Sunday 15 June 2014

A hint of frost - Hailey Edwards

When the head of the Araneidae clan is found poisoned in her nest, her eldest daughter, Lourdes, becomes their clan's new maven. If her clan is to survive, she has but one choice: she must marry before her nest is seized. All she needs is a warrior fierce enough to protect her city and safeguard her clansmen. Such a male is Rhys the Cold.

Born the youngest son of an impoverished maven, the only things Rhys has to his name are his sword and his mercenary reputation. His clan is starving, but their fondness for the flesh of fellow Araneaeans makes them unwelcome dinner guests. Torn between loyalty to his clan and fascination with his future bride, Rhys s first taste of Lourdes threatens to melt the cold encasing his heart.

Amid the chaos of battle, Lourdes s sister disappears and is feared captured. Lourdes and Rhys pursue their enemies into the southlands, where they discover an odd plague ravaging southern clans as it travels north, to Erania. Determined to survive, Lourdes will discover whether she s worth her silk or if she s spun the thread by which her clan will hang.

Warning: This book contains one mercenary hero with a biting fetish, one determined heroine who gets nibbled, and an answer to the age-old question, What does dragon taste like? Matricide and sibling rivalry are available upon request. The house special is revenge, best served cold.

My thoughts:
Interesting world, even if I would have liked more explanations. What I did learn is that there are many clans. Some richer, some poorer, doing different things in life. And they are well, human spiders. They can spin, some of them they have venom too. Spider people, cool.

Right, the book starts with battle. The rich clan's guardians attacked and killed a lot. Lourdes, our heroine marries Rhys (from the cannibal clan) so they will have new guardians. I never did get why they fell in love, for it's not like they talked a lot or did certain other things either. So there the story could have been better for me. But hey I was all spider people! Cannibals! So I could live with that.

The story is about getting the new guardians and then finding her sister. So not a lot happens. But the world does intrigue me.

Cover
Ok

ebook, 256 pages
Published April 17th 2012 by Samhain Publishing, Ltd.
Araneae Nation #1
Fantasy romance

33 comments:

  1. It's too bad this book didn't completely work for you as the story has some really cool ingredients. Spider people and cannibals sound really interesting. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new guardians sound interesting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spider people and cannibals...sounds unique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spider people? Despite the lack of details this sounds unique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have needed more worldbuilding but what I got was sure cool

      Delete
  5. Another book I've had forever but I have yet to actually read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A co-reviewer was meant to review it like 2 years ago...well she is gone, but I read it now ;)

      Delete
  6. Sounds intriguing and I liked the cover! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds really odd! I'm not sure I could do spider people...they kinda sound as unpleasant as actual spiders :P

    ~Mogsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can dig spider people and cannibals. I am reading a book with swan people... very interesting to see what hybrids will come up next!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love the cover and it's a new one for me, I hope you'll have your answers for the worls in the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spider people and cannibals? This one sounds intriguing, but I'm not sure. I think I'll wait until you read second book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Human spiders just sounds creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. spider people *shudder* ... I'm spider phobic haha

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG spider people? Seriously, I froze up for like 10 seconds. *shudder*

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've got this one on my tablet. I don't know about the whole spider people bit though. ::shudders::

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just think of them as...vamps with spidey fingers

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP