Wednesday 30 July 2014

The Novice / The High Lord - Trudi Canavan

Alone among all the novices in the Magicians' Guild, only Sonea comes from lowly beginnings. Yet she has won powerful allies—including Lord Dannyl, newly promoted to Guild Ambassador. But Dannyl must now depart for the Elyne court, leaving Sonea at the mercy of the lies and malicious rumors her enemies are busy spreading. .. until the High Lord Akkarin steps in. The price of Akkarin's support is dear, however, because Sonea, in turn, must protect his mysteries—and a secret that could lead a young novice mage deep into the darkness. Meanwhile, Dannyl's first order to resume High Lord Akkarin's long-abandoned research into ancient magical knowledge is setting him on an extraordinary journey fraught with unanticipated peril—as he moves ever-closer to a future both wondrous . .. and terrible.

My thoughts:
This book dealt with bullying and it was horrible reading at times. My heart really went out to Sonea. Kids can be so cruel! Taunting, physical abuse, they never stopped it just got worse. Oh how I wished she had thrown them off a roof. But anything she would have done would not have worked. Others believed the bully first. I hope he dies a fiery death.

Yes so the first year at the university for magic is hard. Not to mention that she must avoid the High Lord as she knows he likes black magic. Things will not be easy for her. 

Another character goes on a journey to look for hidden clues about the dark one, and here the book also addresses homosexuality. One country firmly opposed it, one country was not against it, but not for it either and a third he visits do not mind it. It was different. She sure brought forth some issues in this one.

Conclusion:
Still it was a light book that I could read fast.

Cover
Pretty sure that is a man, one would think Sonea could be on the cover

Paperback, 577 pages
Published July 1st 2004 by Orbit (first published 2002)
The Black Magician Trilogy #2
Fantasy
own


Sonea has learned much since she was but a penniless urchin possessing an awesome untapped ability. She has earned the grudging respect of her fellow novices and a place in the Magicians' Guild. But there is much she wishes she had never learned—what she witnessed, for example, in the underground chamber of the mysterious High Lord Akkarin . . . and the knowledge that the Guild is being observed closely by an ancient fearsome enemy.

Still, she dares not ignore the terrifying truths the High Lord would share with her, even though she fears it may be base trickery, a scheme to use her astonishing powers to accomplish his dark aims. For Sonea knows her future is in his hands—and that only in the shadows will she achieve true greatness . . . if she survives.

My thoughts:
How much can I say without spoiling it all? In this book we learn something big about Akkarin, Sonea's master. And something I did not see coming happened. I was all what?! Huh, ok I can deal with this. This is actually pretty good. Yes I went through some emotions here. And the end, that was the one part I did not like. It only made me sad.

Ok I am supposed to say anything? Something big happens...this is really hard. I can't say anything. Oh forget it all. I will try something else instead.

Characters: Sonea is good. I got surprised cos I started to like Akkarin.

Story. Like I said, big things are happening and there is quite the showdown.

Conclusion: I saw that there is another series about Sonea taking part like 20 years after this or something. I do want to read that one too. I'd like to see how Sonea fares :)

Conclusion
Good, light fantasy

Cover
In this one Sonea gets to be on the cover, but she is dressed like some kind of courtesan

Paperback, 531 pages
Published August 31st 2004 by Harper Voyager (first published December 18th 2002)
The Black Magician Trilogy #3
Fantasy
Own

40 comments:

  1. Bulliying is a very sore subject for me, and the topic is something I avoid for that very reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not pretty to read about. i got so MAD. teachers and everyone turning a blind eye

      Delete
  2. I've got the most recent book by Canavan, and I probably going to read it soon, but I've got these on my wishlist too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never read the author. I like the sound of 'light' though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure some would not say it's "light" but it is, I am sure you'd think so too ;)

      Delete
  4. 1) Wow, I didn't expect such issues put in a fantasy novel. lol. I like it.

    2) I love a book that evokes such emotion. I haven't had one in a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo the first book is going to make me mad I can tell! Nothing pisses me off like bullying so I know I'll be shaking this book hoping those bullies will feel my wrath ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they have magic too, and using that magic to bully and abuse. So angry

      Delete
  6. I have a friend who really loves this series. It's on my list but you know how that goes…100's of books - so little time lol

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a trilogy by this author and think I will need to bump them up after reading your reviews. Thank you

    Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided to finish it now, trying to that instead of starting new ones ;)

      Delete
  8. Oh with the cover I wouldn't have thought it would be for me but your review intrigued me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have not read past the first book in this trilogy, though one day I should, since I have her first book in the sequel trilogy. I like her writing, like you said it's good light fantasy.

    ~Mogsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had all 3, so I thought better finish a series for once ;)

      Delete
  10. Gosh I hate bullying books, but as long as they have a good outcome I can read them. Does this one spin it with a positive?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am always shocked at how mean some people can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know :/ Why are some like that? And why others not say no

      Delete
  12. Sounds like a couple of good books. I'm going to have to check out this series. I like that there are some important issues brought out in these books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the first one has some social issues as she is poor and magicians rich

      Delete
  13. Not really my kind of books, but I'm glad you liked them :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I'd like Sonea and would definitely be rooting for her - it's weird that she isn't on the cover! Great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was cool, and yes should so be on the cover!

      Delete
  15. Oh these sound like good fantasy reads when I don't want that heavy world and story line. Cool. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Some heavy/important issues there...

    ReplyDelete
  17. These ones sound good. I added first book to my TBR. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Novice sounds like a tough read.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really should get back to these books! I've only read The Magician's Apprentice and I liked it but somehow I haven't read the others yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided to finish the series this summer :)

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP