Thursday 10 October 2013

Review: Steampunk Darcy - Monika Fairview

William Darcy is obsessed with his ancestors. So much so that he intends to rebuild Pemberley (destroyed during the Uprising) stone by stone, and he wants to employ reconstruction expert Seraphene Grant to help him.

Or does he? Seraphene wasn’t born yesterday. She can smell a rat, particularly when it stinks all the way up to her airship. She knows Darcy is hiding something. But with the Authorities after her and her other options dwindling by the moment, the temptation of genuine English tea and a gorgeous Steampunk gentleman are very difficult to resist.

But what if Darcy’s mystery job courts nothing but trouble? What if Darcy is harboring a secret to kill for? When kiss comes to shove, will Darcy’s secret destroy Seraphene, or will it be her salvation?

Join us on a romantic adventure like no other in this whimsical Pride and Prejudice-inspired tribute, featuring Wickham, Georgiana, dirigibles, funky fish, and swash-buckling pirates.

My thoughts:
Mr Darcy and Lizzy were real, and long long after they have died another Mr Darcy is quite obsessed with them. Which brings is to our story, Mr Darcy is called the Boss and has quite the empire in Boston. The world went to hell and from the ashes a new world began. A world that is steampunk.

Darcy wants to ...well spy on his ancestors, and he wants Seraphene to help. But this is a PP variation so she does not like him. Though I must say he was much better than old Darcy. This Darcy was nerdy and lost in himself. I get that. But Seraphene was a good Lizzy. She liked where she came from, she was firm and stood up for herself.

There is also a really spoiled and teen Georgiana, a Wickham you must discover for yourself and a new brother for Darcy, Richard which I guess must be colonel Fitzwilliam. Very sad cos he is an idiot. There are other things too as he has named most things after places and people in PP.

It's quite the adventure, from swimming in icky rivers, flying a barouche and meeting pirates. I do like a strange world and I would really like to know more about the Uprising and the bad days. She should totally write about those days too, it would be a good dystopia.

Conclusion:
An interesting take on Pride and Prejudice.

Paperback, 338 pages
Published September 12th 2013
Steampunk romance / Pride and prejudice variation
For review

33 comments:

  1. Doesn't sound like on I want to read. I enjoy Steampunk, but I tend to shy away from P&P remakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you could always just read it as steampunk cos the PP remake was not always clear

      Delete
  2. I nice, I didn't know there was a steampunk version, it's fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your review, Blodeuedd. I like your perspective on the novel. I too think it can be read without the P&P connection. I'm glad you suggested the dystopia because I'm already planning the prequel !! [great minds think alike?]

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds interesting Bloedeudd. Is it steampunk week here on the blog? I am loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this one the other day and thought of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That kind of looks like Sinead O'connor on the cover. A P&P steampunk, now I have seen it all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read any steampunk but this sounds really good - probably because of the P&P connection :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That cover's really cheap looking, alas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool concept...even though I don't like steampunk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's curious. Steampunk take on P&P, might have to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this is possibly one of the most unique takes on P&P I've ever seen. Sounds like it worked, and I like that this Darcy is more likable and nerdy than original Darcy. You are killing my TBR pile this week! Every book you've reviewed I now want to read. :-) Thanks for putting these on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been quite the steampunk week ;)
      And yes I enjoyed the new take, hey I love all new takes but still ;)

      Also who can resist a nerdy Darcy

      Delete
  12. This sounds like a fun one, thanks for the review B.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hadn't heard of this one. Ill have to give this one a go sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This doesn't sound like any P&P variation I've read before, so I'm going to have to get my hands on a copy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can promise you that it will be different

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP