Thursday 9 September 2010

Review: The Uncrowned King - Rowena Cory Daniells

Book 2 of King Rolen's Kin

Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 396
Published: August 2010

Thirteen year old Piro watches powerless as her father's enemies march on the castle, while a traitor whispers poison in the King's ear, undermining his trust in her brother, Byren. Determined to prove his loyalty, Byren races to the Abbey; somehow, he must convince the Abbot to send his warriors to defend the castle. And Fyn, the youngest of King Rolen's sons, has barely begun his training as a mystic, but wakes in a cold sweat, haunted by dreams of betrayal.


Some spoilers from book 1 are coming up

This was a good follow-up to book 1, it is also much shorter than book 1. Not that I mind chunky books, oh no, I love those. But this one still was packed with action and drama.

Lence is dead and Byren is no heir to Rolencia. He needs to get to the warrior monks to save his kingdom. Fyn has a feeling that they have been betrayed, and for someone who didn't have much affinity he sure feels more now. And then there is the last sibling, Piro, who is hiding in her own home in fear of her wicked cousin Cobalt.

In this book Byren got into a lot of trouble, I feared for him as the tried to reach the monks, reach home. All while an invading army was nipping at his heels. He is still the strong warrior, but I have started to wonder now if he will get the throne in the end. Because in this one he makes some very unlikely friends, and then there is the whole rumour that he is gay. Piro is a feisty little girl, and I do like her. She hides as a servant and witness the destruction of the kingdom with her own eyes. As the book was ending I was very unsure how she would fare. Then there is Fyn, I got really angry at him at one point when he tried to rescue Cobalt. To his defence he didn't know that snake led the army into the town, and wanted to marry Piro, and take his mother as his lover. Fyn at the end, oh I am sure he will have quite the adventure in book 3, and then there is that dream he has of Isolt, the daughter of the Merofynian king..could the meaning be..no, oh I need the next book.

This book had some daring escapes and darkest betrayal. These three siblings are doing their parts to save their dying kingdom, and I have no idea what the future holds for them. The bad guys are well done, and with one I am not sure what to make of him. He has his own agenda. The book has a good cast of characters, and I am happy to see them evolve. There is adventure, action, and a rich world with interesting beasts.

A good middle book to a good new series. The third will bring this saga to an end, and it is a book that I must read so that I finally will know what happens to King Rolen's Kin.

Blodeuedd's Cover Corner: I liked this one better.
Reason for reading: From the author
Final thoughts: If you are looking for some new fantasy this year then try this one.


17 comments:

  1. I'm not really a fantasy buff, but wow- that cover is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Patty. Am writing the title down for BF. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. I really like the sound of this series. Going to add to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patti,
    It is pretty isn't it :) And I do like that they used an image of a bird much talked about in the books.

    Susi
    I am sure bf would like this series!

    Tori
    Thanks for stopping by :) It's a fun one, and one of those I just can't stop reading it books

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome cover!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw the word spoiler and scrolled to the bottom because I loved your review of book 1 and really think this is a series that I will read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carol
    There is soemthing special about these covers (even if the 3rd totally looks like a zombie ;)

    Staci
    Good idea. There was some spoilers since to know what happens in this one, well then you know what happened before.
    Such a cool series,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a good series. Great review! I dont mind chunky books either, as long as they are good reads.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. DC
    It is something else :)

    Naida,
    Chunky good reads are the best, but then they do have to be great :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep gorgeous cover... They got us with that one.

    I have the first in the series on my list so I skimmed the review. I want to read it but I have so many books....I need to read faster...lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read this series but I want this book for that cover alone - is that wrong? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shellie
    Oh if one only could read faster, wouldn't that be lovely ;) The books I would have time to read then. But I hope you like book 1

    Amused
    Hihi, I may have found myself guilty of buying a book based on the cover once...or ten times ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carrie
    Lol, me too :) Nothing better than fantasy that lives up to its expectations

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have you noticed the amount of teens in fantasy all of a sudden - give me a good dastardly evil druid or a wizard set on revenge - more than these kids doing the impossible...

    Glad you like it - hope the third book surpass your expectation..

    E.H>

    ReplyDelete
  15. EH
    Well, honestly haven't they always been kids :) or tweens or whatever they are called. I don't mind, well as long as the main character is at least over 18, if not then it becomes too YA or evil

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP