Wednesday 11 June 2014

Blood will Follow - Snorri Kristjansson

Ulfar Thormodsson and Audun Arngrimsson have won the battle for Stenvik, although at huge cost, for they have suffered much worse than heartbreak. They have lost the very thing that made them human: their mortality.

While Ulfar heads home, looking for the place where he thinks he will be safe, Audun runs south. But both men are about to discover that they can not run away from themselves.

King Olav might have been defeated outside the walls of Stenvik, but now Valgard leads him north, in search of the source of the Vikings’ power.

All the while there are those who watch and wait, biding their time, for there are secrets yet to be discovered…

My thoughts:
I do love when the second book is better than the first. Now what made it so? I am always so bad with that, cos honestly it was everything that helped. It seemed to flow better, better written, better story, hey the book was better. And since book 1 was already good, the better :) I am way too used to a series going downwards instead.

Right so the big bad happened, Ulfar and Audun are now immortal. That is something I like about this book. Yes there is magic, yes the Gods walk the earth. And it feels real. Because then Christianity came and swept away all that. But now it feels like the olden days sure were deadly and magical.

The story is a sort of road trip. Ulfar goes back to Sweden and wonders about why he can't die, why did the evil woman curse them? While Audun tries to flee to the south. But men like them can't run away. Something, someone is after them.

While in Norway that bastard Valgard is all cozy with King Olav (arghhh Valgard!). Valgard is also after the powers of old. So I am sensing a big showdown maybe in the next book, or not.

Great story. These two men meeting strangers and trying to find themselves and what they will do next. And darkness gathering in Norway. So hard to pick good and bad, cos Valgard is bad and should not get any power. But then I do not like King Olav either cos you do not force people to find faith.

Conclusion:
A less bloody book than book 1 as that one was all anticipation before the siege of Stenvik. Here we get more of everything else. An interesting book that I could not put down. And I do wonder where their journey will take them next.

cover 
fitting

Paperback, 400 pages
Published June 5th 2014 by Jo Fletcher Books (first published May 29th 2014)
The Valhalla Saga #2
Historical fiction
for review

43 comments:

  1. I love your enthusiasm for these grand fantasy books, always makes me want to read them and I don't even like fantasy that much. Glad this was better than the 1st as well, always nice. :) Love the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well not fantasy, historical fiction with a magical twist to it

      Delete
  2. Not my genre, but I agree with Victoria. You make these books sound so good that I want to read them too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some series just get better as it goes along. I hope that is the case with this one and it continues to get even better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, so glad book two was stronger even if it wasn't as bloody..LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad it wasn't too bloody, we can't swim in it can we

      Delete
  5. It's kind of sad that we're shocked when a series gets better. I'm glad that was the case her though.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! So sad, but I am just so used to it ./

      Delete
  6. Ooh this sounds like a cool series! Glad the second book was better than the first and that you couldn't put it down. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember your review for book1 and how much you loved it! Happy to see book 2 is just as good if not better. No sequel slump!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY *shudders* Nothing worse than 2nd book syndrome

      Delete
  8. I've noticed that once in a while an author tries to hard with the first book. Once they get to the second one they seem to calm down and find their voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His voice just flowed easier somehow so that must be it. Not that there was anything wrong with it before but still better

      Delete
  9. you're right, it's always a nice surprised when book 2 is better. After that we really want book 3 lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool :D Vikings, death and magic ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an awesome book title. And YAY for second books that don't let you down ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks great, and I'm glad to hear the second book is better than the first. Higher chance I'll read this series now!

    ~Mogsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay for the second book being even better for the first. It seems to happen rarely, but I love it when it does:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't I reply...arghh blogger is being cranly

      Delete
    2. cranky, oops. Need to get some light in here

      Delete
  14. Well, I will gladly trade blood for more of everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  15. When the second book in a series doesn't fall for second book syndrome and only gets stronger it's a dance part worth moment, lol! Glad you're liking this one so much :) Lily

    ReplyDelete
  16. I need a great historical fiction book, something interesting to read. I love the names of the characters, they remind me of the characters of the TV show The Vikings. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well they are norse names so :) Oh and at least here they do not all speak with horrible fake accents

      Delete
  17. i love it when second books are better then first myself! always awesome

    ReplyDelete
  18. I gave in and bought book 1. Good to know it gets only better.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP