet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to start reading this series! I just skimmed through your review to avoid any spoilers, but I wanted to share my enthusiasm.;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted more groveling from Conall. That was my biggest disappointment.

    But I adore Alexia. She cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO so pleased this one was good for you..

    I still have not read them - but you really make me want to go see what the giggling is all about....

    E.H>

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review. I haven't read the series but I always stop and look when I come across the covers - and they are all over the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad I could make your day! :) Fab review!
    You made me smile with:
    "and I have a sneaking suspicion that Miss Carriger is sitting there giggling while writing. How could she not."
    I have the first book of this series in dead tree format waiting for me... :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. *sigh* Steampunk just isn't appealing to me...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have lost interest in steam punk after painfully working my way through Boneshaker. I don't think this genre is really for me. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melissa
    Start it now! ;) It is so funny, weird and amusing. Loving it.

    Irena
    Good choice, no spoilers for you. But yes do read it, I highly recommend this series.

    Katiebabs
    I remmeber that, so I was a bit concerned, but I ended up liking it cos no grovelling, instead they just argue and have it done with

    EH
    Hihi, I just love this series, it's adorable, and so very proper.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blodeuedd - not sure my first post went through - I got an error code. What I said was:

    Ahhhh! I'm a book behind! I need to find book 2 and read it quick - I really enjoyed book 1 and book 3 looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary
    They are very loved for sure, and the covers are great. I do like those

    Janna
    You go and open that dead tree book at once ;)
    You sure did, and I knew at once what I wanted.

    Chris
    Nooo, don't say that, come one, mechanical ladybugs, templars who embroider, you don't wanna miss that

    Vivienne
    Too bad :( But you know I doubt this one is anything like that. This is Austen vs mechanical ladybugs vs dry humour

    ReplyDelete
  12. Patti
    Error codes, buuuuu, I kept getting one on your blog one day too. They suck.
    Anyway, yes hurry up and read that one, then you will read the cliffhanger!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been on the fence about this one - I was told how Conall doesn't grovel or really even admit his wrong-doing to Alexia in Blameless.

    What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Smokin
    My opinion: I would have made him grovel, but Alexia is something else, and she is not really the kind of woman who wants him grovelling. Instead she verbally abused him and they made up. It felt like something those two would do. And he did try in his own way, liking having the paper print an apology, what more to expect from a werewolf, so I was happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Like you, I appreciate the tongue-in-cheek humor in these books. I thought Soulless and Changeless were magnificent. But I really missed the romance in Blameless...I wish Alexia and Lord Maccon had been reunited before the last couple of pages of the book. Hopefully next time there will be some more Alexia-Conall werewolf-y loving!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oooh, i really want to read all of these! thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good to hear it's good. The second book was awesome and I cannot wait to read this one. But, yes there is a but, almost no Lord Akeldama?! OH MY. I adore that guy. ;) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I still have the first on my tbr and haven't started it yet! Can you believe that???

    Oh, I really need to get to it quicker! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do want to read the series - thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haven't read this series yet but it looks so good - At least once I start I won't have to wait for the others. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Penelope
    I agree with you there, I missed those two. They are so wonderful together, I sure hope they will have some more "screen" time in the next book..oh and more Alexia with Akeldama

    Carrie
    I do recommend this fun series :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nina
    Akeldama is sadly occupied elsewhere, but his story is very interesting, and much happens, even if he is not there. But I am sure there will be plenty of him in the next book, considering

    Melissa
    oh what are you thinking, go through that pile and put it on top right away ;)

    Ana
    I hope you do, it's great fun, I promise

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great review!!!! Can't wait to start reading this series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Alyssa,
    That is one way to do it, cos oh the cliffhanger in book 2, would have loved to read all 3 at once

    Gregory
    Start it! It's so fun and strange too :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love Gail she is so intelligent and witty

    ReplyDelete
  26. I so need to start this series!! Sometimes I just think I can't read fast enough but that buy button is just so easily cliked :))

    ReplyDelete
  27. Inked,
    Lol I know, she so is :D

    Leontine,
    Start now, there may not be a lot of smexing but the funny makes up for that, doesn't that sound good

    ReplyDelete
  28. Haven't read any of Gail Carriger's books yet, and in the steampunk genre I've only read Leviathan. I just skimmed your review but obviously you've really enjoyed the series.

    ReplyDelete
  29. ohman, I've got to read the second book! The first one was amazing!
    And this one sounds like it will be, too!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Teddyree
    So it shows ;) Lol, yes I do enjoy her books, they are a breath of fresh air.

    Brizmus
    read, read, read! Trust me, book 2, cliffhanger, all I am saying

    ReplyDelete
  31. Tell me Alexia and Conall are back together and happy int he end, or I won't even bother reading any further in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I've been seeing this one all over the place and know that I just need to read it because it looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Carol
    have no fear!! They get back together :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Amused
    Awesome is the word, trust me, awesome, lol

    ReplyDelete
  35. I haven't tried Steampunk yet, because I'm not sure it's for me, but I'm really drawn to this series and its covers.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Bermudaonion
    If you haven't tried it then I think this could be a good start, light and fun :D

    ReplyDelete
  37. I adore this series. I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to review this one since I read Blameless within seconds of finishing Changless. I don't think I even took notes this time!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Naida
    *nods* yes you do

    Ladytink
    Just get it all out there at once :) You'll figure something out. ANd I sure wish I could have done it like that too

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP