Tuesday 7 September 2010

Review: Songs for A Teenage Nomad - Kim Culbertson

..
Genre: YA, Fiction
Pages: 256
Published: September 7th 2010 Sourcebooks Fire

After living in twelve places in eight years with her drifting mother, fourteen year old Calle Smith finds herself in Andreas Bay, California, at the start of ninth grade. Fearful of putting down roots anywhere, but armed with her song journal, she moves to her own soundtrack through a world that bounces her between the school drama crowd, a mysterious loner, and an unlikely boy with a secret. But Calle has her own secrets. The troubling truth she uncovers about the father she thought abandoned her is the catalyst that forces Calle to face the toughest choice of her young life.


There were something about this book. How to put my finger on it, it was just good.

It's the story of Calle, a girl who truly is a teenage nomad. Her mum finds a guy, lives with him, or marries him, is happy, but then leaves. Calle goes from school to school, and the only thing constant is her journal. There she writes down memories when she hears different songs. Now she is at a new school, she actually gets friends, she falls for a boy, and she longs to stay. Then there is the mystery concerning her father, and why her mum keeps on running.

First I must say that I found the name a bit funny, since here it's a boys name, and I kept thinking of my second cousin. Anyway...

Calle is a great girl, she loves her mum, even if they move all the time. She is really creative, and smart. She falls for a guy, who I can't make up my mind about at first. But then he also has secrets.

What I also like is that it's not too much drama, I mean there is drama, a lot of serious stuff, but not those cliché YA dramas, and not drinking or fooling around either. She is just a normal teenager living at the fringes of High School. But there is one mean girl though, isn't there always one.

This books also deals with some big secrets, and slowly she finds out about her dad, her mum, and what is going on with that boy she likes. And in the end I got some tears in my eyes, because it was lovely, happy, and sad too.

A great YA book, for everyone, and I really enjoyed her creative side. It made me think what songs I associate for things that have happened.

Blodeuedd's Cover Corner: I like it.
Reason for reading: From Sourcebooks.
Final thoughts: A great book for adults and teenagers.


18 comments:

  1. Ooh I do like the sound of this one. It reminds me of the film 'Mermaids' by Cher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vivienne,
    I remember that one, well ok sort of. Enough to see your point, not enough to see how the movie ended, lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, this could have been my life...we moved every 3 to 5 years - my Dad's job kept us roaming from country to country, so I can relate to this story...I'll have to buy this one and visit memory lane through another's eyes and see how it compares.

    I'm sure this author's story is more interesting than my true life of travel. LOL

    Hawk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! Sounds like a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hawk
    So much moving, I don't think I could have done it. Making new friends and all. But yes since you have experience then you should see how she deals with it all.

    Yvonne
    Thanks, it was :)

    Thanks Nana

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to recommend this one to my teen stepdaughter. Based on your review I think she would really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. DC
    Do recommend it, it was such a good book

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw..this one sounds beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the sound of this one and great review, B!

    I'm adding it to my wishlist :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mandi
    It was, so recommended for everyone

    Ladybug
    I do think you would enjoy this one

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm just starting to really get into YA and this one sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like good YA, especially if it amde you tear up.
    Great review.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Naida
    It did, the feelings kind of boiled over for me at the end. happy and sad. Good ending.

    Amused
    Same for me, I didn't even read much YA when I was YA, but some now are just good

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooo sounds good. I like your point about clichés :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Juju
    Thanks :) I do think that was one of the reasons why I enjoyed it so much

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been hearing some really good things about this book. It think I'll have to read this one, even if it is YA. By the way, I love your blog design. The image on the top is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Simcha
    Thanks, I love pre-raphaelite art, and just have to have a header by an artist like that. This is by Waterhouse.
    As for the book, it was good, not at all drama or angsty YA

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP