Friday 17 September 2010

Review: The Vampire Diaries 1,2,3 - LJ Smith

The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries #1)

Genre: YA paranormal romance
Pages: 272
Published: 1991

Elena Gilbert is a pretty, popular teen who was orphaned when her parents were killed in an accident. Despite the tragedy, her life has always been normal and wholesome. Until the beginning of the school year, when two new vampire brothers show up to shake the peaceful universe at Robert E. Lee High.



Ok the vampire diaries. First yes I get why they have this cover, but when she has dark hair and Elena has blonde, it's just weird.

Elana fancies a boy, the boy Stefan is a vampire, she wants him, he is scared for her sake, they get together.

That was the short version. First, 17 year old girl, 500 year old vampire, eww.

Ok to the story. I didn't like Elena. She was the most beautiful girl at school, she was the most popular, everyone loved her. The one boy doesn't acknowledge her and she burst into tears and her world I destroyed. And I am supposed to like her? She is a spoiled brat, but oh no, there is something that is there so she will not be too perfect, she is an orphan.

The book was, meh.


The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries, #2)

In book two of the Vampire Diaries Elena Gilbert quickly realizes that the only thing more dangerous that being in love with a vampire is being desired by two. As Stefan struggles to suppress his instinctive thirst, Damon persists in his quest for Elena′s heart. A dark turn of events forces Elena to risk her mortality to save one of her immortal suitors.

Pages: 304
Published: 1991


Now it gets a bit better. Damon has kidnapped Stefan and Elena is furious, and soon she is in a love triangle.

Stefan and Elena are happy, and even though he spent book 1 saying she was just like Katherine, then now they look nothing alike suddenly.

There is drama, bloodlust, and killings. Oh who cares about that, Damon is here and he sounds hot. I wish it was all about him ;) All those silly little "oh I only eat animals vamps" are so boring, just give me a real bloodsucker.

Damon helped this one for sure. At least I read it really fast.


The Fury, book 3

Stefan
Tormented after losing Elena, he's determined to end the feud with his brother, Damon--whatever the cost.

Damon
Mocking Stefan and Elena, he laughs in the face of doom.

Elena
Wild with her craving for blood, she confronts the ultimate evil.

The terrifying story of two vampire brothers and the beautiful girl torn between them.


Pages: 256
Published: 1991


Something evil is in town. People think Stefan is a murderer, and Elena is a vampire. So everyone thinks she is dead, and are really sad. Since they all loved her, despite being with "murderer".

Ok her friends are really understanding and trusty. Come on, Stefan brutally attacked people, what is this? Why is everyone so forgiving? I don't get it.

Elena finally got a backbone, but lost it. Stefan is a bore as usual, and Damon, yes he is wicked isn't he.

Best part about this book, the end! Wow that was nice. Oh and Damon, still my favourite..have I mentioned that ;)

Yes I will read more, just to see if she is a fool to pick Stefan. Cos I am not watching that tv-show, too YA drama for me to watch, reading worked a little better.

Reason for reading: Library books
Final thoughts: People will like them even if I didn't


34 comments:

  1. hahaha I love your sweet, succinct reviews!

    I quite like the series, but I disliked Elena in the books...a lot. The show is awesome though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just say that I laughed my butt off at these great reviews!! A student loaned me book one...wonder if I should still try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa
    Oh you made me have to look that up :) But yes sometimes it is good to make them short, and straight to the point, and lol, especially since I wrote them all at once

    Staci
    Good ;) I think I need to get a bit like this sometimes, they are just so fin to write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read the books but watch the shows. I don't like Eleni in them either. Stefan comes off as boring and I LOVE Damon. He's the reason I watch. Sounds like I'd probably feel the same way about the books! Thanks for the reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't read all of your review as I have the two first books unread in my shelf. I think that Elena in the tv-series might be very different from the original Elana in the books. I've seen several people complaining about her :)

    Great review(even if I didn't read it all the part I read was good ;)).

    I have to admit that I do like the Stefan in the tv-series, I wonder what I'll feel about the Stefan in the books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alyssa
    Lol, yes I mean, she is not very likeable, she had no flaws. And Stefan *falls asleep* But then Damon showed, up, and if I would watch the show..well Damon i so much hotter there too.

    Ladybug
    Can't say much about the show. But here she is perfect, nice, and wants everything she points at.
    Aha so you like Stefan, well, I can see it, but I have always had a weak spot of the bad ones hihi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your gripes about her cracked me up! Too funny! I could see my self having the same issues with Elena.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had no idea The Vampire Diaries were nearly 20 years old!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have tried three times in the past to read this series, I am currently almost done with the first book. I absolutely HATE "Elena" in the books, but I ADORE Elena on the show.
    This is a case (for me) where the show BLOWS THE BOOKS OUT OF THE WATER!
    The show is great and not very "teenish" to me at all with all the sex, violence and evil afoot.
    I just can't get enough of the show. I am FORCING myself to read the books so I can compare the two and so far the books are lacking terribly compared to the awesomeness of the show.

    :o)

    MsM

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL how fun. And the books sound great, too! :-) Love your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still haven't watched the show because I want to read the books but I haven't gotten around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great reviews, very much to the point. I have to say that the books are really not that good, to me, but the TV series - something else. They take elements from the books, but they make them so much better, so I do suggest you watch the show, too. Perhaps it starts a little low, but the second half of the 1st season already has you totally hooked, or at least I'm speaking for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have to confess that I watch the serie but I think I leave the books alone. Best part of the show was when David Anders came along :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Juju
    Lol, yes I didn't really like her :)

    Chris
    They are sure old, and now people surely think they ride on the Twilight hype

    Naida
    Oh he is, he is ;)

    Thanks Marie!
    Saved some place and just put them all there at once

    ReplyDelete
  15. MsM
    Happy to hear I am not alone cos she is so arghhhh, I do not like her! So happy in book 3 *evil smile* Even though it wont last.

    So the series is that much better, huh, oh I do not know. But if it is not teenish, cos I hate that, all that YA drama makes me roll my eyes.

    Perhaps perhaps

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ladytink
    So a newbie to both them, well I hope you have the time to read those books one day

    Irina
    Aha, thanks, so I guess most are for the show here. I really should give it another go, cos the books sure didn't make me want to watch it

    Elysium,
    Oooo Sark, always did like him in Alias ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm proud of you for sticking with the series because I don't think I would. Elena sounds like just the kind of character I don't like.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've liked her (=Elena) better in the tv series. I read the first book and some of the second one, but then it ended up sitting in my shelf for a few years and I never picked it up again. I donated the book to my friend... (it was an omnibus, books 1+2 together in one book).

    ReplyDelete
  19. I may have to read the books too. However I suspect I'll enjoy your reviews more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bermuda
    I guess it had that potential that made me stick to it, even if I didn't really like it..oh and I am really curious.

    Maija
    I guess she really isn't that well liked in the books, and they did a bit better in the series. Cos yeah wanna like those I read about

    Melissa
    Lol, thanks ;)
    Just try for yourself, can't say more than that

    ReplyDelete
  21. As Chris already said, I had no idea these books were so old.
    Like you I don't watch the tv show and after reading your reviews I don't feel like reading the books either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Janna
    Yes, perhaps not the best books to read. I'd recommend other books much more ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi B!

    Love your reviews!! LOLOL I went on B&N today, and I can get all four books (the 4th you didn't review) for $17.98 us dollars, but checking Walmart first, think I saw them cheaper there!

    You've encouraged my need, you're enabling me, lol, hubs looks pissed... oh well, too bad!!!

    ((hugs))

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dottie
    Lol, blame it all on me. Tell him that evil Finnish woman made me do it ;)
    SO you plan to get that omnibus, cool, they didn't have book 4 here yet since they have just bought them, all thanks to that Twi hype.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would just buy the books to look at Damon... Yes BIG TEAM DAMON!

    ReplyDelete
  26. lol! stefan is a bore as usual! i haven't gotten into these books or the tv shows.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Aisle
    Lol, yes that is sure one reason for buying the, :=D

    Carrie
    Can't say if you're missing something, well except for Damon

    ReplyDelete
  28. Inked,
    Lol, it seems everyone did ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I read most of the first book but I just got bored towards the end and never finished it. I also gave the first episode of the show a try and thought the dialogue was so unoriginal and tepid that I haven't watched it since. Though other people seem to really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Simcha
    I braved through these books, and yes totally agree with you on the show! Will I ever bother to watch a 2nd one...dunno

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love the show but books are just so/so to me. Thanks for review.

    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  32. Brandleigh
    Yes, so so, not that special really

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP