Thursday 25 June 2009

Broken - Kelley Armstrong


Broken by Kelley Armstrong
(the 3rd Elena Michaels Novel, the 6th Women of the Underworld)

Published: 2006
Pages: 440

When half-demon Xavier calls in the favour Elena owes him, it seems easy enough, steal Jack the Ripper's 'From Hell' letter away from a Toronto collector who had himself stolen it from the Ripper evidence boxes. But nothing in the supernatural world is ever as simple as it seems. Elena accidentally triggers a spell placed on the letter, and opens a dimensional portal into Victorian London, releasing zombies, disease, and maybe a notorious serial killer himself.
(blurb from author's site)

This is the 3rd book that has Elena as it's main character, and of Armstrong's Women of the Underworld, Elena is the one I want to read about. I have read one other book, but no, I want my werewolves.

In this one Xavier, a half demon calls her up for a favor she owes him. She is very pregnant, scared for her babies when she transforms, but still, one last little trip and hunt couldn't hurt. Things goes well, until something goes terribly wrong and they have no idea why. Together with the Alpha of the pack, Jeremy, and Clay she starts hunting zombies, and worrying that she has let out jack the Ripper. Help is needed and they call in Nick and Anthony. But things are just getting worse. Zombies, killer rats, and a crazed murderer. Toronto stands helpless.

New to this book is Zoe, a vampire, and I kind of like her. We also meet Jaime (again?) hard to tell since I skipped the 2 books in between. But I do know Jaime since I read her book. The book that made me think I should stick with my werewolves. I guess I wasn't to into her raising the dead.

This book wasn't as good as the first, oh how I loved Bitten, it was my first paranormal and I was smitten. But it was better than the 2nd, Stolen (but that one had a lack of Clay). Cos what these books do need is Clay, big strong, and a something psychotic. Haha, yup everyone says so and he has done things in the past. That shrine in book 1, a man have to be a bit crazy sometimes. Even if he is not the alpha, he is sure an alpha male(wolf). They have great chemistry, and I just love the together. And in this one they are expecting, you have to love that. The big bad wolf is settling down. Not so psycho anymore perhaps. That is sure why i like her books, Elena and Clay.

But honestly, what is up me being harassed by zombies everywhere I turn? Then again zombies are hot..not that way, gross! I mean in right now. They are just in, even if this book came out in 2006. The zombies do play their part, when they are not rotting, falling apart and getting killed. Who needs evil masterminds when there are zombies. And don't get me starting on killer rats, you have to discover those for yourself.

This book has it's fair share of action, and mysteries, and some sweet love between Elena and Clay. The side characters are great, I just love Nick together with them, Zoe is cool, and I do like Jeremy and Jaime, ack the tension.

Now.. now I want to read Frostbitten, getting an early copy of that book, what a dream. Clay and Elena in Alaska, bring it on ;)


15 comments:

  1. I haven't read Armstrong's 'Women of the Underworld' series but I do hear that they're really good especially the first. Like you, it would seem that a lot of people like 'Bitten'. I may have to try this series out. And hot zombies?! This I gotta read to believe. ;)

    Great review and thanks for the recommendation!

    ;) VFG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi VFG,
    Lol, No the zombies are rotting, smelling disgusting things. Sadly not hot at all.

    Do read Bitten, it made me reading and reading until i finished it. I finally got why werewolves could be sexy, and they sure were.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a few Kelly Armstrong books waiting to be read, but I am positive they will be fab.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, lets try this one more time..
    Zombies and killer rats. Wow... killer rats. That is a new one for me. Killer rats! Well, you seemed to really like Bitten, will have to have to give that one a try. I have never read anything by Ms. Armstrong... this will be a first! And of course werewolves are sexy - go alpha male!!! *ROAR*
    Hope you are having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scrap girl,
    I am sure they will, she is cool, i am just too obsessed with Clay ;)

    Cecile,
    Oh yes those rats were nasty buggers. I wouldn't want to come across them. Worse than the zombies.
    Read Bitten is all i say, this one scene in the forest really made me..mmm you'll see ;)
    Big strong alphas all the way, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. B,

    When this series first came out I would run right out and purchase the book - even when they started being released in hard back. But then....Personal Demon was a let down of sorts and I just forgot all about the next release - Living with the Dead. I think it's because they are about Hope and she isn't that interesting to me.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have your back, I'm very good at killing zombies :) Nice review B!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this series. Clay and Elena are my favorite characters out of this series. Can't wait to get my hands on Frostbitten.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read this author yet, but I want to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michelle,
    Same with me, I read the first two, and then a friend had bought Jaimes novel (I don't think she knew what it way, but I sure did ;) So read it, but nope not as a big a connection. I am a Clay and Elena fan so those are the books I wanna read.

    Jenny,
    Thanks, just take care of those zombies, I am crying scared in the corner here, lol.

    Anna,
    I know, I adore them. I do get why Nick always snuggles in between them haha.
    I really need to read Frostbitten now, but sighs, it's nto out! The horror.

    Yvonne,
    She is pretty cool, and I became interested in reading paranormal books thanks to her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Blodeuedd!

    You're right, right now zombies are a hot property. Any book that has zombies is a must read on a lot of list.

    I've read several of Ms. Armstrong's book, I can say I enjoy the demons and chaos that they cause immensely!

    I glad to see that this book doesn't fail as well. I need to pick up the rest of this series, and ARC of the next book would be fantastic!

    Thanks for the great review!

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Dottie,
    They sure are, and i can't figure out why. Luckily I haven't read a book with a hot zombie hero yet. that just wouldn't be for me.

    Demons and chaos, fun indeed, but they haven't been around much in those I have read. I guess I should give the other books a try too, lol.

    Oh an ARC would be heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally sounds like a paranormal series that I would enjoy. I have The Summoning upstairs waiting to be read...sounds like she's a good writer!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need to get rockin' on the Women of the Underworld series, I've only read Bitten so far. I.Am.Way.Behind.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  15. Staci,
    You have her YA series, i have heard they are good. Perhaps if you like them you'll check out Bitten :)

    Donna,
    Bitten is lovely, lol, I am behind too, sue i have read 4 but a lot more to go

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP