Sunday 2 March 2014

Audio Sunday: How to train your dragon + Bloodring

Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III is a truly extraordinary Viking hero known throughout Vikingdom as "the Dragon Whisperer" ... but it wasn't always so. Travel back to the days when the mighty warrior was just a boy, the quiet and thoughtful son of the Chief of the Hairy Hooligans. Can Hiccup capture a dragon and train it without being torn limb from limb? Join the adventure as the small boy finds a better way to train his dragon and becomes a hero!

My thoughts:
Not much to say really. I listened to the audio and it was nothing like the movie...well they were vikings and there were dragons. 

David Tennant narrated the book and I did enjoy listening to his voice, but then who wouldn't? ;) He was the sole reason for me listening.

The story itself was also fun as Hiccup tried to train his whiny dragons and then something BIG happens, and then something BIGGER. So a nice world all in all.

Oh and it was like 3,5 hours long, awesome.

cover
eh

Audiocd, 208 pages
Published February 12th 2004 by Hodder Children's Books (first published 2003)
How to Train Your Dragon #1
MG / fantasy

No one thought the apocalypse would be like this. The world didn't end. And the appearance of seraphs heralded three plagues and a devastating war between the forces of good and evil. More than a hundred years later, the earth has plunged into an ice age, and seraphs and demons fight a never-ending battle while religious strife rages among the surviving humans.

Thorn St. Croix is no ordinary neomage. All the others of her kind, mages who can twist leftover creation energy to their will, were gathered together into Enclaves long ago. There, they live in luxurious confinement, isolated from humans and exploited for their magic. When Thorn's powers nearly drive her insane, she escapes - and lives as a fugitive, disguised as a human, channeling her gifts for war into stone-magery and the pacific tasks of jewelry making. But when Thaddeus Bartholomew, a dangerously attractive policeman, shows up on her doorstep and accuses her of kidnapping her ex-husband, she retrieves her weapons and risks revealing her identity to find him. And for Thorn, the punishment for revelation is death....

My thoughts:
I am torn over this one. It was good, but audio...it worked but if I did something else for a second then I got confused. I am sure I missed a ton of things in this book.

But the premise was so cool. Angels came down, killed humans and destroyed shit. Then suddenly they fought alongside humans cos evil spawns came forth. But the cool thing was, were they really angels, or aliens? Ohhh. 

What was left was a post apocalyptic world in an ice age. So the world was truly good.

Thorn, the heroine is a neo mage...would have wanted more stuff there. Anyway, she always seemed to be in heat. People showed up, ugh this is why I need short audios! I know 12 is not long, but too long for me.

I would rather read the next book than listen.

Cover
meh

Audio, 12ish
Published November 7th 2006 by Roc Fantasy
Rogue Mage #1
Post apocalyptic /urban fantasy /sci-fi

28 comments:

  1. A lot of people keep saying that the movie is better than the books (How to Train Your Dragon). I love that movie, and I just never got around to reading the books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the movie better cos well the dragon was just so whiny here

      Delete
  2. I think it would be worth it just to listen to David Tennant for hours :) I've also read the Blood Mage trilogy, and it was just okay for me. It's been a while, but I think it was one of those series that started out strongly and then fizzled. I can't remember--I'm interested in your thoughts if you finish the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I thought ;) Awwww and with his true accent.

      Hm, pooh. Honestly I want to know what happens, I just do not want to buy a book. And no library in Finland has book 2

      Delete
  3. Yeah I would listen to this just to have David read to me..not gonna lie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I had known Tennant narrated a book, I'd have gone out to buy it ASAP. Basically, that's what I just did having found that out, now. I'm going to enjoy snuggling up to his voice for sure! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL ;)
      The library has all the rest too, it was just such a pain to convert them

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed the movie, but haven't thought that it was on audio

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a nice short listen at three hours. If you have trouble with a 12 hour book, then you couldn't listen to the monster I just listened to though I would highly recommend it. 11-22-6- on audio was amazeballs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! Longest was 14 hours and I felt that it was looooong, I tried a 18 hour one but luckily I gave up

      Delete
  7. I'm finding I have a hard time concentrating on audios lately, but I keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am going through my first audio book right now, AND the library has the How to Train your Dragon series. So I may have to try it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a go, it was ok and short, so short

      Delete
  9. Eh... sorry to hear How to Train Your Dragon was only okay. I also love the movie, and they are making another one, did you hear? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have issues with audio books...for some reason they always make the books just eh for me. David Tennant would be worth listening to though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know the feeling, with some I feel I would have liked them even more in print

      Delete
  11. I need to try an audiobook!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do have the Faith Hunter series on my shelves B, I will have to read it soon so you can find out if you want more or not :) But I do love her Jane Yellowrock series, and you don't, so, well, perhaps we don't share a taste in her books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes read them soon and tell me! The thing is I tried that one in audio too and it just did not work...so I am unsure

      Delete
  13. Ooh I love David Tennant! I totally have to listen to this now. And yay for short and sweet. The second book sounds cool too, but 12 hours is a lot for me to commit to, even with it on high speed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hihi, do it :D I know, it feels long, I like 8, 8 is good

      Delete
  14. Aww I want. I loved the How to Train Your Dragon movie and a nice quick audio sounds good to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm iffie on audiobooks. It depends on the book, length, and the voice.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP