Sunday 7 June 2009

Beltane by Erin O'Riordan


Beltane by Erin O'Riordan

Published: 2009
Pages: 188
Sexy romance

Twin sisters Allie and Zen have always shared everything: including an unconventional upbringing at Pagan Spirits Farms. They even fall in love at the same time. Pagan priestess Allie thinks she’s met the man of her dreams in her buttoned-down lawyer fiancé, Paul Phillip. But is he everything he seems? Zen, a witch gifted with the sixth sense, falls for Orlando. But there’s a catch: Orlando is married to someone else.

As the celebration of Beltane nears, the sisters seem destined to be unlucky in love. But the Goddess moves in mysterious ways, and May Day may turn out to be magic for them after all.


This on took me for a trip, first I disliked Zen and Orlando, then I liked them again. Then I got a bit confused when I figured out what had to happen, and I didn't like one of them again. But then I liked that person again. Lol, yes it went up and down. Though I did like Allie and Paul Phillip all the time through out the book. But that is what a book should do, make you love and hate characters. They are only human after all. And I couldn't see the things that were to happen happen. They just sprung on me (even though I figured out one thing, which I loved in the end). You have to read and figure out what I mean.

There was mostly Zen in this book, so perhaps that is why she stirred the most emotions in me. She is a witch and owns a little store. Her sister Allie on the other hand is a pagan priestess and has just married and wants to start a family. But Zen who can sense what others are feeling knows that something is not that right about Paul Phillip. But what? She can't say and he does seem to adore her sister. So they go off into the sunset. While Zen heads back home and later sees a man in a bar, Orlando Parisi is a hunk, but there is a weddings rind on his finger. Could she really do just that? The Goddess says do no harm and breaking up a marriage is not something that is right. That will cause problems. And this all while Allie is having problems of her own.

And then a little excerpt from their first meeting for a feel of the book.

"No boyfriend. And the closest thing I've got to a kid is Gillian. I'm sure I'll get around to having kids one of these days. I've got time, I'm only twenty-three."
"Please don't take this the wrong way, but you seem older," he said. Zen frowned, so he explained. "I don't mean you look older. I mean you seem more mature. Wiser, maybe."
"I don't know about that," Zen replied. Orlando didn't say anything, so she kissed him. She breathed in the soft floral scent of his aftershave.
Orlando was very still at first. Zen wondered if she'd made a mistake, or if he didn't like the way she kissed. She looked into his eyes, looking for some clue.

But for you who thinks this is a book about adultery, it's not. And everything that happens does so for a reason. Before I saw that I did have a problem with the whole thing, then I liked it, then I disliked it, then I saw the light. I can't say anything more.

We get to follow them in their relationships, the ups and downs. The hardship and yes the sex. Because that there are. Not tasteless or too much, not so that it interferes with the story. But woven in so it makes sense. One scene did make me go oh no, oh really, and I couldn't wait to see how it turned out.

Then there is the whole pagan thing which I of course like, I do have the name Blodeuedd for a reason. And now I got to read how these two girls celebrated Beltane, oh yes, it got wild. And Beltane was the perfect way to set everything right in the book. After that it was a smooth ride to the end.

As for the world, it's ours, nothing strange going on here. Though of course the empathy thing does stand out, that is th only thing, and then just some good old normal magic in the end ;)

received a copy for a review

20 comments:

  1. Hey Sweetie!

    You coming over to my blog today? It's contest day....A contest I made just for YOU! *G*

    Just wondering what you thought of it...Dottie's saying I make hard contest...will you tell me what so hard about this one? There aren't any wrong answers...so how can it be hard?!

    LOL...you girls!

    Cyber Hugs
    Hawk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting book - can't work out whether it is witches set in a normal reality of is it slightly fantasty world?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really good. Thanks for posting the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hawk,
    Oh yes it was hard, fun but hard. Cos we can do almost anything and that opens up the possibilities.

    But hey I like my gal, she looks awesome.

    Scrap girl,
    I found a page where it said paranormal fantasy...which was weird cos there was not the slightest bit of paranormal in it- Ok one bit, but I thought of that like some "magic mushrooms" kind of thing.
    So witches in a real world, no demons or stuff.

    Yvonne,
    Thanks for stopping by

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Hon,

    Nice work on the heroine...Love the colors! ;-)

    Where are the other ones you did? I want to see them too!

    So, did you have fun? *G*

    Hugs big time
    Hawk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hawk,
    Ok, ok, I will post them at the bottom of the sidebar ;) Cos they are awesome haha
    And yes it was fun

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds really good and anytime a book can keep your emotions going back and forth is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dar,
    It sure did, I hated them so once, before it turned. But I book gotta have that. When I feel neutral all the time I just get bored and stop reading

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well this book defintely sounds different! I like books that tug at you emotionally though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Blodeuedd:

    Thank you for taking time to write this great review!

    Beltane does sound unique and very intriguing. :) I'm going to add it to my list but have to beat down the TBR a bit before considering more purchases right now. lol

    I have to say, I LOVE the cover.

    Best Regards
    L

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beltaine brings out the best in people doesn't it? Sounds like an interesting book.
    I tagged you for a meme if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Barbara,
    It sure did, a lot. Never knew what seh would do next.

    Lea,
    Cool cover indeed, and oh yes the TBR pile. Will I ever make it though mine.

    Jenny Girl,
    It sure does, and it was.
    Cool, will come over and have a look at once

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Blodeuedd!

    Great review, sounds like fun...love, hate, and love again. Roller Coast ride, too much fun!

    I think I'll pick this one up too. I love magic and pagans -- after all, you've been on my blog. LOLOL.

    Love your Laser Whiplash btw....lol... she's definitely kick-ass!

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not so sure about the content but the cover is the coolest.

    cjh

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dottie,
    Oh yes a total roller coast ride for sure. Lol, yes I have been on your blog ;)

    Kick ass she is, and i had to give her some fairy wings cos they were so adorable.

    Cj,
    We can't all like the same things :) And yes I do like the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Special thanks to Book Girl for acknowledging us! We tried very hard to make our characters real. That you could love them, hate them, and love them again is accolades to our ears. Thanks again. Love your blog; it's pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Special thanks to Book Girl for acknowledging us! We tried very hard to make our characters real. That you could love them, hate them, and love them again is accolades to our ears. Thanks again. Love your blog; it's pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Erin,
    You sure did great, I had all kinds of emotions and in the end i loved them all again. What a perfect ending.
    Thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOL! Talk about 'dazed and confused'! I'm glad to hear that you came out of it finally. I like this review and I'll look for the book too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lilly,
    Haha, yes some books can make you that. But the more fun when you come out of it

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP