Monday 15 October 2012

Review: Becoming Clementine - Jennifer Niven


After delivering a B-17 Flying Fortress to Britain, an American volunteers to copilot a plane carrying special agents to their drop spot over Normandy. Her personal mission: to find her brother, who is missing in action. Their plane is shot down, and only she and five agents survive. Now they are on the run for their lives.

As they head to Paris, the beautiful aviatrix Velva Jean Hart becomes Clementine Roux, a daring woman on an epic adventure with her team to capture an operative known only as "Swan." Once settled on Rue de la Néva, Clementine works as a spy with the Resistance and finds herself falling in love with her fellow agent, Émile, a handsome and mysterious Frenchman with secrets of his own. When Clementine ends up in the most brutal prison in Paris, trying to help Émile and the team rescue Swan, she discovers the depths of human cruelty, the triumph of her own spirit, and the bravery of her team, who will stop at nothing to carry out their mission.

My thoughts:
I do love fiction books. I might love other genres more, but fiction is the genre that gives me the most. Good writing, good stories and well just a good genre. I do love a good voice.

This is actually book 3, but that does not show. It's a perfectly good standalone novel that shows us the life of Velva Jean as she in 1944 flies over the Atlantic. She is a Wasp, one of the forgotten ones from WWII. The book shows what women did in the war. Velva Jean is brave and wonderful. She goes to France to find her brother. She goes into a war zone cos of family, and to be a tool of war.

I have heard about the Wasps, the women pilots of the war. But I never knew much and how they struggled. The men were not happy, no one was really happy. Not that there is much flying here, no, instead there is spying, and danger.

The book is well written and there is this tone over the book that I liked. Velva thinks, feels, and well it just have to be read.

Conclusion:
A great book about forgotten heroines.

Series: Velva Jean #3
Genre. Historical Fiction
Pages: 368
Published: September 2012 by Plume
Source: For review

38 comments:

  1. I loved the first Velva Jean book and need to catch up with her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Historical fiction is a genre that's really growing on me, and I love the idea of learning about these women pilots and everything they struggled with during the war:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt so sorry for them. They risked their lives and the men just did not care

      Delete
  3. You know this one sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when a character's voice comes shining through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I loved general fiction more but I just can't get into it. This does sound like it would be a fantastic book though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I adore it and read way too little. Cos even if I speedread other books and enjoy the stories, General fiction is the genre that makes me love writing

      Delete
  6. Oh a French/English book lol. Well Ok I'm always so happy to see some French names in ENglish books, so fun. I like books like that but I'm really difficult and I only like some period of history so I don't know if this one is for me. But it sounds interesting to learn more about Velva Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes most of the time is spent in France :)

      I am difficult too, sure I have my eras that I love the most but in the end things like that does not matter cos I end up loving all eras

      Delete
  7. You totally had me at your conclusion. You sold me with that line. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds fantastic! I love historical fiction especially WWII and I would love to know more about the WASPS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really should be more books about them :)

      Delete
  9. Ahhh gotta love a good historical fiction novel. I would love to learn more about WASPS, so I have check this out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are the best :)
      I hope you do check it out

      Delete
  10. Thank you so much for this wonderful review! I'm happy you enjoyed the book, and I appreciate your spreading the word about Velva Jean. :) (I love your site by the way!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by :) And thanks for those words (I do love my blog :)

      And the book was just lovely, there was such a charm to it. Even in the dark moments

      Delete
  11. Spies! Second World War! OOO, you tempt me so much with these topics, Blodeuedd! ;))) *no, I will not buy or request it right now from the library! You have to wait, Karina. GET YOUR HANDS OFF THE KEYBOARD!!!*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes spies and the war, you know you want it

      Delete
  12. This sounds like a great historical, I never heard about wasps. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do seem to have been lost in time :(

      Delete
  13. Sounds like a wonderful fiction read. I don't get to them that often, but sounds very good. :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fiction is just so great, why do I not read more?

      Delete
  14. Great review. Sounds like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, book 3 and I've never heard of the series?! Yeek. I really like the cover - do you not review the covers any more in your posts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot :(
      But my thoughts would have been: Fitting for the book

      Delete
  16. Be good while I'm on vacation! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think I like it best when a book in a series can be a stand alone. Sometimes I just want to jump in and get started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not even know before googling her, so that is how well it worked

      Delete
  18. Hey, this is a new-to-me author and book which warrants a look-up-and-see :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP