Friday 24 September 2010

Review: House of Night 3, 4 - PC Cast

The House of Night series by PC and Kristin Cast

 Book 3 Chosen

Genre: Paranormal romance, YA
Pages: 307
Published: 2008

Her best friend, Stevie Rae, is undead and struggling to maintain a grip on her humanity. Zoey doesn’t have a clue how to help her, but she does know that anything she and Stevie Rae discover must be kept secret from everyone else at the House of Night, where trust has become a rare commodity.  Speaking of rare: Zoey finds herself in the very unexpected and rare position of having three boyfriends. Mix a little bloodlust into the equation and the situation has the potential to spell social disaster.  Just when it seems things couldn’t get any tougher, vampyres start turning up dead. Really dead. It looks like the People of Faith, and Zoey’s horrid step-father in particular, are tired of living side-by-side with vampyres.  But, as Zoey and her friends so often find out, how things appear rarely reflects the truth…

My third House of Night books, and I find myself starting to enjoy them. They are just so so very YA. The keep on swearing, and talking about kissing boys.

In this one Zoey has problems with her 3 boyfriends. Eric all sweet, Loren who tempts her, and Heath, whose blood she sure likes. But then there is the problem with her weird Zombievampire friend, and the fact that Neferet is not all she says she is.

The twins, I have kind of grown tired of them, and always hearing the look alike. Zoey, must she always talk about what a nerd she is, and that she is a slut, when she isn't. Who I did like was Aphrodite. I get her now.

Oh and since I read a translation, did her grandmother really say shitmonkey?! Cos was it a new word, or did they just translate it to something that has never been used. "Edit: thanks to Msbookjunkie I know she said turdmonkey, lol"

Anyway, readers who like YA paranormal will enjoy this one. It has all the ingredients. And I find myself ..amused.



Untamed, book 4

Pages: 338
Published: 2008

Life sucks when your friends are pissed at you. Just ask Zoey Redbird – she’s become an expert on suckiness. In one week she has gone from having three boyfriends to having none, and from having a close group of friends who trusted and supported her, to being an outcast. Speaking of friends, the only two Zoey has left are undead and unMarked. And Neferet has declared war on humans, which Zoey knows in her heart is wrong. But will anyone listen to her?  Zoey's adventures at vampyre finishing school take a wild and dangerous turn as loyalties are tested, shocking true intentions come to light, and an ancient evil is awakened.


Ok ok, I am getting more amused. But still these books are just too YA for me. It's in the way the people act, so very YA, there is namedropping and they are just trying to be so hip, and know what kids are about. I didn't really care for that even when I was younger. There is a reason why I read harlequin when I was 10.

Anyway in this one she has lost her boyfriends, Neferet is evil and wants to start a war. Her friends hate her, and something evil is lurking around.

I would love to read an English version to see if they are the same, cos the translation, it feels like they try to much.

But I find myself more interested, and much more than with book 1. And the way this one ended, I need book 5. I will not stop reading. Some I only read cos I kind of want to know. But with this one, I am starting to like it. Especially Aphrodite, she has changed. And with the Cherokee myths in this one, what can I say I enjoyed it. 

But, this is the big one, please stop explaining every freaking time that the twins are not twins and blah blah blah.

Blodeuedd's Cover Corner: I am not liking them
Reason for reading: Library
Final thoughts: They keep getting better.


17 comments:

  1. This series was really my huge disappointment - in my opinion it is going to the dogs. The fourth part wasn't that bad. Here you can find my review of the fifth installment

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reviews...I wish I'd started these, but I never seem to find the time or energy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm glad to hear that the later books in the series are better than the first. i read about 50 pgs of the first and quit...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't get through Marked. I have the series until Tempted but it is in the back burner of the TBR mountain. It does get better, does it? Might pick Mark up again....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ana
    The first 2 books was disappo8inting to me, then I started, not liking, but sort of being able to reading them. They are not good yet, but, at least I read.

    Melissa
    Time is the word, I didn't really have time either ;) But then I am a bookholic so borrowed them anyway lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carrie
    Yikes, perhaps the translation is good then, or let me say it is just like the English version, nothing to cheer about

    Cherry
    Oh, I would not say better, it's more that I tolerate the books more..yeah

    Chris
    Too YA, sigh, I didn't like to YA ten years ago when I was YA, so big big no no

    ReplyDelete
  7. This does sound like a good series.
    Great review. The whole twins things might annoy me a little too.

    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your reviews are excellent and always bring a smile to my face. All the girls at my school tell me I just have to read this series...not sure if I will or not but I enjoyed reading your take on them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read the first one felt meh. Glad you like them though, because I know you like your YA. Love the different covers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you're brave, lol. I've read only the first book and hated it. I guess if I was 11 or so I'd like these...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Naida
    In every book they make a big deal out of it, but yes I do know by know that they are not twins for real

    Staci
    I am glad they are enjoying them, sometimes I am so not the target audience..not even when i was the target audience ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jenny
    The first one was so meh for me too, but I must be a sucker for punishment..or I just want to finish a series

    Elysium
    Lol, I certainly didn't like the first two. But I just stick to it, and hope they will get better. At least they are a 1000 time better than twilight

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful reviews :) I cannot say that I'm crazy about this series, I have kind of a love hate relationship with it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ladybug
    I think we might be on the same page then

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love these books! I've read the entire series twice but I was so surprised to find that I couldn't really get into Burned and I actually put it aside before I even got to chapter 3. I did buy it to go with the rest of the collection so maybe I'll get around to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Laytink,
    How strange, perhaps you will just brave it trough one day. I wont give up, they are..ok

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP