Monday 24 March 2014

The Golden Apple - Michelle Diener

Kayla's father has made her the prize in a deadly, impossible tournament, and Kayla has retaliated in the only way she knows how; by choosing her champion beforehand. But taking control of the outcome changes the game completely, and when the real reason behind the strange test becomes apparent, Kayla realizes not just her life, but her entire kingdom is at stake.

In order to save his brother, Rane will do whatever he has to--including deceive and betray a princess. He knew nothing about this tournament would be easy, but when it turns into a deeper, far more sinister game, Rane is forced to see it through to the end, or leave his brother at the mercy of their enemy.

Now their fates are entwined, and they must venture into the deep, dark forest together . . . 

Kayla and Rane are bound to one another by an enchantment and Kayla's actions. But the sorcerer forcing them to do his will may have miscalculated, because no-one comes out of the Great Forest unchanged. No-one.

My thoughts:
This story is loosely based on The Princess on the Glass Mountain, I read that story, and I do not remember if I have come across it before. Perhaps long long ago. But like with everything, Diener makes the story her with all it's twists and turns.

Kayla is a princess, but she wants to choose her own destiny and so she does. Afterwards she is put on that glass mountain for a man to win her.

Rane wants to save his brother, and the princess is just a way to it. They have both lied and used each other. But they both also know it. Romance? Well it takes time, they need to trust each other as they are bound together on a journey. And I do like slow-building romance. Considering this is more fairy-tale in my mind than fantasy, I like that is builds, that they need to be friends, or sort of, and to watch each other's backs.

There are dangers, magic, wicked wizards and an enchanted forest, that is not kind to travelers. 

Even if the book does reach somewhat of a conclusion to this story, more is to come. The might have won the battle but not the war. I do wonder how they will over come certain things... ;) I can't wait to read more.

Conclusion:
A fairy-tale like fantasy.

Cover
nice

Paperback, 298 pages
Published March 24th 2014 by Michelle Diener
For review
Fairy-tale remake / Fantasy romance

52 comments:

  1. I haven't read anything by Michelle Diener, but this one sounds interesting. I'm adding it to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore Diener's historical romantic suspense books, and missed this..need to add to my list. I love a good retelling :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the sound of this one, and from your review it sounds like you were rather impressed with it as well. I'll add it to the pile, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read a book by this author and I have not heard of the Princess and the Glass Mountain before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither have I, and the tale did not tell me much, so I can't be sure

      Delete
  5. Oh this one sounds like I would enjoy it. A retelling, but to a story I don't recall reading. Still, I do enjoy these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Huh....this sounds actually pretty good. I'm not 100% sure I see the connection between the story and the golden apple...it may be an inside the book joke. hahaha - I make myself laugh. Get it? xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol you're so cute Carole

      Delete
    2. What? It's just a golden apple, you know, golden, money, good loot

      Delete
    3. haha thanks Mishel. :)

      B....ah I see. xD

      Delete
  7. Sounds good, I like slow-building romance too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Princess On The Glass Mountain, never heard of that til now. Off to check it out...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking forward to more in a series is always a good sign. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I already have Diener on my TBR list :) this one sounds good too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, she is good! And she has different things to choose from

      Delete
  11. Oh my goodness, I'll have to check this out! I love fairy tale retellings and reimaginings!

    ~Mogsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've not tried her. Sounds pretty good and love checking out re-tellings :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've not tried this author either, but fairy tale-like fantasies are kind of a big deal to me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love them :D She has another book too

      Delete
  14. Is there always a fantasy element in her books or is this a new sub-genre for Diener?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, this one and another one is fantasy. The rest are as they are, no fantasy there

      Delete
  15. I'm not sure that I know the story that this is based on but I am still planning on reading and enjoying this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good thing since that way we do not expect things

      Delete
  16. I really enjoyed it too, Linda! Thanks for a lovely review, I agree with every word :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The wicked wizards make this sound special

    ReplyDelete
  18. :) Adding to the list as well. Lovely review Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do love a slow-building romance! And fantasy stories. And fairytales. So this is obviously something I need to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, yes then this one fits all of those

      Delete
  20. This sounds like a really fun read. I guess when I think of a fairy tale, I think that it would end in one book with a HEA, but I'm happy to see that you're enjoying it so much that you're ready to head into book 2. :-D I too love a slow building romance, they are the type of romances that I can really believe in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had hoped it would end with a HEA and one book but alas, a series, both good and bad. I get more, but I have to wait and I do hate to wait

      Delete
  21. Okay, this does sound nice B, glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just can't do any more retellings. They never work for me anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But then read it as a normal story if you do not know the story ;)

      Delete
  23. Oh it's nice, I think I could like this one, the idea is interesting and I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have Daughter of the Sky, and although I haven't read it yet I can see myself choosing this one next. The plot sounds good but I like the fairytale element best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool, I enjoyed that one. I had never read anything set in that place and time before

      Delete
  25. Oooo, does sound good. I like the fairytale feel too. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fairy-tale cover to match the fairy-tale feel ... I like :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP