Tuesday 15 March 2011

Review: Only Mr Darcy Will do - Kara Louise

In this fresh and original retelling of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, Mrs. Bennet's greatest fear comes to pass-Longbourn is entailed to Mr. Collins. Elizabeth finds work as a governess in London, widening the social divide between her and Mr. Darcy and making it more difficult than ever for them to find their way to each other...

My thoughts:
What put this JA variation apart then? Let me tell you. As always we have Mr Darcy and Lizzy. But in this one her father passed away and they had to move out and now Lizzy is a governess. Her mum and siblings live in Meryton, but Jane lives in London at the Gardiner's. Enter Mr Darcy, and now Lizzy is even lower in society's eyes.

The drama in this book is all thanks to Rosalyn. Lizzy works for the Willstone family and Rosalyn is the sister of the Mrs Willstone. At first I liked Rosalyn, she confesses to having a crush on Mr Darcy and who could blame her. But then I read a bit more and I go all "Back down woman!" Mr Darcy belongs to Lizzy. Rosalyn assumes too much, wants too much and is the kind of woman who is all wrong for Darcy. It's silly, but yes it had me fearing that the HEA I wanted would go wrong somehow.

It was a variation that got better and better. I wanted them together as always, and I love watching them fall in love for real. It was a good what if story.

Conclusion:
How many can I read? The answer is a lot, because each book has some twist to the story. And the love that grows between Lizzy and Darcy always triumphs.

Ps. And Wickham is a scoundrel as always.

Rating:
Enjoyed it

Cover:
Ok

Reason for reading:
I love JA variations


Pages: 400
Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
Release date: March 1st 2011

29 comments:

  1. I haven't read any re-tellings of Pride and Prejudice. I need to get my hands on this - I can't get enough of Mr Darcy :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked this - it sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love JA and her real stories but I haven't read any of these fun spin-offs her fans have created. I did finally pick on up at the used bookstore in town so I will be reading that as soon as I can! I can't wait to check more of them out thanks to all your wonderful reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, great twist, I agree! I would love to read this one myself. I'd love to read about Darcy and Lizzie overcoming SUCH an obstacle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only variant I've read is Me and Mr Darcy, which was a contemporary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a good variation. glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the title of this one. Thanks for review.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love re-tellings of P&P.Nice review and thanks for the highlights!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Misha
    None at all!? you have to change that, cos they are the best

    @Mary
    It was fun, and yes I am a sucker for stories like this

    @Deanna
    Which one did you pick up? I hope you enjoy it

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Irena
    I can't get enough of them and I am sure glad to have found this genre in its own

    @Chris
    Any JA variation is good :)

    @Darlene
    I sure did :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Juju
    It was :D

    Brand
    It sure is the perfect title, and it ring so true

    Darlyn
    They are so much fun, I have read the story in so many different ways by now

    ReplyDelete
  12. Since it sounds like you enjoyed this one so much I better check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think Austen variations are fun too. but you got something wrong... Mr Darcy is MINE! hehehe

    And I don't know how you feel but I think scoundrel is such a sexy word.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love pride and prejudice, and I will never ever read a spin off. I don't want the story itself ruined in my head. I always wonder, why that author can't come up with a story herself, instead of butchering this great one.
    So on, even though I like your review, I won't be reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds really sweet! I'm a big fan of Mr. Darcy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't think I'll get tired of P&P adaptations either and love how Elizabeth and Darcy always find their way to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This one sounds like a fun variation. Hm... I might have to pick this one up! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so very excited to get to my copy of this one now!! I love the twists the author introduced. I wonder if I will get tired of these variations too...probably not!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would love to read this variation. Sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the review. I haven't heard of this.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  21. sounds like i would be really mad at rosalyn!! this one looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've never read JA... glad you enjoyed this though =D

    ReplyDelete
  23. My mother loves the Jane Austen spin-offs - I'll have to tell her about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Amused
    I enjoyed it, it got better and better until I just did not want to stop reading

    @Missie
    Lol, well it is s sexy word, scoundrel :) I should use another word for Wickham, cos he does not deserve the word

    @Aurian
    I do understand where you are coming from. I like her works, but I love how the story can be changed and continued

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Naida
    he is the best! :D

    @Jenny
    I sure hope I will not get tired because they are lovely to read

    @Melissa
    It was fun, and they were as lovely as always

    @Staci
    I hope you enjoy it! I can't wait for your thoughts on it

    ReplyDelete
  26. @Mystica
    They are so fun, I hope you get to read one

    Thanks Ann.
    It was a great book

    @Carrie
    I liked her, then I wanted to go all medieval on her. Lol

    @Larissa
    I have only read 2 of her actual novels ;)

    @Bermuda
    I am sure she would :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just noticed these comments - had posted above with the comments with the interview. I couldn't believe how many were here. Thanks so much for the review! I really appreciate it! And thank you all for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm taking this book with me to the park this weekend. Sounds like a great variation. I can't get enough of these books, and you're right, there's a little something different in each of them.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP