Tuesday 2 June 2009

The Reincarnationist by M.J.Rose


The Reincarnationist by MJ.Rose

"A riveting epic of secrets, history and murder that will challenge the way we think about who we are and who we were"
(back blurb)

Josh Ryder's explodes when he gets caught in the blast of a bomb exploding in Rome. After that nothing is the same for this American photojournalist.

His mind is invaded by memories, but they are not his. They are from a man back in ancient Rome. But he can smell the air, and the longings and feelings have him doubting his sanity. Then there is the intense feeling for a woman called Sabina, and the urge to save her.

He turns to the Phoenix foundation. It's well renowned and it documents the past life experiences in children. He is not their usual subject, but there is something about his experiences. This will lead him to an archaeological dig in Rome where professor Gabriella Chase and professor Rudolfo has found an ancient tomb. A powerful and ancient secret threatens the believes of an entire world.


The tomb found is on of a vestal virgin. And the experiences that Josh is having will explain more of this story. The danger lies in the memory stones that will give the person using them insights in past lifes so that they can change the mistakes they made in past lives. Not something that Christianity would like to hear about, since there are no past lives just the eternal rest of the soul.

Weren't the highest echelons of the Church worried about the magic of the stones? And for good reason. If man discovered that Nirvana was within his reach - if it was in his hands, not in the hands of God- what authority would the Church hold over him?

I have always loved the idea of reincarnation, because sitting on a cloud for eterenity, no. But getting the chance to find your own salvation, yes. So I like that about this books. And I get wondering because it does mention early Christian beliefs of a wandering soul, as with many other religions. Was that true, and believed back then? Or made up? I am intrigued.

Josh Ryder, when I saw the add for the tv-series that is being made then I could picture him. I guess he is likeable, just as Gabriella and Rachel are. Julius and Sabina, yes they are interesting with their secrets. But every passage about them made me ache, because they would die. Which of course is silly of me since we all do. But I feared the worst, and it was evident that the worse would happen to them. Not to mention the passages from those days when Christian soldiers destroyed temples and killed the pagans that they called them, when in truth that would mean all since this was the first days of a new religion. It always makes me sick, why can't all just get along, and believe in whatever they want too?! Yes it made me angry.

There is an intensity to the book, and yes I do like it, but I had that feeling through out the entire book. Maybe I am just a sucker for happy endings, and everything that may not be so makes me ill at ease.

I am confused about this whole book. It was great, and I am sure many will absolutely love it. I thought it was ok, and I am sure I would have liked it more if it hadn't been those feelings that made me so scared for the whole bunch of them. Maybe not my genre.



18 comments:

  1. Very interesting and interging review! Very well done... and very honest! Sounds like this book would be a good mystery book to read. Thanks for the review!!! Wonderful job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to try this one for a while. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought that this was only an okay read as well. The intensity didn't bother me but I did think that the story lagged a bit at times, and I wasn't satisfied with the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I'm not sure if this is a book for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had seen this book several months ago at the grocery store. I almost bought it but put it back. i think I'm glad I did. Not sure if it's my kinda reading. It does sound interesting though.

    Thank you for posting your thoughts :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review. This sounds right up my alley which is good since I have two of her books on my shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice review, can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Cecile,
    Thanks, I do seem to be honest in my reviews. And this book confused me so I didn't know what i felt, but I liked it.

    Toni,
    Give it a try then and see what you think.

    Nicole,
    yes it did drag sometimes didn't it. Maybe that is why it took me so long to finish it.
    And I hated the ending.

    Ladybug,
    All books can't be for everyone, I think I will lend this one to my friend so she can love it. She doesn't mind unhappiness in books.

    Amy C.
    I know, it sounded so interesting, and I wanted to read it. But for me something was lacking for me to give it greatness.

    Dar,
    I am glad it sounds like just the book for you. It might just be :)

    Sadako,
    Have fun, and I hope you'll love it

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds just the type of book for me. I love the idea behind the story and the cover is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Scrap girl,
    Then by all means give it a go :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope to read this one soon. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmmm. Wow, this sounds like an interesting one Blodeuedd. Reincarnation has always been an draw for me in books too. I find it facinating.

    Beth Kery wrote a reincarnation theme into on of the sub-plots of her book "Daring Time". It was really good.

    I love your book Slide. ;)

    Your blog is looking amazing. :)

    L

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have these on my tbr. It's a shame that some of the story line bothered you. Should be compelling but not constantly one emotion, alittle ebb and flow.
    Good review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lea,
    Thanks, yes I managed to make myself a bookslide...but now i just have to put more books in it. I am terribly lazy ;)

    I am very interested in reincarnation so I really enjoyed the theme. And sub plot in Daring Time, really. Now that got me interested.

    Diana, thank you :D

    Jenny girl,
    Maybe I am just a sucker for happiness so i can't read boooks with some darkness. But it was good

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad to read you were honest about the book. I personally didn't like it at all and the ending was just so infuriatingly ridiculous. It's good though that you liked it okay and didn't feel like you wasted your time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lilly,
    I know, the ending made me angry. Not at all what i had hoped for.
    But I did like it, if I had hated it, then I would have been upset

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed this book. It wasn't a great book, though, but entertaining enough. I was more engrossed in the story from the past (Julius and Sabina) than Josh and Gabriella's story in the present day. My review is here. I enjoyed the sequel, The Memorist more.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anna,
    My thoughts exactly, nice book, not great, but very entertaining. I too love the story of Julius and sabina and ached for them

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP