Tuesday 29 July 2014

The Major's Daughter - J.P.Francis

April, 1944.  The quiet rural village of Stark, New Hampshire is irrevocably changed by the arrival of 150 German prisoners of war.  And one family, unexpectedly divided, must choose between love and country.

Camp Stark is under the command of Major John Brennan, whose beautiful daughter, Collie, will serve as translator. Educated at Smith and devoted to her widowed father, Collie is immediately drawn to Private August Wahrlich, a peaceful poet jaded by war. As international conflict looms on the home front, their passion blinds them to the inevitable dangers ahead.

Inspired by the little-known existence of a real World War II POW camp, The Major’s Daughter is a fresh take on the timeless theme of forbidden love.

My thoughts:
Forbidden love that never can really bloom, what can be more heartbreaking? This is the story of a POW camp in New Hampshire, where German soldiers are put to work in the woods. I had no idea that there were POW camps in the States. I did know about imprisoning their own citizens though, but dragging the Germans from France, nope, new to me.

Collie is as the title says the major's daughter and she is going to work at Camp Stark as a camp translator. And when the prisoners come one catches her eye. It's a story of stolen glances, a few words here and there, longer talks until they realize that this is is love. But Collie knows she should not do this, and someone else is also courting her. A safe and nice man.

The book is not only about them, her friend Estelle has her own romance that cannot be. I liked how the author made Estelle think longer into the book. I can't really say much, but it says a lot about how women were made to think. Not in a good way.

The war ravages Europe, and there are conflicts at Camp Stark too. Conflicts between the prisoners, as all are  of course not nazis. Some are just men having to fight for their country. But there are also those that do not want them here, and there is one scene that broke me. People can be such idiots.

The book got sad too. Tear worthy sad. I was shocked. But it can't really be a dance on roses as this is about war after all.

Conclusion:
An interesting look at a POW camp. Romance and just trying to do what is best for you, even if that is in the end the wrong choice

Cover
nice

Paperback, 400 pages
Published July 29th 2014 by Plume
Historical fiction
For review

52 comments:

  1. I haven't read anything about POW camp, but can imagine that it would be emotionl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never read anything before either

      Delete
  2. It's good when you can enjoy a book and read something in the process. I think this would be very emotional for me too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have cried if I had not been in shock

      Delete
  3. I love WWII stories and like that this is from a different angle. I'll have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't mind books that make me cry, but does it end well? I can only deal with being sad while reading if things work out okay in the end:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I say that I will spoil everything. But Germany loses, I can give you that. Lol

      Delete
  5. My last comment got eaten. Fail. Does this book end well at least? I can deal with sad books that make me cry as long as there's at least some hope by the time I reach the last page:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently it didn't get eaten and now I've commented 100 times. So sorry!

      Delete
    2. don't worry, can happen to anybody :)

      Delete
  6. This seems like a fantastic read. :) I shall add it to my TBR

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds really nice and no, no happy ending would be possible here but the cover I don't like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like a letter, i like it. And Ana, you are good, and right

      Delete
  8. I read another review just yesterday. Am fascinated by this story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haven't read anything about POW camps so this would be interesting. Sounds like an emotional read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't really do this without getting emotional

      Delete
  10. POW camps or concentration camps are so hard to read. I do like them though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. to read about them that is as I find it horrible and fascinating

      Delete
    2. Horrible and fascinating are the words. I still remember that movie Bale this as a kid. Still haunts me

      Delete
  11. Sounds like a sad historical. I need to check this one out. And of course I'm a fan of forbidden love stories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This book sounds both haunting and enchanting at the same time. I have this one on my bookshelf and after reading your review...I can't wait to read it.


    Kimberlee
    girllostinabook@hotmail.com
    www.girllostinabook.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. *waves back* Last day of vacation! NOOOOOOO

      Delete
  14. Have you read The Bronze Horseman? You should read it if you haven't yet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds good! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I agree, the cover is nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cute, and she loves letters so it fits

      Delete
  16. Umm . . . not sure this one is for me, but I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I liked your review - it's on my list. I know I'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I never knew that there were ever German prisoners in the US. I like novels set in wartimes so I will be checking this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither did I. I would think it would be so much effort taking them prisoners and shipping them from Europe.

      Delete
  19. I'd want that one just for the cover :) So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really want to read this one! I'll have to get myself read for tear worthy sad.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow I don't think I've ever read a story about a POW camp in the US, usually it's the reverse. I definitely want to give this a try, even though I have a feeling I'm going to be cursing people's stupidity during this time period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one thing was just so omg, you idiots! *smacks them over the head*

      Delete
  22. I didn't know about German POW camps within the US either!! I won this book from LibraryThing. Can't wait to read it!! (I'll have tissues ready.)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I also didn't know about the German POW camps in the States, first time I hear about it.
    I want to read this one, but I'm not sure about the sad part... I don't like to read sad books. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sad part was sad...heartbreaking, in my book unnecessary

      Delete
  24. I can't wait to read this. I guess I better keep tissues nearby.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP