Saturday 4 September 2010

Review: Peter and Max - Bill Willingham

                                                   A Fables Novel
Genre: Fairytale/alternate world/this world
Pages: 400
Published: 2009

A new stand-alone FABLES NOVEL from award-winning and wildly acclaimed author, Bill Willingham.


This story stars Peter Piper and his incorrigible brother Max in a tale about jealousy, betrayal and revenge. Set in two distinct time periods, prepare to travel back to medieval times and learn the tragic back-story of the Piper family, a medieval-era family of traveling minstrels. Then, jump into the present to follow a tale of espionage as Peter Piper slowly hunts down his evil brother for a heinous crime, pitting Peter's talents as a master thief against Max's dark magical powers.

Based on the long-running and award-winning comic book series FABLES, PETER AND MAX is its own tale. Readers don't have to be familiar with the comics to fully enjoy and understand this book.

I actually borrowed this one before I read my first Fables graphic Novel. And after reading this book I sure want to read those graphic novels. Because the world is wonderful.

This is then a novel based on the graphic novels. It is a standalone and it is about Peter and Max. The book takes place in this world, because the Fables (all those famous fairytale stories we know and love) fled to this world to get away from the war. Here they settled in new York. Peter is happy with this wife, but then he learns that Max is back. His evil brother. The book deals with his journey to find Max, and flashbacks to how Peter grew up in fableland, and and why his brother went crazy. It also has some lovely illustrations here and there.

I have only read one Fables graphic novel, and that one dealt with things before they came to New York, but I had no trouble with this book since it is about Peter's life, and we also meet the famous Pied Piper of Hameln.

I just love these stories, they are so much fun, and yes dark. The reason why we have fairytales is cos these Fables came to our world and magic kind of rub off and stories spread, not the real ones though. The story is cool, and I read and read, and still wanted more.

The world they come from is just like ours but with talking animals, evil orcs, or was it ogers, and magic. A fun novel, and you sure do not know what is gonna happen next.

Blodeuedd's Corver Corner. Fitting
Reason for reading: Library
Final thoughts: I really must read those graphic novels


19 comments:

  1. Great review! I'll be keeping an eye out for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fairytales and they are usually very dark beneath the surface. I'll have to see if this book is available here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now this, I think, is a very original idea and I would love to read it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dont know whether I like fairytales or not (have to think on that one) but this review is very good. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharyla
    Thanks :=D Nice to see you here

    cat
    So true, like the original Cinderella with those cut off toes, yes dark. But good

    Chris
    Isn't it

    Irena
    I know, I so want those graphic novels so I can have more, or perhaps he will write another novel.

    Mystica
    Thanks, well this is certainly not your average fairytale

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl!

    You're just hitting my fancy with your choice of books of late!

    Awesome review!

    Hugs
    Hawk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hawk
    Hihi, I have found some awesome books lately :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one sounds really good, I hadn't heard of these books before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read a few graphic novels because I buy them for my sons. But, I've never found a novel written from the graphics, and it sounds fun and interesting. I'll have to check it out! Have you read Cap o' Rushes? Cinderella type story. I love Fables (I actually took a children's lit class in college, it was so much fun!)

    Thanks B!

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carrie
    I really enjoyed it, and the illustrations here and there were great

    Dottie
    Nope, have not heard about that one. But then I am such a newbie, I truly do not know anything, well except that these fables sound great.
    I always did love fables too

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds interesting! Definitely different.
    Great review.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've only read one of the Fables, too, but really enjoyed it. I need to read more Willingham. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love reading fairytales and fables and think there is more to them. I'm adding this one to the tbr. Thanks Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok - after reading your review - I will add to my list..

    I know you recommended this to me last week...

    Is it better to read the novel first, just in case I come upon the graphic novel before...

    E.H>

    ReplyDelete
  15. Carol,
    My thoughts exactly, more fables please

    Jenny
    Yay, good, he is really good, and the stories, nice and dark

    EH
    Hm, well the novel takes place in the middle of the graphics. Half of it that is, and the other half before the graphics. So I can't really say, but I read it before

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the heads up hon...

    I have already placed a request for this book at the library...

    I might just request the graphic novel while I am at it...

    E.H>

    ReplyDelete
  17. EH
    Yay, I hope you like it, so weird, great, and hihi pictures! ;)
    My library only has fables 8 and 9, how unfair, but a friend is thinking of buying them (she works at the bookstore and have managed to get them to buy more graphic novels, nicely done)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP