Thursday 10 July 2014

Terra - Mitch Benn

"I found myself thinking of Roald Dahl, Douglas Adams, and Terry Pratchett. Wise, funny, and above all human."  —Neil Gaiman

Terra is about to go to school for the first time. It's a very alien experience. She's been an outsider all her life. But that needn't be a bad thing. It's a perspective that lets her see just how very odd and alien humans are, as well as how human aliens can be. Terra came from Rrth but she has grown up on Fnrr. Fnrr is a very different world, the people there are very different and they speak a very strange language; yet, despite being an alien there, it has become home for Terra. But her extraordinary new home, Fnrr, is spiraling into a terrible war. Terra is a charming and hilarious satirical fable from a fantastic new voice.

My thoughts:
I enjoyed this book. Benn delivers his tale with wit and satire. The book does not take itself too seriously, but still got something important to say too.

It's a book about Terra. She was born on earth, but grew up on Fnrr. How she came there, well that you will have to read. Fnrr is a society of science, and sports. Nothing else is needed. And Terra is very different, we see her struggle, and we see her laugh. She may not always fit in but it's still her world too. Now, the whole book is not just about Terra growing up. Her world will soon be in danger.

It was a highly enjoyable sci-fi book. It was amusing, but it had also those thoughtful moments. Yes how would aliens see our planets? We do seem very stupid at times. You know, destroying the planet we live on.

Conclusion:
If you want a bit of sci-fi that is not just about space and tech, then this is the book for you. A book about a girl growing about on an alien planet, a planet that is different but still not that different from ours.

Cover
eh

Paperback, 255 pages
Published April 1st 2014 by Gollancz (first published July 18th 2013)
Terra #1
Sci-fi YA
For review

36 comments:

  1. Now I just might like sci-fi like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not my genre at all, but I am intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even want to know what aliens think of us. I'm sure it's not anything positive. lol

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOw aliens see our planet... how very Star Trek! They probably think we're toddlers, we think we know better but really we have no clue LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silly toddlers with toys we should not have ;)

      Delete
  5. I'm not big on aliens, but this book actually intrigues me. Hmm... Have I found my first SciFi read?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo, this one sounds pretty interesting! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the sci-fi and aliens aspect, but based on the blurb from Gaiman, the style might not be for me.

    ~mogsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure about this one. It might be good though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This one is totally new to me, but I like :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds perfect for me... To my TBR it goes...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah sci-fi, you know it's quite difficult for me so I'm not sure...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not SCI_FI sci-fi, it's YA and younger even

      Delete
  13. Sounds quite interesting, and I love the idea of the writing style :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, sci fi without the sci?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there is a lot of sci too, lots of clever talk, it's just that it does not feel oh shit that went over my head. It's more aha, ok

      Delete
  15. I like the sound of this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. At first the cover creeped me out (*points at little girl*), but then after reading the summary it all makes sense. Still creepy, but appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like sci-fi that can be clever or satirical. I do often wonder how bizarre our behavior would seem to aliens. :-) I'll have to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my favorite kind of sci.fi, that and the philosophical kind

      Delete
  18. A society of science....I can totally get behind that.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP