Monday 29 October 2012

Review: Flutter - Gina Linko


All Emery Land wants is to be like any other 17-year-old—to go to school, hang out with her friends, and just be normal. But for as long as she can remember, she’s suffered from seizures. And in recent years they’ve consumed her life. To Emery they’re much more than seizures, she calls them loops—moments when she travels through wormholes back and forth in time and to a mysterious town. The loops are taking their toll on her physically. So she practically lives in the hospital where her scientist father and an ever-growing team of doctors monitor her every move. They’re extremely interested in the data they collect when Emery seizes. It appears that she’s tapping into parts of the brain typically left untouched by normal human beings.

Escaping from the hospital, Emery travels to Esperanza, the town from her loops on the upper peninsula of Michigan, where she meets Asher Clarke. Ash’s life is governed by his single-minded pursuit of performing good Samaritan acts to atone for the death of a loved one. His journey is very much entwined with Emery’s loops. 

Drawn together they must unravel their complicated connection before it’s too late.

My thoughts:
This book was light and easy to read, and one thing kept me reading and reading. What on earth is going on in this book?

Emery is not your average girl. She suffers from seizures and have to sleep in the hospital. And these seizures are killing her. While in them she sees things and comes to the conclusion that she is time-travelling. And this was the thing that pushed me forward. Is she really? How will she stop it from killing her? The mystery around her and her disease was good.

She travels to another town and meets Ash. He has secrets of his own, slowly I learn more and feel that their story is as doomed as they come.

The book is such a mystery. Time-travel, a strange disease, a mystery little boy that tells her to go to this town...making it into a good book that I had a hard time putting down.

And the end, wow, the end..that is all I am saying. I did not see it coming.

Conclusion
A twist, a turn, and there you have this book.

Cover.
Eh

Genre: YA
Pages: 352
Published: October 23rd 2012 by Random House Books for young readers
Source: For review

48 comments:

  1. I've discovered that I do enjoy some time travel so I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weeell, time travel can go wrong and can go write. I don't know - undecided to the extreme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love mysteries and time travel, so together, this is probably something I'd like to read. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think you would enjoy this one. It's a pageturner

      Delete
  4. I do enjoy time travel elements in a story, and this one sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You just reminded me I need I review this one. Glad it is decent...hey I like mystery and twists and turns but the cover sure is lame!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would never have guessed that this was a time travel book from looking at the cover. Wonder where she time travels to now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That you just have to read to find out ;)

      Delete
  7. I would have passed on this book because of the cover, but this one sounds like it's a different kind of YA book. I do have a weakness for time travel books, but I just don't know about this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing with this is that not all is what it seems. I could not wrap my head around what was happening and had to keep reading

      Delete
  8. Wait... this is YA, right? YaY for you! ;)

    This does sound good. I love a good twist and this sounds perfect for me. You have put this further up my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe yes sometimes I go outside the box ;)

      Delete
  9. Sounds worth giving a try, but I'm not keen on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The story sounds really interesting but there's something about the way the description is written that turns me off. "Ash’s life is governed by his single-minded pursuit of performing good Samaritan acts to atone for the death of a loved one. His journey is very much entwined with Emery’s loops. " Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, forget about that part and focus on that it might be good instead ;)

      Delete
  11. Pardon my pun, but I'm all aflutter! :) Great review, Blodeuedd, I'm much more willing to read this book after you've mentioned time-travelling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, yes this book do make you all aflutter.

      Delete
  12. Sounds like the author hit a home run at the end there. :) And I don't know about the cover, kinda creepy to me.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look creepy too.

      I do love when an author can surprise me

      Delete
  13. love the sounds of this one. quite different from the usual stuff out there. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does hold its own against the rest of the pack

      Delete
  14. Sounds awesome. Very interesting...I wonder how it all ends.....*contemplates*....buuuut that cover is creepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That I can't say, mwouahahahahahaha

      Delete
    2. :0 You evil wench!

      hehehehe just kidding ^.^

      Delete
  15. Kinda creepy cover... And hopefully the surprise ending actually worked for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprises are always hard but yes here it worked perfectly

      Delete
  16. I guess this is one of those cases where I shouldn't judge the book by its cover. Your review made it sound really interesting, I'm adding it to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now I have to have it. It sounds super good. But, a little boy telling her that? Really? Creepy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do not like the cover but I loved that ending. Even though I didn't feel much for the characters and I was a little confused about where it all was heading but it was a solid surprise (to me) ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good ending, it could have gone both ways, and yes I liked it. I do enjoy surprises

      Delete
  19. I am glad you liked this and that it kept you turning the pages, its in my tbr pile *eyes bookshelf*

    ReplyDelete
  20. Poor Emery it must be difficult for her...

    ReplyDelete
  21. i'm glad to hear you say this one is a light read b/c it sounded kind of intense at first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The things in it might be intense at times but the writing is light

      Delete
  22. By the cover I thought that this was a horror book but from your review it seems more like a paranormal YA...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Horror nope (but it sure looks like it!)Paranormal, well I have to classify it as that but in the end, the only weird things is her seizures. Hard to put it in a genre

      Delete
  23. This one sounds very very interesting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sold! This sounds like one for me. Thanks for great review :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP