Tuesday 9 October 2012

Review: Magus of Stonewylde - Kit Berry


Sylvie is dying. A victim of crippling allergies, poisoned by the pollution and chemicals of modern life, Sylvie is trapped in a hospital bed while her mother and doctors watch her life slipping away. But one of them offers her a chance. There's an alternative community - Stonewylde - hidden away behind high boundary walls in a corner of Dorset. If their leader, the charismatic Magus, would let Sylvie visit then perhaps the clean air and green lifestyle may restore her vitality. Or at least give her some measure of peace before she dies. It's a chance, and when Sylvie and her mother take it, they find themselves in a haven of tranquillity and beauty. 

But it's not all idyllic. The Magus sends a moody, secretive Village boy to work in their garden as a punishment. He warns them to stay away from him - he's rebellious and in deep trouble. But Sylvie is curious about Yul and, as their forbidden friendship grows, she sees that all is not quite as it seems at Stonewylde. Why was she told to keep away from Yul - and why are she and her mother so drawn to the Magus? Is the crone on the hill really a powerful wise-woman, or just a crazed old hag bent on destroying the peace with her wild prophecies? And what exactly is the magical secret at the heart of this seemingly perfect community?

My thoughts:
There is a hidden place within England, a place of magic where people follow the old ways. And that's where this story takes place.

Sylvie is poisoned by modern society and comes to Stonewylde. She is weak, but she slowly finds strength and her way. Still at one time I did fear her going tstl on me as she become friends with someone she had seen do something bad. But then again she is just that nice. 

Yul, is a village boy who I felt sorry for. This is not a nice society. I quickly saw the faults through his eyes. The Magus who is in charge can say whatever he wants to but this is a feudal society where some reap the benefits of the sweat of others backs. Poor Yul, he is just so broken.

Yes this may seem like the perfect place, but there is a darkness over it all too. I also felt like some are pushed too much when it comes to a certain ritual. But I shall say no more. It's the old ways and it makes it to one good story. Darkness and light.

The book may end with a glimmer of hope but it's far from over and it made me want to jump at the next one at once.

Conclusion:
A YA fantasy/paranormal story that will bring you friendship, injustice and budding romance.

Cover
works

Series: Stonewylde #1
Genre: YA, Paranormal
Pages: 352
Published: 2011 by Gollancz (first pub 2005)
Source: Review


31 comments:

  1. This sounds like a cool fantasy, and I love hidden towns

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo... That is a cool cover. I'd like to visit this Stonewylde place. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like a book that ends with a glimmer of hope, I always need something like that to make me want to continue on with the series:) Thanks for putting this one on my radar, I hadn't heard of it before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do need a glimmer of hope since sometimes it can get so dark

      Delete
  4. You liked an YA book? Then it must be good :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I like YA as long as it has no drama and triangles ;)

      Delete
  5. Oh I didn't know this one but it sounds really great. Well a plus, I love the cover! thanks for the discovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look good, all the covers are and a tad creepy too, well one ;)

      Delete
  6. Oh I like and it sounds like it sets you up for the next pretty well. I'm already looking forward to #2 and I haven't read this one yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that will come today..just got 50 more pages to go

      Delete
  7. Oh you didn't read this one! How did you know I have it on the want list? I had liked the sounds of it. Does sound good. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SOunds really cool! I wish I could visit that world. ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  9. going on my wishlist . great review

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds nice and dark and sweet...liquorice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make it sour too cos there is a bad baddie

      Delete
  11. Maybe this one goes on the list for my daughter. Sounds like a good YA without a lot of the garbage that they sometimes bring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read about chapter 2 and stopped when I encountered that dark side of their society... yes, I'm easily discouraged...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was..dark, I got so angry at one person

      Delete
  13. This one sounds really nice. The setting sounds cool.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been wanting to get back to some YA and fantasy..maybe this is the one that will take care of both needs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. though even if I call it fantasy..it still is not fantasy. Oh how I confuse myself

      Delete
  15. I love when a book spurs you into wanting the next book now. While YA Fantasy isn't for me, it does sound like it is a fantastic setting!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP