Tuesday 23 October 2012

Review: Feast of Souls - Celia Friedman


At the end of her bestselling Coldfire Trilogy, C.S. Friedman challenged readers to imagine what a world would be like if sorcery required the ultimate sacrifice–that of life itself. Now, in a groundbreaking new fantasy novel, FEAST OF SOULS, she introduces us to a terrifying new world in which the cost of magic is just that–a world in which the fuel for sorcery is the very fire of the human spirit, and those who hunger for magical power must pay for it with their lives. In this epic tale of terrifying shadows and desperate hope, the greatest threat of all may not be that of ancient enemies returned, or ancient wars resumed, but of the darkness that lies within the hearts of men.

My thoughts:
I love a good fantasy book and this was just that. I could not put it down.

I did want a map though, I always need a map in fantasy. But ok, on to the story. We meet a king and queen and one son is dying. Those who are the masters of magic in the world has been sent for (the Magisters). They know what's wrong, I am not gonna say it, but it was such a good twist. And I so want to talk about it as it's one big part of this book, and the whole series. But just know that..it's good.

We follow a few people as the story progress, and again I just can't tell you what they all are doing. There is Kamila, who wants to do more in life than the hard life of a poor woman without choices. She wants to be a Magister, but only men can become Magisters. Women lacks something and does not make it through the training. They become witches, but not all men can become Magisters either, so they are also witches. I did enjoy the magic system. But did I like her? Not really. Dunno why either. Sure she was cold, but her life had been hard.

There is Prince Andovan who is dying, I liked him. Colivar, a magister, he is a mystery, I liked him too. Queen Gwynofar, a princess from the North and of a people who guard the rest of the world against a dark evil. An evil that is said to return one day. All in all a great cast.

A great story, there is a quest of finding answers, a quest of becoming bigger than you are, and then the story takes a darker turn too. A turn that made me want to read the rest of this trilogy at once. It looks to be a great series indeed.

Conclusion:
What is the price of magic? What's too big to pay? That you will learn.

Series. The Magisters Trilogy #1
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 582
Published: 2008 by Orbit
Source Library

34 comments:

  1. I don't read a lot of fantasy because I always want a map and family tree LOL. Seriously, every single time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a map addict I tell you, map addict ;)

      Delete
  2. No map..eep that is horrible. this sounds interesting, i only read a few high fantasies a year, but I add this to my list..since you teased us about the son..shame on you..LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes I am evil ;D
      Maps are so needed, at least for me cos I want to see the world

      Delete
  3. It seems I would like to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard her Coldfire trilogy has an evil ending, start with that one ;)

      Delete
  4. You always make me want to give Fantasy a try! This book sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always want a map and probably a family tree as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Family trees I can live without, but those I want with historical fic tion

      Delete
  6. You are right, Blodeuedd! I always need a map to navigate good old fantasy too! ;) Sounds like a very good book, glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maps are a fantasy lover's best friend :)

      Delete
  7. This is new author for me but this sounds intriguing. I should check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this sounds like a good fantasy. Sounds like a really good quest. I'm going to have to check this author out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who would appreciate a map!!! This sounds like a stellar read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maps are essential! :D In all other books, no. But in fantasy, essential! :D

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a great series and cool cover too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look at that I forgot my cover thoughts, yet again

      Delete
  11. hahaha I need maps and a family tree too. ^.^ I even had to create a map and family tree for my fantasy writings I've been doing.

    Sounds like a lot of fun! I'm glad you liked it so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always create maps when I write fantasy and yes I admit I love creating those maps, love love it :D

      Delete
  12. Love the review, and I think I will love this book as well. I am in the mood for a good fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then this is the way to go :D Nothing cheers me up like a story I can get lost in

      Delete
  13. This sounds good Blodeuedd, I'd like to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't really like the cover... it's always difficult for me when it's like that lol. But it sounds like an amazing fantasy novel. It's a genre I don't read a lot I confess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just..very boring. Not that I liked the other covers that I saw of it either

      Delete
  15. Oh, this is completely new to me. Really! How did I miss this one? Okay, sounds like one I need to add to the list. :D Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP