Monday 11 April 2011

Review: What would Mr Darcy do? - Abigail Reynolds

Genre: Jane Austen variation
Pages: 240
Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark, April 1st 2011


But what if Darcy hadn't immediately left the inn? What if Elizabeth Bennet and Fitzwilliam Darcy had chosen to speak their feelings rather than to assume the worst about the other? Jane Austen's beloved characters are given the opportunity to reach out one last time before they part. While their path forward is still filled with misadventures and misunderstandings it is rich with humor, romance, and sensuality as they learn about each other and the meaning of love. But there's still a scandal threatening to engulf the Bennet family, and Elizabeth can't be sure that Darcy's love for her could withstand such a blow. Determined to give Darcy up rather than drag his name through the mud, Elizabeth will have to choose for herself between what she believes is right, and what she wants more than anything..

My thoughts:
This was another lovely Jane Austen variation from Abigail Reynolds. It was sweet, and it made me smile.

In this one the story takes a slight turn at that day at the Inn in Lambton. Instead of him going away at once they talk a bit, she cries a bit, and there is a promise to see each other again. What we have next is Bingely showing up to court Jane, Georgiana writing letters to Elizabeth, and Darcy pining over Lizzy. There are no big surprises or changes, but instead it's a closer look at this couple.

Mr Darcy in this one is lovely, absolutely lovely. He is violently in love as Mrs Gardiner says to Lizzy, and he is just so so, yes in love. It's great to see this passionate side of him and the only thing he wants to do is to court her. Lizzy is Lizzy, firm in her opinions but she has fallen for him, and these two together when they sneak away are such a joy to read about.

At the beginning this book was so cute, and I just had this big grin on my face. Then it became a bit more passionate (ok passionate for that age), lol, just reading about these two saying each other's given names and kissing was plenty.

Conclusion:
A lovely re-telling of a story that I just can't get enough of. I would recommend this one to my fellow JA lovers.

Rating:
Short and nice
Cover:
Good


Review copy from the publisher. All thoughts are my own.


26 comments:

  1. OMG I love the sound of this book. I should get this. Adding it to the list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was ambivalent about this but your review has pushed me into WANT territory! Thanks! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHHH! I must read this!

    "..violently in love "

    I love the sound of that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. *le sigh* Violently in love! What a wonderful feeling.

    I love books that put a smile on your face from the get go. And I'd love to feel more of Mr. Darcy's passion. I totally want this one now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so cute! I never tire of anything to do with Pride and Prejudice and those characters, so I can't wait to read this one:) I need a big smile on my face this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you liked the book, but I hate spin offs. I love the original too much. (As well as the TV series).

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really can't get enough of this story, can you? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a JA retelling as much as the next girl! Better add this to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed this one, too. It was a sweet love story, with some steamy bits. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoy a sweet book from time to time. I bet my mom would love this book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. After dark dystopias such a book is like a glass of crystal-clear, cool water in a hot day. I might be tempted, really!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nina
    Yay, I am glad that you like the sound of it!

    Audra
    Hihi, good ;) I do love spreading the JA variation love around

    Misha
    Oh yes, it was said more than one time, and he was sure passionate at times ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Missie
    He was passionate, he was in love, he was just awww *melts into a puddle* I really liked him in this one

    Jenny
    Then this might be the book to do just that. And it's the same with me, I never get tired of this story, in any form

    Aurian
    I understand where you are coming from, many feel the same

    Janna
    Hihi, the answer is NO! Never :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amused
    I keep wanting to read more and more...and more :D

    Anna
    I even found it steamy when they just held hands, because they were just so into it

    Bermuda
    I bet she would :D

    Ana
    Might be tempted, ohhhh, nice ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought this one was great too and I LOVED Darcy's whole being in this one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I admit I'm kind of tired of all the authors doing Austen spin-offs. I feel they should try to do something more original and leave Austen alone! Though I'm glad you liked it so much! Maybe I'm wrong... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. There must be an infinite number of Mr Darcy books!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I like JA retellings. Yep... this sounds like a book I need. Especially if it puts a smile on your face! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love these type of books. I think I have this one on my Nook.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I never get tired of the different P&P variations and this is going on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Carrie
    It was really cute :D

    Staci
    He was just so wonderful, just like he should be

    Aarti
    I admit, it's not for everyone, but I am hopelessly addicted

    Chris
    Lol, I believe so

    ReplyDelete
  22. Melissa
    Then it must be the book for you :D

    Yvonne
    I hope you do, cos then you can read it :D

    Jenny
    me neither, I just want more and more

    Darlyn
    Me too :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I agree, I really loved this re-telling of such an old favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Alaine
    It was just great and wonderful ;D

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP