Tuesday 25 March 2014

Wolfhound Century - Peter Higgins

Investigator Vissarion Lom has been summoned to the capital in order to catch a terrorist --- and ordered to report directly to the head of the secret police. A totalitarian state, worn down by an endless war, must be seen to crush home-grown terrorism with an iron fist. But Lom discovers Mirgorod to be more corrupted than he imagined: a murky world of secret police and revolutionaries, cabaret clubs and doomed artists. Lom has been chosen because he is an outsider, not involved in the struggle for power within the party. And because of the sliver of angel stone implanted in his head.

My thoughts:
How to describe this one? How to do it justice? In Soviet Russia reviews writes you! Anyway...

Yes, this book takes place in a world that is ours, or maybe it is not our world. We have a "Russia" turned "Soviet", ruled by a ruthless dictator, revolutionaries running around in the streets bombing stuff, a war with a place called The Archipelago, and that is all we learn of that place. But that is only the beginning. There is a vast vast forest, there are creatures from Slavic mythology, there are Gods that left, and there was a war in the sky that broke the moon and made angels fall to earth and die. Their flesh used by scientist for their own gain, and one of those angels are still alive, huge, dark and hungry. Hey there was even "Finnish" giant. Now you might to understand that this was different. 

In this fascinating world an investigator named Lom is brought to the capital to find a terrorist. Instead he finds a conspiracy bigger than anything he could have imagined. A city killing itself, earth moving beneath his feet and a world that needs to be saved.

Conclusion:
So, it's a mystery, fantasy, alternate earth, detective story. Really different and honestly just cool.

Cover
It made me think more thriller and not this crazy mix

Paperback, 336 pages
Published January 9th 2014 by Gollancz (first published March 1st 2013)
Wolfhound Century #1
Alternate history / detective story /speculative fiction
For review

39 comments:

  1. A mystery, fantasy, alternate earth, detective story? I must admit you have me both scared and totally curious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds cool. And I'm surprised that he managed to throw so much together and it worked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it could have gone horribly wrong but he made it real

      Delete
  3. the idea is really interesting, I don't think I've ever read something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, that is just a lot of mix rolled into one book! I love your conclusion...lol..it really makes me want to go and pick it up right now. (Well after I get through with the awesome book I'm reading right now!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh awesome book? I am sadly gonna read a book that is gonna make me want to rip my hair out

      Delete
  5. This does sound interesting. Hm.. I do think this sounds cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So alternate history(alternate reality with a touch of mythology? How very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. well this just sounds cool. Thanks for putting it on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Probably not my kid of book but it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not the book for everyone, that's for sure

      Delete
  9. Ahhhhh I love what-if novels. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are just awesome! Though this takes it way beyond beyond it, makes me unsure if this is earth or not

      Delete
  10. Totally a thriller or military suspense cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes something away from what the book is about

      Delete
  11. I love crazy mixes, especially if you throw in alternate history and mystery. The cover made me think more "Thriller" too.

    ~Mogsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought thriller in Soviet? NO, so not the case with angels, rusalkas and all that jazz

      Delete
  12. I've been excited to read more Russia-based books ever since SHADOW AND BONE. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, this one does sound different! And the cover did make me think more "thriller" vs fantasy... I don't know I'm always skeptical about books set in Russia, written by non-Russians (even sometimes written by Russians), but you certainly make it sound cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well here it might work for you since technically it's not Russia. I mean it might just be another world in the end ;) Or not, instead we got freaky big Russia dn Finnish giants

      Delete
  14. I took one look at this cover and thought it had to be a story about Russia! There's always such a distinct feel for books set there, even dystopian-ish books:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds interesting, glad you enjoyed

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok I definitely didn't get that from the cover either. It made me think military fiction and that made me never even read the book description. Sounds interesting but hmm I'm not too interested in the alternate russia/soviet thing honestly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover can fool ya, cos it's so much more than meets the eye

      Delete
  17. Oooo, now this has my attention. Sounds great. And I've not heard of this until now. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I want!! ugly cover though :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP