Tuesday 8 July 2014

The Captive - Grace Burrowes

He'll never be free...
Captured and tortured by the French, Christian Severn, Duke of Mercia, survives by vowing to take revenge on his tormentors. Before the duke can pursue his version of justice, Gillian, Countess of Greendale, reminds him that his small daughter has suffered much in his absence, and needs her papa desperately.

Until he surrenders his heart...

Gilly endured her difficult marriage by avoiding confrontation and keeping peace at any cost. Christian's devotion to his daughter and his kindness toward Gilly give her hope that she could enjoy a future with him, for surely he of all men shares her loathing for violence in any form. Little does Gilly know, the battle for Christian's heart is only beginning.

My thoughts:
Poor Christian. When you talk about heroes who has suffered, well Christian truly did. He spent months being a captive of the French. Being sadistically tortured and abused. This is a broken hero that comes back to England.

At first I did not think of it, it was first later on in the book that it hit me. Yes Christian is the obvious captive. But so was Gillian. She spent 8 years in a bad marriage. She was as much of a captive as he had been. Just abused in another way. The same goes for Lucy, Christian's daughter who has been silent since her mother died. Another captive of herself.

Gillian is perfect for Christian. Of course she wants to heal him, but mostly she just wants to be there. Be a friend, get him home so Lucy would be ok. She saw his scars and did not shy away. She was used to it all. I liked her for it. She was the calm he needed in the storm. And he also healed her.

Conclusion:
I do like Burrowes books so no wonder I enjoyed this one too. Two broken characters. Moving on in their own ways, facing their fears and falling in love.

Cover
ok

Mass Market Paperback, 439 pages
Published July 1st 2014 by Sourcebooks Casablanca
Captive Hearts #1
Historical romance
For review

32 comments:

  1. I love it. It sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is so my kind of book! I'm a complete sucker for the tortured heroes, so sign me up for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are sure something. I really felt for him

      Delete
  3. I'm not always a fan of the "healing each other" romance trope but when done right, it completely sucks me in. Fantastic review--adding this to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked it here, but yes sometimes it does not work at all

      Delete
  4. I liked this one too. Looking forward to the next book in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh a tortured hero? It's always interesting to discover characters like that. Thanks for the discovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, some are just oh poor me! But this guy was TORTURED. I mean nasty shit

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a nice one, I've heard of this author but never read her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds good. I'll have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds hopeful, I need hopeful reads!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a wonderful story, I love when two people can help each other heal and move on in a more healthy way while falling in love. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds delightful and yes it is book one. I may grab it since I enjoy this author

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the cover is rather sleazy, and I don't think its for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds good - I think the cover is too modern looking

    ReplyDelete
  13. This one sounds good... I'll read it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ooh muscles ;) I want this one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I need to read Burrowes some time. I think I'd like her books too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, come on, everyone has a head on that cover - you should love it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, it's ok, maybe I want a background too.

      Delete
  17. I think I have this on my Kindle. Quite a few people recommended it.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like the author drew the characters nicely. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP