Sunday 19 September 2010

Review: Never less than a lady - Mary Jo Putney + Lori Brighton winner

Lost Lords series, book 2

Genre: Historical romance
Pages:
Published: 2010

As the sole remaining heir to the Earl of Daventry, Alexander Randall knows his duty: find a wife and sire a son of his own. The perfect bride for a man in his position would be a biddable young girl of good breeding. But the woman who haunts his imagination is Julia Bancroft - a village midwife with a dark secret that thrusts her into Randall's protection. Within the space of a day, Julia has been abducted by her first husband's cronies, rescued, and proposed to by a man she scarcely knows. Stranger still is her urge to say yes. A union with Alexander Randall could benefit them both, but Julia doubts she can ever trust her heart again, or the fervent desire Randall ignites. Yet perhaps only a Lost Lord can show a woman like Julia everything a true marriage can be.


First, fear not OCD people, I didn't know this was a "series", I read it and it worked fine. Book 1 was about a couple that showed up in this one too. So there would be no problem going back reading, cos come on, we all know there will be a HEA anyway.

Second, so embarrassed, this book gave me a freaking nightmare *shakes head*, will explain.

Julia lives in a little village and works as a midwife. But truth is she ran away cos her husband died, and he was one evil SOB. He was abusive in every way and now she hides. But his men shows up for revenge and to her rescue comes Alexander. A dashing major back from the war cos he is heir to a title. He saves and marries her. But she is scarred from life, and finds it hard to trust.

Julia was sweet, and Alexander was so understanding and lovely.

The book was an ok historical romance, and it sure wasn't scary even if I did get that nightmare. Two scarred people saving one another. And from that something builds, because she is curious and wants to make it worth, and he has not been able to forget her from their first meeting some time ago.

The plot takes some turns, she needs to confront those left behind long ago, and there is a child they need to find. And of course their love story unfolding, and all things are not as the seem.

What I didn't really care for was a plot at the end with the kid.

Blodeuedd's Cover Corner: Nice, but she would not wear a dress like that considering..
Reason for reading: I was shocked to see that the library have bought 2 HR books!
Final thoughts: Ok historical romance-


Well I knew I almost forgot something! The winner from the interview with Lori Brighton.

And the lucky person was *drum roll*

MELISSA!! (iswimfor..)

Will email you right away. Congrats and take for entering :)



27 comments:

  1. Oh, it sucks when the end disappoints! Great review though! I like that you pointed out the cover discrepancies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa
    Lol, you were a bit too quick, I just edited you as the winner :)
    The end was good and all, it's just, that storyline didn't really have to be there

    ReplyDelete
  3. It gave you a nightmare? That's too funny! And I love that you point out to the OCD crowd that this one's okay to read as a stand-alone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review!! And congrats to melissa :)

    I read this and really liked it too, because of the sweet factor. I can see why you had a nightmare b/c her ex/dead husband was horrid!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patti
    I know, a nightmare from a HR! So strange, but then her husband had done terrible things to her, and I always have nightmares about knives.

    Carrie
    I know right, the whole carving thing *shudders* so of course I then dreamt my crazy ex husband came after me with a knife.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read this author in ages! It's always disappointing when a book fails at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my gosh!! that is a horrible nightmare! i'm sorry :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you calling me OCD??? LOL!! Yes I am...somehow I just have such a a hard time reading out of order!!! Sounds like it could be a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi B!

    I like a few historicals, I love the Forever line that Hachette has, I have to say, I like them a bit steamy.... but I don't read a lot that end with a child, so many other ways to end and still have the HEA!

    Great review though, even if it did give you one tiny nightmare.

    Congrats Mellisa! Happy Reading!

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice review; I'm sorry you didn't like the end. Congrats Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A buckeye
    Oh it didn't fail me, I just thought the last plot wasn't as good as the rest

    Carrie
    It ended good at least, he got a gun, I got it, it was a bomb, I threw it at him, BOOM. A very action filled dream

    Staci
    If it fits ;)
    Books like these can be read out of order, at least I can read them like that

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dottie
    And I like mine not steamy, I am a horrible historical prude. And sex before marriage makes me not to happy in them, it feels so historically wrong.
    The kid story here was a missing bastard and well, meh

    Host
    It worked, I just didn't feel that one storyline

    ReplyDelete
  13. HR books can be strangely addictive...thanks for the review ! The dress on the cover was chosen perhaps just because of its lovely colour - nice thing you noticed that it didn't suit the epoch!

    ReplyDelete
  14. mmm, it doesn't sounds too good. And of course it gave you a nightmare, that's also not a very good thing! :) Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmm not something I would normally read. Though It does seem to have some good points

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ana
    They sure can be :)
    It was not that, it was more that she has scar tissue and would never be in a dress like that then

    Nina
    It wasn't scary or anything, it was just the mention of a knife, and my mind took me places. But yes I could recommend other books more

    Inked,
    Not normally go for in HR or the story? Cos HR, awww makes me smile

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't really read historical romances, and I don't think I'll start with this one since you said it was just okay.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anna
    No, if you ever want to start with something I would have other recommendations

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice review. Romances seem to be easier to read out of order than mysteries in my experience.

    I can't remember the last book that actually gave me a nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Carol,
    Truth be told, neither can I, and then I get one from a HR, so weird

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's been awhile since I've read a really good historical romance....

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ladytink
    You must find a way to remedy that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sounds like a good read. Sorry it gave you a nightmare!
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Naida
    No worries, at least the nightmare ended in a good way

    ReplyDelete
  25. lol you crack me up! What midwife wears a dress like that indeed.
    Great review and shame the ending wasn't all that great.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Jenny
    It was that second story coming in, and honestly I may not really have cared about it all

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP