Friday 21 March 2014

Written in red - Anne Bishop

In a thrilling new fantasy series, enter a world inhabited by the Others, unearthly entities--vampires and shape-shifters among them--who rule the Earth and whose prey are humans. 

As a "cassandra sangue," or blood prophet, Meg Corbyn can see the future when her skin is cut--a gift that feels more like a curse. Meg's Controller keeps her enslaved so he can have full access to her visions. But when she escapes, the only safe place Meg can hide is at the Lakeside Courtyard--a business district operated by the Others. 

Shape-shifter Simon Wolfgard is reluctant to hire the stranger who inquires about the Human Liaison job. First, he senses she's keeping a secret, and second, she doesn't smell like human prey. Yet a stronger instinct propels him to give Meg the job. And when he learns the truth about Meg and that she's wanted by the government, he'll have to decide if she's worth the fight between humans and the Others that will surely follow.

My thoughts:
I so wanted to love this book like everyone else did, but, well it was good, I really enjoyed it but I did not love it. You know going all OMG OMG about it. Now, I just enjoyed it, and was glad to have read it.

The world was amazing. Well done there. Though if I were the Others I would not have let the meat spread so much. Less spreading, more eating. But it was really cool and I loved the quote about what happened to the dinosaurs, the others did it. Haha.

I think if I have to point out a flaw that might have made me like instead of really like is Meg. Why does everyone love her? Come on! I know she does not smell like prey but she is still meat. You guys are supposed to be big and scary monsters, but as I read out I just so fluffy dogs and silly crows. I know they can bury a town, but they all became too fluffy, she made them too fluffy and she felt like a Mary Sue. I want to be scared, instead I got the impression that everyone will end up friends with the meat. No! You are supposed to eat the meat, not play with it..ok play with it for a while and then eat it.

Conclusion:
But hey the world was fascinated, and sure I did like how they all liked and wanted to protect her. It just lessened the story a bit. The danger was taken away.

Cover
Ok

ebook, 448 pages
Published March 5th 2013 by Penguin Group (USA)
The Others #1
urban fantasy romance
Own

53 comments:

  1. I'm contemplating it. I also heard everyone's awesome reviews, but I tried the audio sample and it didn't click for me. :( So this one is a maybe on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think that audio for this one would be tricky

      Delete
  2. Interesting to see a differing opinion on this one! I've read nothing but positive things, so it was fun to read a review that had a few issues:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand how people love it, but she was just soooo Mary Sue

      Delete
  3. Yeah...I have a list of books that everyone loves, but I either just like it or don't. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it, but it was sure not love like with everyone else

      Delete
  4. OMG! You are too bloodthirsty!! LOL
    I loved this one and loved second one. Hopefully you will like Murder of Crows a bit more than this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, but they were like that and then got all fluffy, no! EAT HER

      Delete
  5. Eh, Mary Sue characters tend to make me shy away from books...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have my reviews going up next week and I loved this one. I think the Others all fell in love with Meg because she was nice to them. I thought the world building was outstanding. I am listening to book two right now. Sorry this wasnt a better read for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good, I just wished I had loved it, everyone else loves it :/ I just liked it

      Delete
  7. I still want to read this. I didn't realize there might be a scary element to it too, I wonder what I'll think of it!

    ~Mogsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well not OMG SCARY!!! But "scary" as they are not nice shifters

      Delete
  8. LOL! Poor meat... I mean Meg. ;) I can't wait to read this one, but I'll be more mindful of the hype. To me... all the big scary hairy dogs would be sweeties anyway... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! And to me all big cats are meant to be hugged

      Delete
  9. Everyone is reading this and loving it, I need to bandwagon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you would enjoy it, good but for me with a few eh things

      Delete
  10. I was and am and OMGer. I loved this book so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love good world building too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I gave this book 5++ stars because I absolutely LOVE this series, but I can understand your point of view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just bugged me the more I thought of it

      Delete
  13. Still sounds enjoyable even if it was never really explained why Meg was so appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. everyone just loved her for no reason at all

      Delete
  14. YEP! I thought the world-building was incredible as were the secondaries (especially as a group by animal), but something was missing that kept me from 5 starring it . . . I don't know if it was Meg or something else, but whatever it was . . . it didn't completely work for me either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did an awesome job there, I love a good world. And I do not know, I van't blame it all on them turning fluffy and loving Meg who never really did anything. There was something else missing too, something pushing me over to really liking it

      Delete
  15. Yeah have seen this one all over the place. I want to try her but nervous the same will happen and I'll just like it not LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hahaha, "play with meat and then eat it!" Great review, Linda! I'm one of the few who hasn't read this one yet, so I'm reserving my judgement as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you would love it like the rest :)

      Delete
  17. I think there's more to Meg (& it's touched on a bit more in the sequel) to explain their response. And that was one of the aspects I liked - having The Others all awkward with something they're used to eating lol And they stayed animalistic with everything else so I was ok with it.

    Sorry it didn't work for you :-( I hate when I'm disappointed by something everyone else loves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just happened so fast for me, took away the brutality that was them.

      But I did like it, just not love it

      Delete
  18. I'm sorry you didn't love this one, but I'm glad you did like it. Maybe the sequel will impress more? I certainly hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I need to get into this series. Everyone has something positive to say. Side note on the cover: If I get a job that allows it, I want to do that to my hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I could pull it off at work, would be cool

      Delete
  20. I am one of the ones that loved this book. A big part of that love is because I feel as though I was all urban fantasied out but this showed me that if it was done well I was still happy to read vampires etc.

    Can't wait to read the second in the series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like that fact cos it was so new, UF is UF but this was...something else :D

      Delete
  21. Yeah don't let the meat spread out so much! Keep them contained so they are easier to pick off when they get over populated! But I think they really are spread out in small clusters and the bulk of the country still belongs to the others. Glad you enjoyed even if you didn't love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still..eat them all ;) mouwahahaha. Considering how much trouble the meat are

      Delete
  22. Haven't even heard of it, let alone read it but it sounds pretty cool. I like a bloodthirsty read HA

    ReplyDelete
  23. thanks for the review! I have heard nothing but how awesome this series is, so it's nice to get an opinion that is slightly different! I have it on my radar, but I haven't picked it up yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only saw awesome things too so I guess that is why i was so surprised

      Delete
  24. I am very sorry you did not love it like I did Blodeuedd. But they did eat people, the intruders, and Tess wow, she is something unique and I want to know more about her.
    Will you read book 2?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well some, but they just got pushed around too and it made them feel a bit weak.

      And sure I'd read more

      Delete
  25. I want to try this series...one day. To many books at this time to get it, but does sound very good. I like the world sounding here. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP