Monday 12 June 2023

Carole´s Monday: Some choose Darkness

 




Author: Charlie Donlea
Title: Some Choose Darkness
Series: Rory Moore/Lane Phillips #1
Genre: Mystery, Thriller, Contemporary
Format: ebook
Pages: 307
Published: April 2, 2019
Where I Got It: Borrowed from the library

Summary: 
Forensic reconstructionist Rory Moore sheds light on cold-case homicides by piecing together crime scene details others fail to see. Cleaning out her late father’s law office after his burial, she receives a call that plunges her into a decades-old case . . .
 
In the summer of 1979, five Chicago women went missing. The predator, nicknamed The Thief, left no bodies or clues behind—until police received a package from a mysterious woman named Angela Mitchell, whose unorthodox investigations appeared to unmask the killer. Then Angela disappeared without a trace. Forty years later, The Thief is about to be paroled for Angela’s murder. But the cryptic file Rory finds in her father’s law office suggests there is more to the case.
 
Making one startling discovery after another, Rory becomes helplessly entangled in the enigma of Angela Mitchell and what happened to her. As she continues to dig, even Rory can’t be prepared for the full, terrifying truth that is emerging . . .


Review:
This is the next book for my book club. I had enjoyed a previous book by the author so I was pretty excited for this one. 

Here we follow Rory Moore and Angela Mitchell. For Angela's POV it is the year 1979 and there is a serial killer in Chicago, however, the bodies of these missing women cannot be found. Thanks to Angela's unorthodox investigation, she is able to help the police unmask the killer. Still no bodies and she goes missing without a trace. In 2019, Rory Moore is a forensic reconstructionist. She helps shed new light on cold-case murders. When her father unexpectedly passes away, it is up to her to clean out her late father's law office and take care of his clients...she will find herself looking over a decades-old case and representing the serial killer from the 1970s when he goes up for parole. 

Okay. There is a lot going on in this one. Things start happening pretty quickly at the beginning, but there are some slowdowns which was nice. You need some time to learn about Rory in 2019 and Angela in 1979. They are both fumbling with life and what has landed in their laps. 

Omg....poor Rory. Her mom died a couple years ago, now Dad is dead, and then someone else she cares about passes too! Poor thing. She has a cold case she needs to work on and taking up the mantle for her father's clients. She hasn't used her law degree in a while and she is suppose to be in mourning. Lordiieeee. 

Of course, poor Angela too especially when you find out all the truths by the end.

When the big reveal of who the serial killer is I wasn't overly surprised. The person was super sus to me. However........there was something I was surprised by!!!!!! I can't say without spoiling. I still find someone sus of something. IDK, it just bugs me. Can't say. GAH so hard not to just spoil...okay. [SPOILER ALERT] I was totally surprised The Thief's business partner wasn't involved. I was waiting for an accomplice. I mean...he kind of did have a 2nd with his uncle. The uncle let him bury the bodies on his property. WHICH....what did he get out of that??? Sicko. But I truly felt the business partner was going to be a sicko too. [SPOILER ENDED] Okay, I got that off my chest. 

There is another reveal that I didn't see coming at all. Nice twist there. 

At first I was meh about to the two different time periods going on. By the end I grew to like it and understand why it was written the way it was written, but I think I would've liked just Rory's POV and to uncover stuff with her. Like I said...I did end up getting used to it and I did up liking Angela's side of the story.

In the end, this was pretty dang good. I would love to see this be a movie or show. Rory is a fascinating main character. And the twists and turns were good. I'll give this 4 stars. 





4 comments:

  1. This sounds really good. I’ve read a couple of his books and enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a good one. I like a good serial killer mystery.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP